PDA

View Full Version : VX Buying Guide/Checklist

returner
06/06/2007, 09:08 AM
Hi,

I am new in the forum and also about to become VX owner.

I came across a 99 VX on sale, and would like to buy it, as I like the car very much, although it was design 10yrs ago, but it still looks futuristic for me.....

I will arrange to view and test drive the VX, hence I need some advice from all the VX owner/expert/guru here to share your experience and guide me on what to look for and what to check in order to minimize the risk of buying a problematic car.

Appreciate your help and guidance.

Thanks.
Returner :bgwp:

Dino
06/06/2007, 09:46 AM
I was in your shoes a month ago. I wanted to buy an Ebony 2000 I had my eye on, and I came here to ask advice.. I bought it, or stole it some said... and the rest is history as they say. ;)

Ask about maintenance history and how often the oil was changed AND if the PCV valve was also changed regularly. Ask if it uses oil and has to be topped off a lot. Look under the hood, pull the oil dipstick and look at it. It should NOT be all burned smelling and black. It should be slick feeling with no grittiness. It should NOT be consuming a lot of oil!!!!

Look under the car for fluids. A wet, oily transmission pan and a dry engine oil pan means tranny leaks, and that is bad on this tranny. Check the front axle rubber boots. They may be split open in which case you'll see some grease nearby that has been flung out. Take a look at the brake pads and rotors. Rotors that have deep grovves worn in them should be replaced.

Check the lights for proper function, wipers etc.

Take a test drive. The tranny should shift smoothly and drop down a gear when you depress the pedal more than half way-ish. The shift should be quick and smooth. Watch the TOD lights on the dash. the fronts should light up when you quickly depress the throttle, especially on dirt.

Look for a check engine light or ABS light. If these remain on something is a miss. The ABS light can be on and you'll still have good brakes, just no anti-lock function. The windows are a problem. They bind up and go slow or fail completely. There are a few fixes that work well posted here so not to worry if they don't work right.

The stock speakers suck so if they sound like crap it's just because they're old and worn out. You'll just need to replace the speakers.

Hope this helps. Have fun and as they say, "welcome to the osession..."

:p

returner
06/06/2007, 10:10 AM
Hi Dino,

Thanks a lot for your williness and unselfishness to share your experience.

Btw, mind to share what is your purchasing price? The seller are asking for USD28K for the VX, what do you think?

Its ok if it is not convenient for you to disclose your purchasing price, just hint me whether it is reasonble to price it at USD28K for a 99 VX (3.2L).

Thanks again.
Returner :smilewink

Scott Harness
06/06/2007, 10:57 AM
Are you saying 28,000 dollars. US dollars. :eek:

TexVeX
06/06/2007, 11:03 AM
I was just about to ask that same thing. In my mind, No way is worth that much unless I guess if has never been driven? No one is paying that much anymore from what I have seen. Look around. The Vehicross is a great vehicle and I recommend you go through with trying one out. Go ahead and test drive the one you are looking at. If it is at all suitable to you you will fall in love. But don't pay more than kelly for one that hasn't had tons of cool modifications and been kept pristine.

returner
06/06/2007, 11:05 AM
Yes, one of the dealer quoted me MYR96,000 which is equivalent to USD28,095.35 (as per today exchange rate @ 1 MYR = 0.2926 USD).

But, my asking price is not more then MYR60,000 = USD17,559.00

Is it too expensive for a 99 VX?

Thanks & rgds

returner
06/06/2007, 11:09 AM
TexVex,

You mentioned not to pay more then what Kelly paid, may I know how much is Kelly paid earlier? Or what is the reasonable price for a 99 VX 3.2L with milleage about 50K KM?

Thanks & rgds

tomdietrying
06/06/2007, 11:14 AM
So how many miles is on that 99 VX? I'm guessing a 99 w/ 100,000 miles should cost you $10,000 - $11,000 in the U.S. You might can even find one cheaper than that.
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
I'm selling my 2001 with 80,000 miles for only MYR96,000 ;Dy;

TexVeX
06/06/2007, 11:16 AM
I'm sorry. I should have been more clear. I mean the kelly blue book price. My bad. :D let me look that up for you and then edit this post.

Ok, here is the edit. Kelly bluebook listing suggested retail price for a 99 is $9,345. I think that may be an average. I recently paid $7,700 plus tax, title and license for a very clean great condition '99. A 2001 is only listed at $11,425
retail. But any year, '99, '00, '01, are frequently selling for less on Ebay.

Ascinder
06/06/2007, 11:24 AM
I just bought a 99 ironman in great, if not excellent shape for $7,250 six months back, so yes that price is ridiculous unless the VX comes in a glass display case and includes the super rare factory shovel.

returner
06/06/2007, 11:26 AM
So how many miles is on that 99 VX? I'm guessing a 99 w/ 100,000 miles should cost you $10,000 - $11,000 in the U.S. You might can even find one cheaper than that.
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
I'm selling my 2001 with 80,000 miles for only MYR96,000 ;Dy;

According to the seller it is about 50,000KM (31,068 miles). Hmmm.....if 99 VX with 100,000 miles cost about USD10,000 - USD11,000. Then I think my asking price of USD17,000 should be reasonable... FYI, car pricing is much more expensive here as compare to US.

TexVeX
06/06/2007, 11:27 AM
heheh, that factory shovel joke again.

What does MY stand for. I thought it was a US state abreviation. hahaha on me. :D
Oh I see. What I get for not looking at the first part closely. Thats Malasia.

returner
06/06/2007, 11:38 AM
TexVex, Ascinder & Tomdietrying,

Thanks for sharing. As mentioned earlier, car pricing is much more expensive here at MY as compare to US, but not sure what is the gap.

If according to what Ascinder mentioned, it is about 3x the price in MY (asking price from the seller) as compare to the prices in US. But I am willing to pay slightly more then double, which is about USD15,000 - USD17,000 here in MY for the 99 VX. Or should I re-consider my asking price....Hmmm......

TexVeX
06/06/2007, 11:44 AM
Considering where you are if they are harder to find there then that price may actually be justified. I have no idea how many would be there. There are quite a few just in Dallas, Texas alone. But if it is a rare enough find and they dont come up often, disregard everything I said previously about price and pay watever you are willing to pay. Hey as long as you can afford it. And If you love the vehicle, and all.

But in your bargaining I would consider argueing that the price of many replacement parts in the future would be a large expense. If that even is a bargaining issue that would work. I dunno.

returner
06/06/2007, 11:52 AM
TexVex, If I am not mistaken and this is from one of the contact I have in MY, there are less then 10x here in MY. Yes, you are correct, I did mentioned to the dealer and the seller that considering the spare part availability here in MY and some potential issue that the car have as my bargaining point.

Thanks

TexVeX
06/06/2007, 11:55 AM
Keep us updated on how it all goes. Some of us who recently got ours still get excited for others when we know someone else is in the buying process. It was only about a month and one week ago when I was scrambling to come up with the cash for mine. :)

JHarris1385
06/06/2007, 12:08 PM
Returner that is a good price.....But I would shoot for 15K american dollars, and then go from there.

Reasons why it is a good price.
Extreme rarity
Vehicles overseas ARE more expensive, like 35% or so more.

tom4bren
06/06/2007, 12:34 PM
Maybe in retrospect I paid too much for mine. A few months ago I paid $15K for a yellow '00 with a 3" lift and 33x12.50s (no other mods that I can tell). BUT ... I love the VX so no regrets. BTW it only had 32K miles.

I don't mean to highjack the thread but someone pointed something out that I've been meaning to ask. My TOD indicator shows the bottom set of lights anytime the vehicle is rolling. I have gotten the next set to light under hard acceleration. I've only gotten all three sets when I was driving in snow and got the rear wheels spinning on purpose.

Is this normal? In reading between the lines earlier in the thread, it sounded like the TOD indicator should only light when you break traction.

returner
06/06/2007, 12:35 PM
TexVex, sure. I will update you all the progress.

JHarris1385, thanks for the advice. Will try my best to negotiate for the best/reasonable price.

JHarris1385
06/06/2007, 12:43 PM
Tom your fine.

The bottom should always be lit. The split between the wheels before more is needed in front is 85 - 15.

Mark B
06/06/2007, 12:51 PM
How about this deal.
I will sell you my 2000 green dragon with 39,000 miles.
It will only cost you $ 25,000 instead of the $ 28.000. You save $ 3,000
Just kidding, I would not sell my VX.
I bought my VX from the original owner in March 2006.
Paid $14,900.
Since it was from the original owner, I was willing to pay more for a great vehicle.

returner
06/06/2007, 01:02 PM
Ok. Deal. USD25,000 inclusive of the shipment and taxes.

Me too, just kidding :bgwp: . Actually I already inform the seller that my asking price is USD17,000. Not more then that.

Anita
06/06/2007, 01:12 PM
so yes that price is ridiculous unless the VX comes in a glass display case and includes the super rare factory shovel.

LOL Youre bad! :naughty:

Ascinder
06/06/2007, 02:04 PM
I could swear that you can get Vehicross' from Japan for fairly cheap and even with shipping it would be less or close to your asking price. I want to say it was Dutchie that could get ahold of them over there, but I'm not sure.

Chopper
06/06/2007, 02:36 PM
The way Japanese emissions and saftey regs are written, I don't think long term vehicle ownership is an option for very many. I'd be suprised if there were more than a handful left in the entire country.

Techy-D
06/06/2007, 03:07 PM
The way Japanese emissions and saftey regs are written, I don't think long term vehicle ownership is an option for very many. I'd be suprised if there were more than a handful left in the entire country.
Sounds like a case of the Tokio Drift? :D

rowhard
06/06/2007, 05:24 PM
Returner, how much of that asking price of MYR96,000 is taxes? I'm just wondering, if it isn't taxes and if you can run a U.S. spec VX in your country, if shipping it from here might not be more cost effective. We could line you up with a super buy somewhere here, you fly in, buy it, ship it and Bob's your uncle. (sorry, you would have to be British to understand that one). It's just, 28 grand, wow

Bieredalsace
06/07/2007, 07:28 PM
I just paid $8 grand for a 1999 Ironman with 87K on it. It runs and sounds great except for a very slight ticking from the engine. Maybe it's a lifter.

returner
06/08/2007, 05:23 AM
rowhard. Hmmm.......not a bad idea, but I don't think I have time to fly to US just for the VX and also the export and import hassle. Anyway, appreciate your suggestion.

Bieredalsace, good for you to get your VX with 8K, hmmm.......too bad I am not in US. In MY (Malaysia) vehicles are extremely expensive as compare to US, thanks to the damn high tax. :bgwb:

AE86
06/23/2007, 08:55 AM
I got a 99' With a 05 trooper engine swapped in for 6,500. I feel really good now!