PDA

View Full Version : The "new" 2000 VX. Impressions & Observations

Dino
06/02/2007, 11:20 AM
OK so I've had the beast for a week so I've pretty much got a handle on what's up with its needs and I've driven enough to get a good overall impression.

I love it! Perfect Maui vehicle. :cool:

After a two quart top off the tranny shifts smooth and doesn't have huge leaks. Where did that two quarts go??? Time will tell as everything is all clean and dry under the car. I'll just keep an eye on it each week and see what develops. The TOD performs perfect. Lubed the driveline too.

I installed new brake pads front and rear. While I was at it I pulled and cleaned the rear ABS wheel sensors but forgot to do the fronts! OOPS! I'll get to them when I get into the ABS fault diagnosis. ABS light is always ON.

Up front I noticed a few things. The outer CV boots are split and need replacement. No wet or muddy off roading until then!!!!! ;)
The steering box leaks fluid from the output shaft. I should be able to source out a seal for that... or not. Might need a rebuilt box.

I replaced the PCV valve. The old one still rattled and didn't look too old. Good to see that because it means the service person knew the deal with all that VX PCV stuff. Cool.

Everything else in the engine bay looks clean and well maintained. No oil or coolant leaks. I still need to check the timing belt!!! Very important. If it hasn't been replaced yet I'm just going to do it because there's 72K on it.

Suspension feels great. The stock aluminum shocks are in good working order and have no leaks! This thing hasn't seen any real off roading at all!!!! ;) Ball joints and tie rods all OK as well as other rubber suspension mounting points.

The hood insert drain tubes needed cleaning and I still need to unclog my window squirters. Wiper blades need to be replaced. I have a few lights not working. No biggie there, just need to get bulbs. The mirrors work fine and I added blind spot stick-on mirrors. First mod in fact! I took it from the docks to the Checker Auto store right across the street and found some really cool 2" square mirrors that are perfect for the VX. No more blind spots on the sides!!

All doors, locks and latches OK. Did the window fix so that's all working now. Stereo works fine as does the CD changer. I have a few blown out speakers though. Need to invest in some good replacements. All interior electronics functioning properly. Love that climate control!!

I really enjoy, and am impressed with, the sporty handling! I'm a sports car enthuiast and mechanic. I worked at a Porsche only shop for about 4 years and I got to drive some pretty nice cars that really handled. The VX reminds me of that feel. Very secure, predictable and nimble. It parks anywhere!! I pulled up in a spot at Home Depot last week, and tried to supress my smile as I watched a guy with his Ford F250 longbed diesel do a three point turn just to pull in next to me!!!!! HA!!

I've only had it down a lumpy lava-rocky dirt trail off road, but I can tell it will crawl around with ease and comfort.

The rear view mirror is really my only complaint. I have it as high as it will go and it's not bad for things that are 50 feet behind you. I will remedy this big blind spot with a rearview camera. I found a $99 wireless one that mounts to the license plate bracket. I have two dogs that love to play hide in the blind spot when I'm backing up in the drive. Silly doggies. A camera will prevent any mishaps with them and or kiddies! They also like to play the same game!! :rolleyes:

Last Sunday, two days after I picked up the VX, I had to get my Miata that I left parked in town at the drug store parking lot for 2 nights!! :p Got so excited about the VX I almost forgot!! LOL. Anyway, my girlfriend drove the VX back home. She had a grin on her face all the way and raved about how fun it was to drive. She really liked the height in traffic. Nice to see a few cars ahead.

So, overall I'm very pleased with my purchase and the incredible deal. I still can't believe I got it for only $5K. I met a lady here on Maui that has a Proton that she recently paid off! When I told her what I paid, she said... I want to cry now! I can't believe you got one that cheap!!

It's also great to have a site like this to share our joy and experience, and keep each other motorin along!

Thank You!!

Aloha!

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
06/02/2007, 11:26 AM
Don't forget a tranny service!

Dino
06/02/2007, 11:28 AM
YEAH!!! That 2 quart top off has me being very watchful :rolleyes:

I think I will do the full service next weekend... :p

ya talked me into it!!

rowhard
06/02/2007, 01:08 PM
BANDIT
Happy for ya mate

Reaview camera. Think about mounting it in the half moon, think it will give you a better view of hiding dogs. Like you, I felt the rearview mirror was pretty useless but I loved the map lights. Check my gallery for my fix. haven't done the camera yet.

There is one safety item that Tone offers, (so do others I'm sure) that is WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY. It is the Adjustable Rate / Duration 3rd Brake Light Flasher. I was so impressed with this item that I also installed one on my wife car and it aint' worth it,... but she is. Take's the 3rd brake light function to a new dimension. Anyway, think about put it at the top of the list of mod's. Hate to hear about the VX you stole getting rearended. This mod might help prevent that.

Dino
06/02/2007, 05:11 PM
I've seen those on some cars here. It really is an attention getter.

Ascinder
06/03/2007, 04:02 PM
On your license plate camera, regardless of where you mount it, before you install it, take out the rubber plugs on the back of the camera unit which are hiding screws underneath, unscrew the screws, and pull up the plastic rear cover, and put plenty of silicone all around the mating surfaces. Then reinstall the cover and put some more silicone around where it attaches and make sure it seals up tight. Everyone who has had these has had water build up on the inside at one point or another. Trust me, I live in Nevada where there is next to no moisture, but it gets in anyways. I sealed it an blasted it with a pressure washer for several minutes straight and no moisture build up at all.

rowhard
06/03/2007, 04:08 PM
Ascinder, good advice, will for sure keep that in mind when and if I do the mod. So, how good is the 99 dollar camera anyway? I don't have hiding children or dogs, just would like to see any object (like the other car) in those last 2 feet when parking.

Chopper
06/03/2007, 04:52 PM
When you get a chance, replace those wheel bearings, quite a few were rusty when new. Lube the caliper rails on the brakes too. Congrats and welcom to the obsession.