PDA

View Full Version : Hood insert stability

CrnCnn
05/27/2007, 09:12 AM
OK, so I hgavent fully decided as to which direction I would like to with the cladding. Zeus’ and Mark Miller’s rides look great. Now what ever one I choose to copy, or spin to my own version, I NEED to do something about my hood insert. Ever since I tried that bondo back to black crap it looks horrible.

My concern is the infamous crack. If I attempt to remove the hood insert to prep and paint it, will it break more and fall apart?

Ascinder
05/27/2007, 10:29 AM
I would try stop-drilling a hole at the end of the crack to prevent it from going any further, then, while you have it off, clean it real well and slap on some epoxy to help reinforce it, then do whatever coating. I think I have that same crack, and that's my plan. If you want, I have some single use packs of really good epoxy you can have, just let me know.

TexVeX
05/28/2007, 09:13 AM
If you can smooth off that crack maybe that spray on bed liner they are making bras from will work. I saw on another thread someone saying that looked like a good idea to redo the hood insert.

nfpgasmask
05/29/2007, 08:48 AM
Depending on what you want to do, you could also quite easily just paint the hood insert without removing it. You would just need to do a thorough masking job to protect the rest of the truck.

Bart

CrnCnn
05/29/2007, 04:08 PM
Depending on what you want to do, you could also quite easily just paint the hood insert without removing it. You would just need to do a thorough masking job to protect the rest of the truck.

Bart

I think this is the route I will take. I am not sure if i need to sand it down any or just use some prep stuff.

My work schedule will be changing soon so i will have more days off to complete some projects.

nfpgasmask
05/29/2007, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I don't remember your insert having a bad crack, did it? Maybe a little 1000 grit sand paper and a good post sanding cleaning is all you will need.

Bart

I think this is the route I will take. I am not sure if i need to sand it down any or just use some prep stuff.

My work schedule will be changing soon so i will have more days off to complete some projects.

CrnCnn
05/29/2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I don't remember your insert having a bad crack, did it? Maybe a little 1000 grit sand paper and a good post sanding cleaning is all you will need.

Bart
It isn’t horrible by any means, just wanted to put the question out there, in case some one new something before I consider removing it. I do want to get that Bondo junk off there since it looks gross. I will have a Headlight buffing and a paint cladding/hood insert weekend and want to be as prepared as possible.

Now to highjack my own thread. (Is that possible?)

Does anyone know about other ISUZU steering wheels that will interchange on our column? Mine is super dry and severely cracked/cracking/peeling. Eventually I would like to replace it. Any suggestions?

Chopper
05/29/2007, 06:11 PM
Is keeping the airbag an issue for you? If not, you have tons of options.

CrnCnn
05/29/2007, 06:41 PM
Well not for me, but if my wife drives I'd like something there. HMMM, now if I take that out i can tell her that she cant drive....Its not safe. :evil2:

Ascinder
05/30/2007, 10:46 AM

Pillow + Duct tape= problem solved :p

IndianaVX
05/30/2007, 09:43 PM
CrnCnn,
im not sure what product you used on your hood insert, (i seem to remeber someone using something like "thinned down tar" cant remember if it was you) anyway, if it is just the shine up kinda stuff back to black, or ice, armor all, then i would be sure to use paint prep wax and ________ remover. (its late, and cant remember the second word...lol) but most autozone, walmart, napa, etc has it in their paint sections. this would remove any residue from "shining" products. someone might chime in, but im pretty sure it would be fine on the insert. after using it, then sand and whatnot, then clean agaiin with the paint prep stuff. now youre ready for a good bond for your primer......
NOW, if its the thin tar product, then i would test a small area first. the paint prep is pretty serious stuff and would probably cut through it....

im thinking the same thing about fixing my crack (lol) and painting my insert to cover it up. probably use a satin, or flat....probably satin, black paint.

david

CrnCnn
05/30/2007, 10:12 PM
CrnCnn,
im not sure what product you used on your hood insert, (i seem to remeber someone using something like "thinned down tar" cant remember if it was you) anyway, if it is just the shine up kinda stuff back to black, or ice, armor all, then i would be sure to use paint prep wax and ________ remover. (its late, and cant remember the second word...lol) but most autozone, walmart, napa, etc has it in their paint sections. this would remove any residue from "shining" products. someone might chime in, but im pretty sure it would be fine on the insert. after using it, then sand and whatnot, then clean agaiin with the paint prep stuff. now youre ready for a good bond for your primer......
NOW, if its the thin tar product, then i would test a small area first. the paint prep is pretty serious stuff and would probably cut through it....

im thinking the same thing about fixing my crack (lol) and painting my insert to cover it up. probably use a satin, or flat....probably satin, black paint.

david

I think ETLsport described it that way. But whoever it was we used the same stuff. I did post about how crappy it was though. I tried to PM you about the headlight polish last night and your box was full (LOL). How is it holding up cause thats in the plans too.

IndianaVX
05/30/2007, 10:23 PM
hey, you have email......
yeah, my bank changed names, now paypal isnt working, gotta update, and then subscibe here....which i totally dont mind doing, this site RAWKS

so, yeah, its been over two months since ive seen my vx, but last i remember, the lights looked pretty good.