PDA

View Full Version : anyone else miss J.B. and Coastie ?

Chopper
06/11/2007, 04:00 PM
I just don't think Joe likes us any more... I miss decoding Coastie's posts. I hope to meet him one of these days. Gotta get a Central Fla. meet together...before they try to turn him into cannon fodder :rolleyes: :(

PHO2GR4
06/11/2007, 04:44 PM
I'm pretty sure Costie is...um..."busy" with his new bride, isn't he?

I could be mistaken, but I thought he was getting married. And had posted a photo of his fiancée.

I mean, the VX is curvy, and handles like a dream...but I think the man has his priorities straight!

;) :cool:

nfpgasmask
06/11/2007, 04:46 PM
OK, yeah, so what's Joe's excuse? I really hope he comes out with a boat load of photos of his Rally VX along with some sweet offroad stories... :)

Bart

Chopper
06/11/2007, 05:06 PM
Coastie is in bootcamp, he left about a week ago.

etlsport
06/11/2007, 05:09 PM
lol i think joe is busy.. last i heard he was under construction of a new garage facility...

lol costie is in cape may nj running miles and miles every morning with the rest of the coast guard recruits... sometime in the next couple weeks i plan on driving out there and making sure to drive down the street while they are doing their morning run down the main road in cape may.. i have no idea what he looks like but i figure he will be the one who falls out of formation when i drive by in the VX haha

VCrossfan
06/11/2007, 05:26 PM
I don't miss Coastie...His comments to ROWHARD... Uncalled for

Man, u took it hard, and personal, chill the F*^& out. i was just saying thats way 2 much for old stuff. but thats what i think. u are almost 60 years old and u need to grow the F&%^ Up man, gosh i thought in life many would learn to take advise or some1's openion espacally after being here on the planet for 60 years, if you don't like what i said just brush it off, So Just Chill out, "OK BRO ;) " Actually I'm sorry, heres a Flower for you :flower: , I hope that will cheer you up ;Do; .

johnnyapollo
06/11/2007, 07:18 PM
Exchanged several emails with Joe tonight - I'll ping him that he's being missed - busy as a beaver, that rascal is....

-- John

Joe_Black
06/11/2007, 08:21 PM
busy as a beaver, that rascal is....

Yes, yes... Very true and all too accurate, although for the time being I ain't going any where or getting ANYTHING else. The drama of the flipped CUCV has come to a temporary close with the truck finally making it here after a 12-hour tow from Atlanta a couple weeks ago. 45MPH top speed for 470 miles makes you VERY appreciative of satellite radio.

http://www.planetarydomination.com/M1028/tow_home.jpg

As etlsport mentioned I am involved in getting my first shop building up and am busy getting updated plans and re-permitting the changes. Fun fun! The rally VX is awaiting about 100' of tube for the cage and a new radiator, but is completely gutted on the inside and significantly lighter now. There are a few more body sections that are unnecessary that will be removed soon too, I've got some pics I'll link up in the "Rally Beast" thread.

Been busy with my Caterpillar and HCEA (Historical Construction Equipment Association) duties as I was recently elected chapter president, much to my dismay. "Railroaded" I think they call it! Got to play on a bunch of old yellow iron (and some new stuff too) and hob-knob with a bunch of like-minded folk at our annual get-together this past May in Kansas on the Potawatomie Indian reservation.

Also busy shifting my "inventory" around as I somehow keep accumulating large things. The squished CUCV and a recently acquired Austin Champ have to be moved along with two more diesel Mercedes to my holding area, which is a challenge since I'm without a car trailer after the CUCV mishap. I also recently came into ownership of a 50-ton lowboy but thinks likely a bit overkill, plus it hasn't been delivered yet (see, someone is bringing it to me, I'm not going to get it!)

And to top it all off we're working to get rallycross going again in my area courtesy of a friend with some acreage in the area that's zoned commercial. Although I have to wait to get the lowboy before I can move my heavy equipment to his place to start laying out the course.

So I haven't forgotten my dear VX family, just my own VX activities have been curtailed by circumstance. Not to mention that my IronMan has been in my shop for over a month for new brake rotors and pads all the way 'round. St. Charles sent me knuckle bearings instead of wheel bearings, so that set me back a little time-wise. Taking plenty of pics for a full how-to on my VX site when done, and I'll update with an on-going review of the PowerSlot Frozen Rotors and Axxis Ultimate pads.

On the window fix project (I just know someone was going to ask) I managed to get my home garage cleaned out so I could use the tooling we purchased for the project, but then had to move our three motorcycles here due to storage issues. I'm trying to work out the space so I can get on the tools and also work on the bikes too, so that's a source of frustration right now. Might have to go visit Chopper to see about getting one of 'em painted! ;)

Anyway, more time is on the immediate horizon and I'm just all kinds of happy about that!

JHarris1385
06/11/2007, 09:38 PM
VFan remember to read the whole thread on the one you pasted from. It is all good now, just some misunderstanding. And it truly did seem like most of his posts were being brushed off as non-sense and a few were being a little to openly harsh with him being a new comer. That is why i took my time to reply to most everyone of his post to make him feel welcomed and so at least some of his questions can be answered. So, V look back at his timeline and really put yourself in his shoe's you would feel like an outcast trying hard to fit in.

ZEUS
06/11/2007, 10:14 PM
Can't we all just get along....???!!!

:argue: :_crying:

Joe, that sucks about the CUCV. I gotta couple cabs in Wyoming... :naughty:
I am not sure if I missed a post somewhere about how the roll over happened... care to elaborate or throw me a link?

PHO2GR4
06/11/2007, 11:17 PM
I don't miss Coastie...His comments to ROWHARD... Uncalled for

Wow, I had no idea. That's harsh. John's a great guy...I've met him personally. Nobody in this forum deserves that kind of disrespect, but that goes double for John.

Who needed to grow up, again?

rowhard
06/12/2007, 04:12 AM
Ta Mate

Joe_Black
06/12/2007, 06:25 AM
[i]Joe, that sucks about the CUCV. I gotta couple cabs in Wyoming... :naughty:
I am not sure if I missed a post somewhere about how the roll over happened... care to elaborate or throw me a link?
Well, one tragedy led to a bunch of opportunity. The upside is that insurance totalled it very much in my favor and I bought the whole thing back for $300. All I need now is an IP rebuild to address the disintegrating govenor flex-ring, and cab with a title. The bed and chassis are all perfect. So I'm on the hunt for a civvie cab with AC and power windows/locks so I can have some creature comforts but will repaint the whole thing with desert tan CARC to keep it military. Plus I'm thinking of going manual and put an Nv4500 behind the 6.2 which will give me a nice overdrive without having to worry about changing the 4.56 diffs, not to mention all the other benefits like PTO.

The scene on I-75 south of Atlanta about a month ago:

http://www.planetarydomination.com/M1028/crunch.jpg

Here's the bulk of the story in two threads from the Steel Soldiers forum...

Part 1: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=116789&highlight=#116789

Part 2: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=120069&highlight=#120069

WormGod
06/12/2007, 08:00 AM
Damn man, you just bought that too didnt you?

ZEUS
06/12/2007, 08:05 AM
WOW! Well, I gotta say... that is the most aerodynamic CUCV I have ever seen! :) I am glad nobody was hurt, Joe. That is pretty crazy - my dad and I have towed trucks and Jeeps on a trailer like that all over the place. That is strange it whip tailed! Even the last big tow trip included the CJ-7 on the trailer and my truck bed converted to trailer being towed behind that! The whole setup did the tail wag sometimes, but not to dangerous limits... it's just crazy to see this happened to a single car hauler! Thanks for the link BTW - I'll have to join up to that forum when I get back into my CUCVHumVee project... Assuming the truck makes the trip down to SLC!!! :p

etlsport
06/12/2007, 08:10 AM
wow! glad you werent hurt in all of that!!

J.. even if costie apologized for blowing up etc.. there really isnt excuse for getting nasty like that, if i recall right hes done it more than once and threatened to leave the forum etc etc cause he didnt get responses like he wanted.. very childish... that said.. i do miss his enthusiasm about the VX

nfpgasmask
06/12/2007, 08:34 AM
Wow Joe, I just read your story. Amazing you guys made it out safe and no one got hurt! Reminds me a of a trailer mishap I had back in 98. I was towing a car with a 14' Uhaul and a 2-wheel tow dolly. I safely dropped off the car and then on my way to return the light, empty trailer, and on a particularly bad road west of Chicago, while it was about 15 degrees and sleeting, the 2 wheel tow dolly came off the hitch, swinging wildly back and forth as it hung on with the safety chains. All I saw in my mirror was sparks flying all over the place and cars and trucks swerving to avoid me as I pulled off onto the basically non-existant shoulder. I jumped out, heaved the dolly back onto the hitch and quickly merged back into the heavy traffic and off the highway. I was lucky I didn't cause a huge pile up. Several cars and trucks just barely missed hitting me as I was on the shoulder. Scary stuff.

Anyway, glad you and the wife are ok.

Bart

JHarris1385
06/12/2007, 09:27 AM
What about SPAZZ??
Where is he?

ZEUS
06/12/2007, 09:36 AM
The last I talked to SPAZZ he told me his computer was having serious issues. The guy is not healthy though, which could be part of his absence as well. Plus, I am sure his kid is keeping him busy too.

JHarris1385
06/12/2007, 09:41 AM
I thought I had probably just missed some post on here from him. His knowlegde is needed and very helpfull around here, he has been missed thats for sure. I hope all is well with him, his offspring, and computer gets better too. No really I did not know he was ill at all or what from.

VCrossfan
06/12/2007, 11:15 AM
VFan remember to read the whole thread on the one you pasted from. It is all good now, just some misunderstanding. And it truly did seem like most of his posts were being brushed off as non-sense and a few were being a little to openly harsh with him being a new comer. That is why i took my time to reply to most everyone of his post to make him feel welcomed and so at least some of his questions can be answered. So, V look back at his timeline and really put yourself in his shoe's you would feel like an outcast trying hard to fit in.

Mr. Harris I did read the post when it happened and before I mentioned it here again. Rowhard had items for sale for his price (which was a fair price) Coastie responded with his 2 cents on Row's price on HIS items (old rims and tires), and a bro thrown in. Row's response was... costie, I'm not your bro, okay.... Then Coastie let loose about age, time on earth, well here it is again...

Man, u took it hard, and personal, chill the F*^& out. i was just saying thats way 2 much for old stuff. but thats what i think. u are almost 60 years old and u need to grow the F&%^ Up man, gosh i thought in life many would learn to take advise or some1's openion espacally after being here on the planet for 60 years, if you don't like what i said just brush it off, So Just Chill out, "OK BRO ;) " Actually I'm sorry, heres a Flower for you :flower: , I hope that will cheer you up ;Do; .

He is young and new to the forum and maybe he had a bad day I don't know but it was uncalled for and he has not responded to that link again?? He knows it was alittle over the edge to say that to a fellow VX'r

VXIRONwoMAN
06/12/2007, 11:37 AM
Mr. Harris I did read the post when it happened and before I mentioned it here again. Rowhard had items for sale for his price (which was a fair price) Coastie responded with his 2 cents on Row's price on HIS items (old rims and tires), and a bro thrown in. Row's response was... costie, I'm not your bro, okay.... Then Coastie let loose about age, time on earth, well here it is again...

He is young and new to the forum and maybe he had a bad day I don't know but it was uncalled for and he has not responded to that link again?? He knows it was alittle over the edge to say that to a fellow VX'r

"The thing I hate about an arguement is that it always interrupts a discussion." -G.K. Chesteron

;) So let's not dwell on the past and get on with our happy lives and enjoy the forums! We all have, IMO, the coolest vehicle on the road!!! It's beautiful outside, take the VX out for ride and enjoy the gorgeous weather!

Cece

(Sorry for the interruption...back to our sponsers...) :p

tomdietrying
06/12/2007, 11:40 AM
To answer the question -
Coastie - No

Joe - Yes

Peace.
Tom

ZEUS
06/12/2007, 11:51 AM
OUCH! Coastie has had his moments - good and bad. But we all have... the guy will be gone for awhile so all the haters can baske in that for the time being. But, geez, cut the guy a break! The thing with email and forums is the lack of personality and emotion - sometimes things are read other than how they were intended which sucks! I know I have read comments from others thinking they were being an arse for saying that and then I reread it and figured out I was the arse! Maybe Coastie learned something from all that came about - I think he deserves a chance to prove himself when he comes back online. Meeting so many of the people in Moab opened my eyes to how little or how wrong you can read a person by reading only what they write.

JHarris1385
06/12/2007, 12:17 PM
Some of you were too harsh on the guy, he was just trying to fit in. Really he posted things that even I at first were like, eh thats not worth replying to; I might just tell him to use the serch button.

But anyways I just mainly enjoyed sitting at the computer reading his post and thinking what in the he^^ is he trying to say here. His enthusiasm should be missed. He did a lot in a little time to his VX and Im sure he be back like a storm when he is out of boot camp. Yeah that post was uncalled for I never gave him justifciation on that one, but he man upped and appologized. So forgive and forget.

VCrossfan
06/12/2007, 02:01 PM
Sounds good JHarris. I'm sure he had alot on his plate with leaving his life to go to boot camp...and I never knew he appologized to ROWHARD ? ? ?

cyronman
06/12/2007, 02:30 PM
What about SPAZZ??
Where is he?

I recently PM'd him about something and he responded 2 days ago.
It was short and to the point, although that was the first time I've ever 'spoken' to him.

Ascinder
06/12/2007, 03:09 PM
I got the same type of response when I emailed SPAZZ about some gearing a few weeks to a month ago. Short and to the point. I bet he either: 1. Has a lot on his plate or, 2. He just got sick of the VX.

Note: #2 is not really an option.

It would be great to have these guys back on full time. It's pretty sad to lose any experienced people who have 'been there done that'. And yeah, I miss Costie too. He is a little rough around the edges, but his heart seemed to be in the right place, at least when he could keep his mouth shut. ;) He got his VX right around the same time I got mine, and it was interesting to see the different paths evolve and go their separate routes.

Chopper
06/12/2007, 03:28 PM
Like the content or not, the posts themselves never fail to amuse me. I agree with almost none of them, I don't like anything that gets glued or screwed onto a car that does not make it go faster, or handle better. Fake scoops, useless hood leashes, and big red mudflaps just aren't my style. I believe i'm one of the ones that was a little harsh...but over childishness not newcommer status. I was not aware of the blowup above... that said...GOOD JOB JOE!!! We do frame/body swaps all the time ;) As for the paint work, bring 'em over... Sherwin Williams has come out with a line of pretty trick paint called Planet Color, think H.O.K.. Heavy pearls, sweet flip types, strong candies, even a "texture" group with a rubbery feel. I'm doin a S10 in the new "self-healing clearcoat" this week to see how it works out. (it's a S.W. reps car) Rock chips and small scratches will "heal" in bright sunlight. Exciting stuff...I think I'm gonna shoot the Lightning in this stuff...nice, trick,burgandy pearl, flip...then top it with the new clear. These colors are perfect for a scooter....even have the artist if you wanna get fancy, or even inappropriate. :p Give me a call 386-446-0224 Flagler Collision

Joe_Black
06/12/2007, 04:32 PM
LOL, thanks for the "feedback" Wayne! :p As mentioned chassis and bed are straight and unharmed, and fortunately sourcing 73-87 Chevy truck parts is about the easiest thing imaginable. Just found out today I don't need to get a titled cab and can just get the DMV to issue a rebuilt title from the salvage one I'm going to end up with.

I'll get in touch with you on the paint though. It's my '74 Z1 which is currently a battered metallic blue, and I'd like to go to a candy green like on the '01 Kaw ZX12R. I had my '84 GPz1100 done like that in a 3-stage and it came out gorgeous, so something similar would be great. Tempted to get subtle ghost flames on the leading areas, but that's still a coin-toss. ;)

Anita
06/12/2007, 04:34 PM
hi joe!! Dont be such a stranger ...

johnnyapollo
06/12/2007, 07:26 PM
What year is that Champ? Is it the earlier model with the Rolls engine? I worked on one of those in the past - lotta torque but no top end.

-- John

Joe_Black
06/13/2007, 06:05 AM
What year is that Champ? Is it the earlier model with the Rolls engine? I worked on one of those in the past - lotta torque but no top end.

-- John
I think it's a '52 but not sure, although it does have the Rolls-Royce B100 engine and is the military version. The starter is currently off but we haven't had a chance yet to drag it around for a pull start. What I'd like to do is put the engine from the Mercedes 240D in it, which would make for a much better power band with lots of torque (diesel baby!) and eliminate a whole host of typically English electrical issues. Since the Champ has an unorthodox drivetrain an adapter plate should be an easy fab.

Of course, if the Rolls sputters to life with a pull start I might just put the diesel swap off for a little while. ;)

JHarris1385
06/13/2007, 07:21 AM
Joe can I ask, what do you do for a living?

rowhard
06/13/2007, 09:23 AM
Well I miss JB for his knowledge and insight of things mechanical and I'll end there.

Joe_Black
06/13/2007, 11:10 AM
Joe can I ask, what do you do for a living?
You know, there's a really long thread that covers that question. :p I'm basically a field tech for a large bank and support everything from the demarc to the desktop, and have been slaving away here for about 10 years. My area has 34 locations across two counties in central Florida. The pay is crap but they leave me alone and unsupervised, which is priceless. ;)

Well I miss JB for his knowledge and insight of things mechanical and I'll end there.
Wow, I fake it better than I thought! LOL! :p

JHarris1385
06/13/2007, 11:27 AM
I guess that explains it. I was just wondering why you have soo many trucks and what purpose do they serve.

Joe_Black
06/13/2007, 02:18 PM
Oh, I've just got way too many hobbies and interests. If I were independently wealthy I'd likely be out acquiring obscure oddball little-known vehicles and machinery in addition to fabricating stuff. ;)

Chopper
06/13/2007, 03:27 PM
Oh, I've just got way too many hobbies and interests. If I were independently wealthy I'd likely be out acquiring obscure oddball little-known vehicles and machinery in addition to fabricating stuff. ;)
Me too!