PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmission mod, ever been done???

Dino
06/03/2007, 10:27 AM
Well, after a search here and coming up with ziltch, I decided to get a little discussion goin.

Has anyone ever seen a manual trans swap in a VX?? It certainly would improve the gas mileage numbers.

I would think a manual from Trooper or a Jeep Cherokee would go in with a few mount point mods. :rolleyes: I'm a welder so that part isn't so bad. I could fabricate and weld in a mount for a clutch pedal and master cylinder.

But, the big question, what tranny would do the job?

I'll bet you Moab peeps have seen one. maybe??? :p

Tobert
06/03/2007, 10:37 AM
I thought about this when I still had a yard and garage (I'm in an apartment now). The easiest way to do it is to find a Trooper 3.5L manual and strip all of the parts for transfer. That should make it pretty easy.

I think Joeblack has done/is doing this for his rally VX.

Ldub
06/03/2007, 11:01 AM
Well, after a search here and coming up with ziltch, I decided to get a little discussion goin.

Has anyone ever seen a manual trans swap in a VX?? It certainly would improve the gas mileage numbers.

I would think a manual from Trooper or a Jeep Cherokee would go in with a few mount point mods. :rolleyes: I'm a welder so that part isn't so bad. I could fabricate and weld in a mount for a clutch pedal and master cylinder.

But, the big question, what tranny would do the job?

I'll bet you Moab peeps have seen one. maybe??? :p

Sure, It's been done...predominantly by sponsored rally teams, not mere mortals... :rolleyes: but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. :naughty:

If I'm not mistaken, there is already a plug in the firewall for the linkage.
"Paging Dr. Black"...Joe has far more experience in such matters than I...maybe he'll weigh in. ;)

As for Moab...I'll take an auto any day in "crawling" conditions. Speaking only for myself, I've usually got enough other stuff to think about while trying not to tip over, without adding "clutch & ratio management" to the mix.

Here are a few examples...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/PictureVX_KODAK_MOMENTS_2264.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/PictureVX_KODAK_MOMENTS_2651.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/PictureVX_KODAK_MOMENTS_2246.jpg
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Garland_VX3.jpg

Dino
06/03/2007, 11:38 AM
MMMM rally VX. :p

Thanks for the pics. ;)

Chopper
06/03/2007, 04:30 PM
Been tossing that one around almost since day one. I've little use for the 4x, and I'd love to lose all that weight. Might be a fun rear driver,(wheels pushed out to the corners as they are) with maybe 75 or 80 more ponies to push it around. First step... lift that body off. I've a large collision business here in Fla., so the space and equipment to do it are not a problem...it's time. Measuring it out, I've discovered the VQ Nissan lump, will go in pretty easily...not the smoothest V6 out there, but reliable, and pretty strong. The gearbox and rear could be any number of combos. As said, the firewall is out of an Amigo (I think) and is stamped to accomodate a third pedal. I can't bring myself to cut up 0177... I bought it new with the complete intention of changing out the driveline and suspension. Within a week I realized how unusual it was, and parked it in a corner of the shop, under a cover. My bud bought one just like mine, and put it in storage. Six years later, 0177 has 27000 miles, the other has like 2000. There is one in S. Fla. that has a blown engine and would fit the bill, but when I mentioned it, a guy at work wants it for his 15 year old (he's obsessed with any off road thing in general, and 0177 in particular) and I guess it should stay as designed if possible. You mentioned you are a wrench... this is my favorite VX topic... let me know what you think. What's it cost to float one from Cali? Know anyone in the military ;) There are more worn out ones on the left coast than here. Wayne

Dino
06/03/2007, 06:45 PM
I'm looking to do it with a transmission and transfer case that is close to what is in there now in size. The clutch pedal thing and the shifter hole in the floor is just some fabricating. No biggie really.

A little background.

I work at a north shore Maui 4 star restaurant, in the "backend". That means I design and build all the stuff underneath what you see in the restaurant. I worked maintenance for year there as well. I fab up the stainless stuf they use in the kitchen. We're growing at a rate of 15% a year, and one of our "things" is that each year when you come back, you see something new in the place. I recently designed and built three copper framed awnings.

One of the other things I spent six months on, was the ol' 36 Ford we have as a promo vehicle. I worked with another guy and we put the body on a 91 Ford Explorer chassis with a 302 V-8 breathing with the EFI from a Boss Mustang!! Fun project! It had an auto trans, but I had to fab up the entire stainless steel firewall and floorpan in the cab.

So, based on that experience, this job would be quite possible. I just need parts and as you say, time. Precious time.....

Chopper
06/03/2007, 07:00 PM
Lift off the body, and it becomes easier all the way 'round. Put a '37 Ford Cabrio body, on a mid 90's Mustang GT platform a while back...still a fun driver. Look in the gallery...we build lots of Frankenvehicles... check out the 350 Suzuki "Sick Toy" totally stupid.

Locomigo
06/04/2007, 06:52 AM
What you are looking for is a MUA5.

That was in the 97+ Manual Amigo/Rodeo/Troopers.

It will bolt right up to the motor, and then you just need to rework the pedals, driveshafts(?), and other associated devices.

Good luck.

Dino
06/04/2007, 09:09 AM
Thank you SIR!! :cool:

Now I can start brainstormin it together in my head and decide if I really want to loose the TOD. It's pretty nice to have on my twisty dirt road. Maybe I'll disable it and see how much it pushes in the turns. :rolleyes:

Thanks Locomigo

Locomigo
06/04/2007, 09:28 AM
Another consideration... When you convert to the MUA5 (integrated t-case BTW, not divorced as the automatic is), that opens up the option for Tera-Low gears into the case.

Also something for the guys that are wheeling more and more and modding their rigs significantly.
Getting a t-case from an auto, would allow for the Tera Lows for you too, and the TOD does loose its advantages once you go slapping in a front locker (non-selectable), hubs, or any number of other mods.

Food for thought.

Chopper
06/04/2007, 02:47 PM
It'll push :eek: Just disconnecting the TOD won't do much, because you'll still have all that extra mass, and the parasitic drag from those spinning bits. Lose all that, and it should rotate pretty well...does a fair job of it in dirt as it sits... would be nice to get a bit on pavement too. Loco is dead nuts on, in his suggestion. The 4x4 Rodeo stick is the plug an' play option, I want more grunt(and i get access to some pretty cool wrecks) so I'm thinkin' in a different direction. In my case the answer is probably buy another car, and leave this one alone. Like my eleventh grade redhead girlfriend... I just can't find anything as pretty... without spending 70,000 (then you don't wanna drive the damn thing; just bought, fixed and sold a 06 Turbo Carrera and only put maybe 200 miles on it) She is still here too...no engine transplant- no third pedal conversion. Wayne