PDA

View Full Version : Black Hood Insert Raising in One Corner

DeepSilentComplete
06/07/2007, 11:01 AM
I took my VX in to the dealer to have some work done recently and asked that they tack down the driver's upper corner of the black hood insert. They didn't, so now I have to take it back in. Apparently that insert is clipped into the hood, correct? From my inspection it seems that the clip has separated. Any thoughts?

Marc

JHarris1385
06/07/2007, 11:18 AM
Good question I have that exact symptom.

Ldub
06/07/2007, 11:44 AM
Gently pull the insulation blanket off the underside of the hood (held on with barbed fasteners) & you can see the nuts that hold the insert to the hood.

rowhard
06/07/2007, 03:01 PM
I have my old one if you need a picture of the under side so you can see where the mount bolts if it is a case if it being loose or is it delaminating?

JHarris1385
06/07/2007, 03:03 PM
A picture would be nice before I take off my insert to clean under neath and fix why its popping up in one side and also clean out the drain plugs.

rowhard
06/07/2007, 04:13 PM
as requested

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_0053.JPG
At the 3 o'clock position, one of the mounts is broken
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_0058.JPG
No biggie to repair

Bieredalsace
06/07/2007, 07:35 PM
Is that hood insert with the scoop still available somewhere? I'd love to get one..along with the IRONMAN decal that goes in the center hood.
Any suggestions where to find these things??
Thanks

JHarris1385
06/08/2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks Row, im going to take mine off and clean underneath and tackle that rasing in one corner problem. I think the owner before me put some of that monkey **** tape in there to hold it down.

rowhard
06/08/2007, 03:08 PM
J, no problem, was take snaps of what I wanted chromed for that guy up north to get a guessitmate so the camera was handy.

You might get lucky and find it's nothing more then the nut fell off and if it is, while your out buying a replacement, pick up a lotto ticket since the luck is with you - John

Joe Isuzu
06/10/2007, 06:28 PM
I've had the same problem for some time with mine, thankfully it's summer so the heat made the insert expand and lay relatively flat
My guess is that the glue that holds the little bolts to the hood insert fails over time and the insert "frees" itself from the bolt, apparently the prior owner had the problem as well and used a glob of urethane to "smush" the insert down onto the metal hood, I plan on trying to fix the problem over the summer but if that fails I went ahead and got a replacement insert as well just in case

JHarris1385
06/11/2007, 11:17 AM
Took mine off and washed and waxed it underneath. Man it was dirty. Plus my drain holes were clogged. Glad I did this.

Mine was popping up in the drivers side corner, becuase the 4 o'clock adapter round cross thing had come loose from the insert. So im getting some epoxy toinght and glueing her down.

Iv have been driving around since last night without a hood insert. The hood insert draws lots of the attention I belive. It looks wierd without it.

JHarris1385
06/13/2007, 08:48 AM
Well I glued the insert and round mount back together and installed it last night to find the corner popping up again this morning. The epoxy I got I guess just was not enough. Any suggestions?

rowhard
06/13/2007, 09:21 AM
Well, the epoxy might be stong enough, maybe. Try first giving it some tooth, a painting expression. Sand both parts with some coarse sandpaper, wipe with MEK, or what have you then reglue but this time tape the piece in place. Again give it 24 hours to cure and maybe it will work. If that doesn't work I have another suggestion - John

PWX1
06/22/2007, 09:41 PM
That insert when hot can fry an egg so naturally had one corner (passenger) coming up. Pulled up that side a bit and saw the round thingamajig, bolt was not loose so used some pit crew adhesive applied to the thingamajig and insert above only and laid some weight on it (in the form of a 20 pound rock). It's held perfect for 6 weeks hot sun to cold garage + some colorado rain. mt. hail and car washes.
If i comes up again i'll pull it like suggested (not too late if you are light on the adhesive) but as the title says lazy fix.
Peace and don't throw rocks cause i'm too lazy to dodge them