PDA

View Full Version : Pcv

VXR
05/28/2007, 08:58 PM
I recently did an oil change & replaced the PCV. I gave the old one the "rattle test" and it sounded almost as good as the new one but I replaced it anyway.

I just checked the old one and now that it is cooler it does not rattle at all.

So I would recommend you replace the PCV even if it seems to pass the rattle test.

I have been using the FRAM FV384 is there a better one?

nfpgasmask
05/29/2007, 08:34 AM
I have used both the FRAM and the Deutsch PCV valves. I personally do not notice a difference.

Bart

I recently did an oil change & replaced the PCV. I gave the old one the "rattle test" and it sounded almost as good as the new one but I replaced it anyway.

I just checked the old one and now that it is cooler it does not rattle at all.

So I would recommend you replace the PCV even if it seems to pass the rattle test.

I have been using the FRAM FV384 is there a better one?

tom4bren
05/29/2007, 11:07 AM
After Y'all scared the BeeJeebees out of me on the PCV, I went out and checked mine. It didn't rattle but was clean as a whistle. It still works though because it's just a very simple check valve. I could only get air through in one direction.

If it makes you feel better to replace it if it don't rattle then by all means do so (they are cheap). I prefer to just keep mine clean and make sure it's working properly.

CAUTION: after cleaning it, dry it well before you start blowing into it. Brake cleaner tastes really bad and will burn your eyes pretty bad. (I'm being sarcastic - don't stick things into your mouth after taking them off of your car).

Ldub
05/29/2007, 11:08 AM
My favorite is Purolator # PV-1061.

It's the type with a brass cylinder inside, instead of a spring & ball.

I like em' because you can clean em' out with carb cleaner & re-use them a couple of times.

Also easier to pass/fail with the "rattle test", as they rattle mort distinctly than the spring & ball type.

My two centavos...

WILLY
05/29/2007, 12:42 PM
My favorite is Purolator # PV-1061.

It's the type with a brass cylinder inside, instead of a spring & ball.

I like em' because you can clean em' out with carb cleaner & re-use them a couple of times.

Also easier to pass/fail with the "rattle test", as they rattle mort distinctly than the spring & ball type.

My two centavos...
Who sells the purolator ldub?

Ldub
05/29/2007, 02:23 PM
I can't remember which it was...Advance Auto or Auto Zone, but it was one of the two.

etlsport
05/29/2007, 02:24 PM
i get my purolators from advance auto

nfpgasmask
05/29/2007, 02:32 PM
Yeah, AutoZone carries the Deutsch brand. We don't have Advance Auto out here in Reno, at least not that I know of.

Bart

PS: LDUB, who said it was your turn to have a disturbing avatar?

i get my purolators from advance auto

Ldub
05/29/2007, 02:37 PM
PS: LDUB, who said it was your turn to have a disturbing avatar?

Bill Bradsky... :cool:

PHO2GR4
05/29/2007, 02:57 PM
Ldub, what the heck IS your avatar?

Kenny
05/29/2007, 05:09 PM
Bill Bradsky... :cool:

ROTFLMAO!!! LITERALLY!

"Bill Bradsky has a three legged, -retentive marmoset so big, it ate its way through a seven mile row of pancake-filled doghouses while the relative humidity in Panama was 87%. "

Ldub
05/30/2007, 05:10 AM
Ldub, what the heck IS your avatar?

It is a guy (sort of :rolleyes: ) from a commercial advertising something that's "berries & cream".
I can't remembr what the product was...breath mints or something, but he was suitably freakish to be used as an avatar. ;)

VXR, sorry for the thread jack. :(

nfpgasmask
05/30/2007, 08:20 AM
Oh, I see. At first I thought it was you as a teenager.

:) Bart

It is a guy (sort of :rolleyes: ) from a commercial advertising something that's "berries & cream".
I can't remembr what the product was...breath mints or something, but he was suitably freakish to be used as an avatar. ;)

PHO2GR4
05/30/2007, 08:40 AM

I......see.

Well, I'd be the LAST person to engage in a thread-jack, normally. But in my opinion, the only thing weirder than using THAT as an avatar would be searching YouTube for the actual commercial. So I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsPFyoEpGVA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik8xpHdItrE&mode=related&search=

And just for Ldub: the remixed version!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hWsmm4E5RE&mode=related&search=

nfpgasmask
05/30/2007, 09:01 PM
OK, that is freakish. Were these commercials really on US TV? I don't watch TV so I don't know....

Bart

I......see.

Well, I'd be the LAST person to engage in a thread-jack, normally. But in my opinion, the only thing weirder than using THAT as an avatar would be searching YouTube for the actual commercial. So I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsPFyoEpGVA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik8xpHdItrE&mode=related&search=

And just for Ldub: the remixed version!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hWsmm4E5RE&mode=related&search=

Dino
05/30/2007, 09:17 PM
LMAO!!

Ldub I like your style! :p

etlsport
05/30/2007, 09:37 PM
you guys are a riot.... kind of back on topic though.. i have read that changing your pcv frequently is pretty much useless unless you clean the tubing leading up to the pcv (without cleaning it, deposits in the tube clog the new pcv quickly i guess) and i want to clean the tube.. but doont really know how.. carb cleaner im guessing.. question is.. is it okay to get carb cleaner in my oil? spraying it into the pcv valve tubes would surely get some of it into the oil unless i remove the tubes completely from the engine bay before cleaning... any thoughts?

Dino
05/30/2007, 10:31 PM
Better to remove it because the gunk you disloge will end up in the intake.

Ldub
05/31/2007, 06:39 AM
OK, that is freakish. Were these commercials really on US TV? I don't watch TV so I don't know....

Bart

Yes...and without further ado...back to the topic...PCV valves.
Remember those ? :p

Also..."me as a teenager" ? LMAO...I love it when I see recycling in action ! ;)

nfpgasmask
05/31/2007, 08:46 AM
I think the Deutsch 193s are just fine. Every time I go to AutoZone I buy all of them. I figure this way they have to keep a good stock of them in.

Bart

PS - Ldub, In my head I can see you dancing and singing the "berries and cream" song. Its genuinely disturbing. Make it stop.

Yes...and without further ado...back to the topic...PCV valves.
Remember those ? :p

Also..."me as a teenager" ? LMAO...I love it when I see recycling in action ! ;)

tomdietrying
05/31/2007, 05:52 PM
LOL..........That commercial has LDUB all over it!!!! LOL
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
oh yeah back to topic......replace your PCV valves.

Ldub
05/31/2007, 06:12 PM
LOL..........That commercial has LDUB all over it!!!! LOL
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
oh yeah back to topic......replace your PCV valves.

I hate to keep jackin' this thread...but I believe all pertinent questions have been answered. :rolleyes:
Maybe Moncha could split the non pertinent comments into a new thread titled : "Berries-n-Cream" ?
Yes, that commercial had my weird-O-meter pegged to the far right & a big Thank You to Pho for doing the leg work on youtube.
Bart, I'm sorry, but only you can make it stop...I guess I could help, but you wouldn't like what I replaced the current images with. :naughty:
Tom... yeah, you've got me there...If it weren't for weird, I'd have no personality at all.
Dino, welcome to the fam...hope someday in the future to meet you, I'm planning to go back to the Big Island some day when my bank acct is more bountifull for some diving. :cool:

OH yeah...PCV valve: change is good!

PHO2GR4
05/31/2007, 09:56 PM
Well, if you're worried about jacking the thread, just keep it on topic by swapping the letters "PCV" for the words "berries -n- cream".

That way the song would go a little something like this...in a falsetto voice:

"PCV...
PCV...
I'm a Little Lad Who Loves
PCV"

In all seriousness, I'm due for a pre-summer oil change, so I probably will try to find that Purolator model. Weeeee!

Easy Peasy! Nice and easy! Light and breezy!

JAFO
05/31/2007, 10:07 PM
BNC

BTW Anyone else think the Starburst commercials lately have been just plain discusting? After one commercial I thought that they had developed a new flavor - dolphin spit.

etlsport
05/31/2007, 10:12 PM
ive been using the purolator pcv.. all this talk of them made me want to check mine.. so i went and yanked up on it.. and the pcv separated into two peices!.. the good news is that it was squeaky clean after about 7000 miles but i had to get a new one of course

VXR
06/02/2007, 05:00 PM
Tried to change the title of the thread. Did not work. I thought this title would be more appropriate:

Berries -N- Cream & PCV :p

Ldub
06/04/2007, 05:18 AM
Tried to change the title of the thread. Did not work. I thought this title would be more appropriate:

Berries -N- Cream & PCV :p

Thanks for being a "good sport" & for not getting all bent. :)

This thread should be used as an example "topic erosion"! ;)

nfpgasmask
06/04/2007, 08:19 AM
Yeah, sorry, I guess the jack is my fault....

Bart

Ldub
06/04/2007, 09:40 AM
Yeah, sorry, I guess the jack is my fault....

Bart

I don't think the "finger of blame" is pointed at any single person here...we all done bad. But hey, don't cry over spilled water under the dam I always say. :rolleyes:

(re-replace your PCV)

Triathlete
06/04/2007, 09:46 AM
We don't have Advance Auto out here in Reno, at least not that I know of.

Bart

I believe they are Checkers Auto on this side of the country.

Ldub
06/04/2007, 09:50 AM

Mmmmm...not so sure about that Billy. We have both Advance & Checkers in town.
Last I saw, Checker/Schuck/Kragen (& I'm not sure on the spelling :confused: ) were all the same.

My two...

nfpgasmask
06/04/2007, 10:11 AM
Hmmm, I have never seen a Checkers here in Reno either. Weird. We have Kragen, Pep Boys and AutoZone, and I think that's it.

Bart

Triathlete
06/04/2007, 10:27 AM
Damn, first time being wrong in my life! :bwgy: :laughy:
Oh well! I knew it would have to happen some time!