PDA

View Full Version : Long drives and engine codes....

Kenny
05/23/2007, 07:12 PM
Thought a few people might benefit from this...

About half an hour out of Moab on my way home my CHECK ENGINE light comes on.
"Oh great, only another 1590 miles to go...".

Pulled up the code in the ScanGauge II: 0352 (ignition coil #2 malfunction) -
"ok, I've seen this before - clear it...".

a minute later, CE again, same 0352, clear, CE, clear, CE, clear - "oh-oh."
now my stomach started sinking... but since the engine ran fine - no misfires or stutters, I kept going (all the while pulling up NAPA stores in my GPS). The CE light came on about 20 times between Moab and Denver with same code.

Since it was late Saturday and I wanted to make it home on Sunday, I stopped at a NAPA in Denver and picked up a new ignition coil ($120) just to have it on hand if something failed. (#$%#^! it was black, not red :crying: - "I ain't using this - it's not colour matched.")

As part of the troubleshooting (what I should have done 300 miles earlier :_brickwal ) I swapped existing ignition coils between cylinder #1 and #2 - hoping to see the CE code show 0351 - (malfunction in coil #1) proving the error to follow the "bad" coil.

1600 miles later, no CE light at all!!

I'm figuring it was just a faulty connection, and unplugging them and plugging them back in doing the swap, fixed the error message. whew!!!

So I was able to return the coil to NAPA here in Canada - even though it was bought in Denver (cool!) and picked up some front bearings and seals in case I need em during my re-pack.

Last year I thought I was not going to make Moab after getting a flashing TRANSMISSION light about 5 hours from home in South Dakota. As I was turning off to get gas it started flashing. But again, I did not notice any change in gear shifts or performance. After trying to find an open transmission shop in a nearby town around 4p.m. on a Saturday with no luck, I had someone check this site for me with the search function for a similar event. Sure enough, there has been a few false errors - so I reset the code by disconnecting the battery for 15 min. and kept on trucking the next day. (it was an 18 hour drive to make to Glenwood Springs that day :eek: )
It's been over a year now and no appearance of that transmission light.(knock, knock) must have been a wire that got knocked around a bit hard....

Just curious if others have had CE codes that had similar simple fixes as opposed to major repairs or replacements...

Ldub
05/23/2007, 08:48 PM
I had 5-7 CEL's after every gas stop, same deal, different codes (1137,1157,1171...I think, going from memory. :rolleyes: ) read, clear, read, clear, clear, clear, clear.
After she got used to the new gas the CEL's would stop & everything would be fine until the next gas stop. Pretty sure it's altitude related, though there could be some filter oil residue on my MAF sensors that would be a contributing factor.

Triathlete
05/23/2007, 08:55 PM
If at altitude my VX will throw a code if I get on the gas to pass or just pick up the speed quickly. I think not enough oxygen tricks the sensors and throws the code. My CE light will usually go out after a few days, if not I just disconnect the battery and reset it.

ZEUS
05/24/2007, 09:53 PM
Mine does this too. Anytime I clear the code it comes back on within a day - usually. I went 3 months with it off until the last Moab trip - it has been on ever since. I already know it will go off again within a month, but I don't know what code it throws.

Bulldoggie
06/26/2007, 08:22 PM
My Check Engine Light came on this evening, and twice I popped the hood looking for problems. I can't find any! Even the air filter looks clean! The only fluids consumed are the winshild wash fluid and fuel. No oil usage here.
No performance problem that I can notice, but I don't no what sensor could be the problem?????? Huh????
I guess I will pull the battery for 15min and see if it resets itself.

IndianaVX
06/26/2007, 08:52 PM
a word of caution, but dont know how reliable it is,
i was told that because of my code 1171, lean on acceleration, the computer was dumping too much fuel into the engine, and that that fuel was combusting in the cat converter, and in a matter of days destroyed my cat. converter..........

bulldoggie, get the code read before you pull that battery, if its not too late.

Bulldoggie
06/26/2007, 08:59 PM
No Isuzu dealer nearby, I think someone said Autozone will read them?
Do they charge a fee for reading codes? Will NAPA read them?

IndianaVX
06/26/2007, 09:33 PM
no charge at auto zone, or napa, or similar.....just write down the code they read, then look it up here using the search

Kenny
06/27/2007, 12:18 AM
no charge at auto zone, or napa, or similar.....just write down the code they read, then look it up here using the search

Look here:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=2013&highlight=engine+code+ignition+coil

Bulldoggie
06/27/2007, 10:06 AM
I had it read this morning:
401 EGR valve low flow
Autozone price; $178.00 for a replacement ???
Thanks for the help

Ldub
06/27/2007, 10:12 AM
I had it read this morning:
401 EGR valve low flow
Autozone price; $178.00 for a replacement ???
Thanks for the help

Take it apart & clean the carbon out of it yourself : much le$$.

And I'm petty sure you'll find a thread on how to if you search. ;)

Bulldoggie
06/27/2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks Ldub, being a cheep SOB, I was going to do that today.
I just hope I don't tear the gasket. I should at least buy a gasket first.

IndianaVX
06/27/2007, 11:55 AM
i personally havent done it YET, (its settin in my floor board) but i found a universal egr gasket with a burn screen in it at auto zone for about 4 bucks. the screen is supposed to burn off excess carbon, to help keep the egr cleaner. but if you dont go that route, then yes, buy a new gasket, or be very careful when taking the egr off and you might not tear the gasket up, so you could use it again. (what a run on sentence....) cleaning is pretty easy, and search and you can clean the "tube" also.
dont let it scare you too much.....

Bulldoggie
06/27/2007, 12:09 PM
It went out by itself after putting my foot into it (to beat traffic)
Maybe I drive too many long drives on cruise control (or like an old lady?)
I'm going to drive in low2 (locking out high gear) to let the RPM's come up a bit and blow any carbon out
HOW LAZY IS THAT! or lucky?

PS I like your new avitar much better than the Pilgrim, Ldub

Cobrajet
06/27/2007, 04:38 PM
That brings back old memories....

"Mom, we're going to take the Cobra out the old blimp base, and blow the carbon out of it!"

:) :) :) :)