PDA

View Full Version : Just Paid $3.64/gal

Bimati
05/22/2007, 06:23 AM
I just paid $3.64/gal and filled the tank to the tune of $66.82 this morning in Loveland, Colorado!!!!!!!

I commute 35 miles each way, every day, and I am an absolute car automobile lover!!!!!!!!!! So the question becomes:

Do I get something funky like a Lotus Elise (pushes my spending limit pretty hard) for my daily driver and keep the VX for off-roading and parenting duties (young daughter, so a two seater won't cut it.)?

I wear a tie to work, so I can't really commute on the motor bikes....

Or, do I sell out and get a Rav4 V6 with all the power reliability and mileage that I'm looking for? When was the last time anyone rubber-necked and gave a thunbs-up to a rav4???? BORING!

Now if you'll excuse me, I must weep bitterly.

Bim

djkymar
05/22/2007, 07:43 AM
3.15 here in PA. Im trying shift before 3000 RPM to save up some gas and no more fast starts. Where the hell gas prices going???

MSHardeman
05/22/2007, 07:53 AM
Gas just hit $4.10 for regular in Aspen, Colorado. OUCH!!!

Bimati, I've been contemplating the same thing. I know that I'll NEVER get rid of the VX, so I've been looking at smaller cars that I've always wanted to use as a daily driver. I was thinking of a VW Corrado (VR6), or maybe a Mazda MX-3 V6 (used to own one and had a blast with it).

Good luck in your search.

Dino
05/22/2007, 09:26 AM
$3.95 Here on Maui... ouch!

tom4bren
05/22/2007, 11:48 AM
I only had to pay $2.97 yesterday in Fredericksburg, VA. Before you get pissed off though, remember that every day I commute 45 miles (up hill) each way. Just to tug on the sympathy chain a little harder - it's on I-95 in some of the worst traffic in the nation so it takes 1-3 hours each way.

If you want a reasonably priced commuter car that ain't too 'old fogey', try to find an older Eclipse. I put a quarter million miles on a '93 before I inherited my wife's '03 (I bought her a ragtop "04) and gave the old one to my brother for his kids to drive. The 03 is nice but I miss the stickshift in the 93.

I drove the VX to work for a couple of weeks while my daughter's car (Yup, another Mitsubishi) was in the shop and she stole mine for school. I just couldn't bear to trash such a nice ride on commuting to work.

Joe Isuzu
05/22/2007, 02:40 PM
at least the VX should prepare you for the rough ride you'll get in the Elise, the noise should be the same as well ;)
seriously though, the elise would be super fun but not terribly practical, I would still get that and keep the VX over getting a RAV4, that way you'll have TWO cool cars instead of being left with a boring one, and yes, I realize the newer RAV4's are surprisingly fast but I doubt they will ever be seen in a concours...
I bet you'll love the gas mileage of the Elise as well!

tom4bren
05/23/2007, 11:12 AM
I never actually calculated my gas mileage in the Eclipse but I can get well over 400 miles from a tank.

I do love the ride of the Eclipse and the 4 banger gets me where I need to go quick enough without killing the mileage with a turbo.

Besides, I can always borrow (I paid for it) my daughter's 3000GT when I want to drive like a nut.

I also have a '93 TLC for towing & hauling but that's really paying through the nose at the gas pump.