PDA

View Full Version : sticking brakes.....

IndianaVX
05/23/2007, 09:45 PM
i have read elsewhere, and most recently by jolly rogervx, in the gas milage thread about dragging, or sticking brakes.
i have noticed that when i stopped, like at a stop light, where i slowed for a bit, then came to the stop, that when i took off again, i would sometimes feel the slightest of "thuds" coming from the mid section, maybe back, kinda hard to tell, but i was thinking that it felt like the brakes releasing. does this sound like the brake sticking problem?? are looking at the pads for uneven wear the main indicator? is this wear across the flat of the pad, or in thickness of the pad compaired with the other, (inside/outside)?? what are we using to fix this problem??
i will have to look into this when i get mine back. my gas milage was improving befor the problems. maybe my brakes were dragging a bit too.

thanks
david

rowhard
05/24/2007, 03:46 AM
David, I'm no help, but I have the same issue. After stopping, it feels like one is not releasing, but have been checked and no problem found.

etlsport
05/24/2007, 05:35 AM
i have the same problem, but almost positive that it is not caused by the brakes, its a driveline thing, mine went away significantly when i got my transmission flushed and is now back about 5000 miles later... also next time you come to a hard stop, without releasing the brake, shift to neutral, you will feel that same "clunk" then shift back to drive and you will take off the line like normal with no clunk

Tone
05/24/2007, 05:48 AM
Make sure you are cleaning and lubing the pins (with the proper caliper grease) that the calipers ride on to prevent them sticking. If stuck, they will usually hold the inner pad against the rotor until it wears out and eats the rotor but it could stick the other way as well.

WILLY
05/24/2007, 07:43 AM
i have the same problem, but almost positive that it is not caused by the brakes, its a driveline thing, mine went away significantly when i got my transmission flushed and is now back about 5000 miles later... also next time you come to a hard stop, without releasing the brake, shift to neutral, you will feel that same "clunk" then shift back to drive and you will take off the line like normal with no clunk

I too have had the same symtom since i have had the vx and i completely agree with etl on this,it is not the brakes although it can lead you to think it is cause it happens when you let off the brake to take off,i believe it is in the driveline or rear suspension.I kinda thought that maybe the rear coil springs were getting weak and posibly sliding around a bit when braking and causing this thumping feeling/noise but i am not sure,i kinda quit trying to figure it out a while back and have been just driving it.But you know now that im thinking about this i did notice that it does not do it when temps outside are cold like below freezing especially and it does it alot and thumps much heavier when temps are high.Iduno :_confused
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/05-Photo_5.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/05-Photo_5.jpg)

WILLY
05/25/2007, 02:06 PM
I also get the symptoms when slowly going over speed bumps which leads me to believe it is in the rear suspension but not sure yet,i am going to put it in the air soon and do a full inspection of everything.

PHO2GR4
05/25/2007, 03:38 PM
Driveline. Known issue with VXs...and a fairly easy fix at the dealership.

...as long as your dealership has a good VX guy on staff.

cyronman
05/25/2007, 04:09 PM
i have read elsewhere, and most recently by jolly rogervx, in the gas milage thread about dragging, or sticking brakes.
i have noticed that when i stopped, like at a stop light, where i slowed for a bit, then came to the stop, that when i took off again, i would sometimes feel the slightest of "thuds" coming from the mid section, maybe back, kinda hard to tell, but i was thinking that it felt like the brakes releasing. does this sound like the brake sticking problem??
david

I have noticed this lately as well, and just yesterday my buddy asked if it was the rotors or something.
To me it's as if the more I let off the brakes, you can (loudly) hear and feel the brakes releasing.

I guess I'll find out next Wednesday when she goes in for her head-to-toe inspection!

Kenny
05/25/2007, 05:33 PM
I may have had the same feeling when letting off the brake after a stop. A sort of feeling of unsprung energy...

Once I greased the zirk on the drive axle yoke, the feeling went away for good. I just keep on top of that yoke zirk with grease once every 4-5 months. Make sure the grease starts to ooze out of the yoke.

You can see the yoke at the front end of the driveshaft (far left) in this image. The zirk is actually seen pointing at you just above the cross member just infront of the yoke (the part of the shaft that slides in and out.. :naughty: )

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Magnaflow_1.jpg

and while you're there, grease the u-joints too....

Good Luck.

IndianaVX
05/25/2007, 06:48 PM
Kenny,
thats the description i couldnt find......"unsprung energy" lol
i cant wait to get mine back, so i can do all these things anyway, heck, at this point, i wouldnt mind the problems, it would be nice to feel the unsprung energy again.
have to wait and see

WILLY
05/26/2007, 06:23 AM
I may have had the same feeling when letting off the brake after a stop. A sort of feeling of unsprung energy...

Once I greased the zirk on the drive axle yoke, the feeling went away for good. I just keep on top of that yoke zirk with grease once every 4-5 months. Make sure the grease starts to ooze out of the yoke.

You can see the yoke at the front end of the driveshaft (far left) in this image. The zirk is actually seen pointing at you just above the cross member just infront of the yoke (the part of the shaft that slides in and out.. :naughty: )

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Magnaflow_1.jpg

and while you're there, grease the u-joints too....

Good Luck.
Unsprung energy is a perfect description and i also thought that part of the drive line was the problem and i keep the zirks on that and the joints greesed regularly i duno.