PDA

View Full Version : Know your parts!

WormGod
05/31/2007, 06:57 PM
I recently purchased this intake....

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOP-FUEL-CARBON-FIBER-INTAKE-02-05-HONDA-CIVIC-SI-EP3_W0QQitemZ160028453051QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38634Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Some minor fab work and it's a great fit for use with the S/C.

However, the one pictured is not the intake you receive. COMPLETELY different design. I thought I was getting the one ON TOP OF THE BOX, but it is actually the one pictured ON THE BOX that he is selling. I informed the seller of the confusion of the picture and he was apologetic but considering the part ordered was for my VX and not a Civic Si or RSX, I sucked it up and kept the intake. Even though it is a "slight" hint of false advertising, further inspection of the part number at other vendors shows the one I received. So, not really 100% his fault.

In all, I was able to fab the one I got to work, but it unfortunately will not work with Tone's hi-flow filter. The filter is quite large and there is no room for it once the intake is installed. For now, I am using the one the intake shipped with until I can come up with Plan B.

Anyways, just a heads up and an eye opener to double and triple check with multiple vendors on part numbers before making a big purchase.

creeg
06/01/2007, 09:47 AM
Uh- Ive sold and bought over 100 items on ebay. what this guy did can be considered fraud. Id take it up with Ebay and tell them what is going on.

Technically, you should have received EVERYTHING in the picture. I dont see anywhere in the description that it says that you get whats in the box only.

One thing you can do to protect yourself is make sure that all correspondence with the seller is done through ebays email system. That way they have a record of the emails back and forth.

Either way, I think you have a case. Id take it up with ebay if the seller will not take it back. Otherwise you are out almost $300.00

WormGod
06/01/2007, 05:43 PM
Well, in this case I am lucky enough that the part received will still work. In reality, I like it better, it's just gonna take a a different route of planning for it to work (it's actually already installed and set up, just waiting for my new PCV and air temp sensor to arrive to complete).

As for the fraudulent issue, ya, it is sketchy, but as I said, I do assume some of the responsibility. The part number is indeed the part I received. His picture portrays the older model. If the part didnt fit and wasnt worthy of fabrication, I would have gone for a full refund. The seller was understanding and probably would have taken a refund deal if I did not decide to give the intake a try.

You are right though. And that is the whole point of my starting this thread. With the rarity of the VX, we are usually forced to look to aftermarket parts for other vehicles, so some research should always be done before dropping any hard earned money.

Ldub
06/02/2007, 07:20 AM
I'm guessing that's the one from the link I posted...I'm sorry it turned out to be a fabrication nightmare for you. :(