PDA

View Full Version : lift question

drummysvx
05/28/2007, 09:47 PM
has any one figured out and fixed the grinding noise you get when you install an ome 912 3inch lift on a vehicross

ZEUS
05/29/2007, 07:43 AM
has any one figured out and fixed the grinding noise you get when you install an ome 912 3inch lift on a vehicross

Welcome to the site. I think you meant to say, "the noise YOU got after lifting YOUR VX" because I don't hear any grinding on my lifted VX. Neither do several other people who lifted their VX's. Quick question though; did you install bigger tires yet? And if so, did you trim the cladding at the front wheel well? If you give a better description of what is going on, people here will be better able to help you.

yal^
05/29/2007, 04:13 PM
Some of us experienced the noise, Zeus.
I sure as hell did. After the lift I drove it for about two years with no problems except for the annoying vibration and grinding noise at coasting or when accelerating. My best guess is that it may be the front u-joint, since the driveshaft gets out of horizontal alignment a bit after the lift. It could be also the front diff, but I have no proof for that. I grenaded my front diff a few months back. I had a locker installed while replacing the front differential. Since the front wheels get disconnected for long distance drive I have not heard any noises from under there. I drove to Moab in semi-2-wheel drive, and the truck drove even better than before the lift, in stock condition. There is also a possibility that the u-joint problem - if it existed - was taken care of by John and Brad who worked on my truck. I was told that the drive shaft was disconnected and then reconnected, so whatever they did may have fixed the noise as well... I really wish I could give a better explanation of this problem, drummysvx, but at least you know you are hearing things :bgwo:

drummysvx
05/29/2007, 07:51 PM
I havent put bigger tires on yet I just did the lift on the weekend and heard the noise right away it grinds when you coast or ease the gas pedal above 40 mph also how much trimming is necessary to fit 285/75/16 with stock rims

Ldub
05/30/2007, 05:17 AM
also how much trimming is necessary to fit 285/75/16 with stock rims

Just the front corners:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/905claddingcut1Ron_pfeifer.jpg
(photo cred., Ron_pfeifer)

ZEUS
05/30/2007, 08:01 AM
I havent put bigger tires on yet I just did the lift on the weekend and heard the noise right away it grinds when you coast or ease the gas pedal above 40 mph

Hmm... Since I have not experienced it, it is hard to lock into what it may be. Allow me to give a few guesses though. If the noise is from the rear, could it be the parking brake cable is stretched and causing the brakes to grab a little? Try removing the bracket on the control arm that holds the cable, if you think that might be a problem. Maybe the joints on the rear driveshaft were in bad shape and the lift increased the angle enough to cause noise and vibration? If the noise is from the front, perhaps the CV boots are expanding from the rotational speed and rubbing on something? Or maybe the CV boots were replaced at one time when the CV's themselves should have been replaced too and the extra angle is causing noise and vibration? You might try jiggling things around like axle shafts and driveshafts to see if there is any slop or play in them. If you find slop somewhere it needs to be looked into further. Hope this helps, and keep us posted on what you find out.

CrnCnn
05/30/2007, 09:02 AM
HMMM... I didnt think of the parking brake cable on mine.. HMMM... Worth investigating.

Grand_Canyon_VXer
05/30/2007, 01:28 PM
hey guys i just put the 912's on and i dont have a grinding but a knock when going over small to moderate bumps... not sure if it is going to work itself out but irritating none the less... any experiences w/ this?