PDA

View Full Version : My mode position switch came in today!!!

VXIRONwoMAN
06/12/2007, 02:08 PM
Soooo that means once i get it installed no more crappy shifting!!! Wooo hooo!!! Me and SilverBullet are going to get together and install it! YAY! Another learning experience for Cece!!!

cyronman
06/12/2007, 02:32 PM
your what?

you mean that shift adjuster thingy that Tone has?

VXIRONwoMAN
06/12/2007, 02:46 PM
your what?

you mean that shift adjuster thingy that Tone has?

It's called a mode switch, position switch, mode position switch or whatever...it is known to fail on the VX for whatever reason and it causes my vx to shift very hard from 2nd to 3rd gear. It sounds like a hard clunk and then it kicks...it's really weird. It doesn't happen all the time...and it seems to reset everything if you turn it off and then back on again. there are a few other posts about the problem. that's how i diagnosed my problem. My symptoms were identical to the others. I don't believe Tone has it...I ordered my part from St. Charles Isuzu. Be glad you haven't had this problem yet. It makes me cringe everytime i hear it.

Zorak
06/13/2007, 05:16 AM
This is the Winter/Power switch on the console, right?
What is the part number and how much was it?

etlsport
06/13/2007, 05:18 AM
i dont think thats it, i believe the mode position switch is a small (about 1.5" square and 1" tall) tan box that is located under the center console... if you are loooking for the winter/power mode switch though i see them all the time at scrap yards in rodeos, shoot me a pm and ill pick you one up, probably will cost about 10 bucks

Ldub
06/13/2007, 05:51 AM
and it causes my vx to shift very hard from 2nd to 3rd gear. It sounds like a hard clunk and then it kicks...it's really weird.

I'm not saying it ISN'T the switch you ordered...& this is just a long shot, but a possibility.
I had the same symptom with mine while in the "fine tuning" stages of installing the previously mentioned shift kit from Tone.
It's possible that the previous owner installed the kit & it needs adjustment.
The likely location of the adjustment module would be on the drivers side, up under the engine, where the exhaust pipe comes down from the manifold.
You would have to crawl under & look really hard to find it.( I have a difficult time finding mine sometimes, & I installed it. :rolleyes: )

Just throwing it out there as a "maybe", in case the new switch doesn't solve your problem. ;)

VXIRONwoMAN
06/13/2007, 10:30 AM
I'm not saying it ISN'T the switch you ordered...& this is just a long shot, but a possibility.
I had the same symptom with mine while in the "fine tuning" stages of installing the previously mentioned shift kit from Tone.
It's possible that the previous owner installed the kit & it needs adjustment.
The likely location of the adjustment module would be on the drivers side, up under the engine, where the exhaust pipe comes down from the manifold.
You would have to crawl under & look really hard to find it.( I have a difficult time finding mine sometimes, & I installed it. :rolleyes: )

Just throwing it out there as a "maybe", in case the new switch doesn't solve your problem. ;)

Thanks Big Brother!!! We will see if the problem persists after installation...I am still waiting to hear from SilverBullet. My problem has gotten progressively worse and is an eveyother day occurance and is now shifting slightly funny from 1st to 2nd, really bad between 2nd and 3rd and slightly funny between 3rd and 4th...so....i really hope this works. if not...I am going with Plan B (what ever Big Bro says! :) ) OH...it also randomly says that my Winter Drive is on when it isn't and It says it's in reverse/neutral/Park when i put it in drive when i have this aweful problem...any suggestions? I can't wait to have it fixed!

johnnyapollo
06/13/2007, 10:33 AM
What happens sometimes with Tone's AutoTrans Interceptor Adjustable Electronic Shift Kit is that there's a faulty connection that causes the tranny to lose signal during shifts - it can happen if the connectors aren't completely together (they'll slide apart slightly causing a break in connectivity) or if the wires aren't tied down properly they can wear against the frame or exhaust - the exposed wire causes shorting that can also cause symptoms like you describe. I've heard about the first happening to some members in the past, and actually experienced the second - the zip tie I used to bind the module up broke, causing the module to swing freely - the wires melted against the exhausted and was causing rough shifts for me.

-- John

VXIRONwoMAN
06/13/2007, 10:43 AM
What happens sometimes with Tone's AutoTrans Interceptor Adjustable Electronic Shift Kit is that there's a faulty connection that causes the tranny to lose signal during shifts - it can happen if the connectors aren't completely together (they'll slide apart slightly causing a break in connectivity) or if the wires aren't tied down properly they can wear against the frame or exhaust - the exposed wire causes shorting that can also cause symptoms like you describe. I've heard about the first happening to some members in the past, and actually experienced the second - the zip tie I used to bind the module up broke, causing the module to swing freely - the wires melted against the exhausted and was causing rough shifts for me.

-- John

Thanks! I will have to look into it. I don't believe the previous owner had any work done to it. They weren't even a member here. I am the 2nd owner...bought her with 16K miles. But we will see if they installed Tone's kit when I get this switch installed. Thanks Again!
~Cece

Ldub
06/13/2007, 10:46 AM
OH...it also randomly says that my Winter Drive is on when it isn't and It says it's in reverse/neutral/Park when i put it in drive when i have this aweful problem...any suggestions? I can't wait to have it fixed! :confused:

NOW ya got me scratchin' my head little sister...hope your new switch is the fix! :cool:

Cyrk
06/13/2007, 11:02 AM
I bet it is your mode switch.

I had the same symptoms and one of the tell tail signs is the reverse/neutral/Park thingy and hard shifts in the gears.
I also have the shift kit and it was unrelated to that.

Good Luck with it.

-Dave

cyronman
06/13/2007, 12:33 PM
IRONwoMAN-

did you diagnose this problem from searching around here @.info?
I thought I had heard of all the issues to expect on the VX, but I hadn't heard of this one.
Also, was the switch easy to find?

JOHNNYAPOLLO-
Thanks!
it was the AutoTrans Interceptor Adjustable Electronic Shift Kit I was thinking of. That does sound better than shift thingy, doesn't it...

Zorak
06/13/2007, 12:55 PM
i dont think thats it, i believe the mode position switch is a small (about 1.5" square and 1" tall) tan box that is located under the center console... if you are loooking for the winter/power mode switch though i see them all the time at scrap yards in rodeos, shoot me a pm and ill pick you one up, probably will cost about 10 bucks

Thanks, etl. The winter/power switch is not what I need tho. I called Merlin at St. Charles and he gave me a part # of 8960175110 with shipped price of $135, however he said this switch is on the side of transmission, not under the console. When I checked that part # on the isuzuparts.com site, it came back as a neutral safety switch :confused: Do you know the part # for the mode position switch you are referring to?

VXIRONwoMAN
06/13/2007, 01:00 PM
IRONwoMAN-

did you diagnose this problem from searching around here @.info?
I thought I had heard of all the issues to expect on the VX, but I hadn't heard of this one.
Also, was the switch easy to find?

JOHNNYAPOLLO-
Thanks!
it was the AutoTrans Interceptor Adjustable Electronic Shift Kit I was thinking of. That does sound better than shift thingy, doesn't it...

I did diagnose the problem from searching on vx.info. There are quite a few other threads on it...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=7506&highlight=mode+switch

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=3521&page=1&pp=15&highlight=mode+switch

I haven't yet installed it...so easy to find on the car? I will let you know...I hear it is really easy to find... Easy to locate as a part? Yes! I called St. Charles Isuzu, talked to Merlin, and they knew exactly what i was talking about. They charged me $135 shipping was included. It's normally $158 and some change...They gave me an "internet discount" because I mentioned vx.info.

oh yeah...AutoTrans Interceptor Adjustable Electronic Shift Kit does sound better than shift thingy... :bgwg:

etlsport
06/13/2007, 01:08 PM
i could be wrong about where the mode position switch is.. i was taking a semi educated guess, vxironwoman would know better than me what it looks like

edit.. yea looking though those other threads it looks like its on the side of the transmission.. not sure what the thing im thinking of is lol

biju
06/13/2007, 06:43 PM
funny you should post this. i have one sitting around. Here's what a mode selector switch looks like:

http://www.bijulab.com/images/VX_INFO/mode01.jpg

http://www.bijulab.com/images/VX_INFO/mode02.jpg

http://www.bijulab.com/images/VX_INFO/mode03.jpg

-biju.

Zorak
06/13/2007, 07:36 PM
funny you should post this. i have one sitting around. Here's what a mode selector switch looks like:

-biju.
Before I order 1 from Merlin...any interest in selling yours??

VXIRONwoMAN
06/13/2007, 09:57 PM
Yep!!! Biju's got it! That's what I got! Part number and all!!!

Cece

SilverBullet75
06/13/2007, 09:59 PM
Cece,
The part you ordered... does it look like what Biju just posted?
If so, that's what you need.
Look for my PM... coming your way now... :)

SilverBullet75
06/13/2007, 10:14 PM
You answered my question 2 minutes before I posted it...
I was typing it while you posted yours... LOL

VXIRONwoMAN
06/13/2007, 10:26 PM
You answered my question 2 minutes before I posted it...
I was typing it while you posted yours... LOL
Great minds think alike...lol!!!

biju
06/14/2007, 07:02 AM
Before I order 1 from Merlin...any interest in selling yours??
hi zorak. thx for asking, but not for sale... i have a bad habit of hoarding vx parts over time for the 'just in case' scenario. i think i got this from isuzuparts dot com for roughly 150?

-biju.

JHarris1385
06/14/2007, 07:07 AM
isuzuparts (dot) com. haha

nfpgasmask
06/14/2007, 10:37 AM
I had the EXACT same problem, with the EXACT same symptoms. Changing my trans fluid and filter made the problem disappear. Its been a year and no harsch shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

Bart

It's called a mode switch, position switch, mode position switch or whatever...it is known to fail on the VX for whatever reason and it causes my vx to shift very hard from 2nd to 3rd gear. It sounds like a hard clunk and then it kicks...it's really weird. It doesn't happen all the time...and it seems to reset everything if you turn it off and then back on again. there are a few other posts about the problem. that's how i diagnosed my problem. My symptoms were identical to the others. I don't believe Tone has it...I ordered my part from St. Charles Isuzu. Be glad you haven't had this problem yet. It makes me cringe everytime i hear it.

SilverBullet75
06/14/2007, 10:41 AM
The one symptom that may trump that is the electrical glitch with the dash lights. This is driven by the Trans Mode Switch.
A good idea anyway... changing the fluid/filter. :)
Thanks,
---JIM---

Anita
06/14/2007, 11:15 AM
FYI - When my mode switch went out I had HARD shifts up and down, not just 2nd to 3rd. It came on one morning and shifting was so violent there was no way but limp straight to the mechanic. It did affect the shift point lights on my dash.

SilverBullet75
06/14/2007, 11:21 AM
Hi Anita,
Hope you are doing well!

That's exactly what mine did.
When Cece told me the symptoms I knew it was the mode switch.
I'm going to replace it on the 19th... the circle will then be complete. :)

---JIM---

VXIRONwoMAN
06/14/2007, 10:19 PM
I had the EXACT same problem, with the EXACT same symptoms. Changing my trans fluid and filter made the problem disappear. Its been a year and no harsch shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

Bart

I had my fluid flushed a little less than a year ago along with the filter...problem went away up until I moved to Vegas...and then...it came back... :( Oh well...my baby is getting fixed on the 19th...then no more problems!! YAY! :)

nfpgasmask
06/15/2007, 09:27 AM
Cool. Hopefully it will get you back to normal. Its weird, I almost bought a replacement mode switch too, when mine was shifting bad, but then I just did the trans service and voila, no more bad shifting....

Bart

I had my fluid flushed a little less than a year ago along with the filter...problem went away up until I moved to Vegas...and then...it came back... :( Oh well...my baby is getting fixed on the 19th...then no more problems!! YAY! :)

LittleBeast
06/18/2007, 09:38 AM
I have been having the same hard shifting problem for a while and since it sarted doing this close to a transmission service I assumed they screwed something up. But they even tried the transmission mode selector shifter thing but that only fixed the problem for a few days. Now everytime it shifts out of 1st it blows my gauge fuse, so for a while now I have had no idea how fast I am going what my rpm's are, but even worse I don't know how much gas I have, nor am I adding mileage to the odometer (that might be a good thing). So I have ordered a transmission harness ($237.34) just in case they can't patch up the old harness. We will see.

Ldub
06/23/2007, 06:59 AM
Sooooo...how did the installation go?
............is the shifting back to normal?

............inquiring minds want to know. :confused: ;)

VXIRONwoMAN
06/23/2007, 10:48 AM
All is TEEEEEEErific!!! No more hard shifting!!! YAY!!! It would be an easier install if the Vx wasn't hot!!! but that's Vegas... Other than having to hose down the Vx's belly to cool her off...there were no real big obstacles. My baby is healthy again! Hooray!!!!!!! Thanks SilverBullet for playing Doctor and letting me watch the operation...lol. She drives like she should now!!!!

SilverBullet75
06/23/2007, 01:07 PM
Glad I could help!
I didn't really get to check out all your mods and all, but, I gotta say.. you've got one of the cleanest VX's I've seen yet! Now, it drives like it looks! yay! :)

SilverBullet75
06/23/2007, 01:11 PM
Oh, by the way... regarding the mode switch itself, I think it would be a wise preventative maintenance mod for everyone to buy a short length of Headerwrap for the area right by the mode switch...
Undoubtedly the heat is the culprit of this recurring problem in many VX's.
There is already a THIN metal heat shield that is clipped on the unit itself... but, talk about weak!

---JIM---

Ldub
06/23/2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the tip Jim, since I'm already under there today, I think I'll do just that.

JHarris1385
06/23/2007, 01:32 PM
Where exactally should that wrap go? I was just under there today re-lifting it to put my pro-comps back on and take the 20's off.

SilverBullet75
06/23/2007, 02:18 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Trans_Mode_Switch.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Trans_Mode_Switch.jpg)

Ok... it's a VERY crude image, I know... (wow... really hard to write using a touch pad on a laptop)

Wrap the area with the cheezy grey texture... See how close it is to the switch?
Hope this helps.
Sorry so crude.
Don't mind my oil leak... that's next week's project. :)

Triathlete
06/23/2007, 03:47 PM
Just a quick question...is there a gasket of some sort where that switch is attached? I seem to have a very slight fluid leak that appears to be coming from that same area.

SilverBullet75
06/23/2007, 03:52 PM
I would expect there to be an oil seal on the actual shaft that the mode switch slides over. The shaft goes straight into the transmission. I don't have any details though... sorry.

mdwyer
07/24/2007, 08:48 PM
By the way, I did my dilligent study of the repair manuals. When the switch reports an illegal position (like being in D and L at the same time), the computer notices this. If this problem lasts more than 5 seconds, the computer thinks, "Well, we're just going to assume it is in D. We're going to turn off torque control and also set the pressure to HIGH. We'll also file away an error code, but we're not going to turn on any warning lights... cuz we suck that way."

As most of us have reported, there are two symptoms: The shifts are VERY hard. We're talking 'scary'. The other symptom is, for the first five seconds, your dashboard will report random shift positions.

By the way, if you're having this problem now, a workaround might be to pull over, turn off the engine, sweep the gear shift back and forth a few times, then turn the engine back on. The sweeping MIGHT clean dirty contacts, and turning off the engine will cause the computer to clear the limp-home mode.

It would be an easier install if the Vx wasn't hot!!!

You and SilverBullet installed it while the engine was hot?! :eek: Do you have any skin left?!

I'm working on installing mine right now, and the engine is about as cold as it can get in my garage. There's FAR too much stuff in the way! My tools barely fit if at all. I cannot IMAGINE trying to do it while any of those parts are hot!

Did you have much trouble adjusting it once you got it installed?

biju
07/25/2007, 06:07 AM
my turn to replace the switch. thanks for the good info ^ everyone...

i knew the switch would come in handy someday. mdwyer, maybe we *should* have a mode selector switch install party at your place!!! :p :p It could be BYOB and BYOMSS...

-biju.

SilverBullet75
07/25/2007, 08:37 AM
Did you have much trouble adjusting it once you got it installed?

Hi, once it was installed there was no problem adjusting it... There is only about a centimeter of adjustment available anyway. When I installed my own (3 yrs ago), I didn't know it could be adjusted. This time, I made sure to note the position of the old one before taking it off, putting it back on in the same position.

Doing the project while the VX was hot... that was fun... :)
We actually had access to my garden hose, which helped.

So, CeCe, if you're reading this... What's the scoop? How's it doing after a month+?

VXIRONwoMAN
07/26/2007, 03:16 PM
She is doing great!! No problems at all!!! Riding like a champ! But now the Proton is being driven more...but I will have to take the Ironman on one last run before Daddy comes to pick her up... Thanks Again!!!