PDA

View Full Version : Air Kits

nfpgasmask
05/21/2007, 09:32 PM
After Elephant Hill, some of you guys had questions about my air-up kit. My homie back in Chicago builds and supplies them, and in my opinion, his prices are very good when comparing them to other options.

And for those of you who were there, you also know that I was aired up and ready to go in under 2 minutes. Forthe price, you really can't beat his kits. The one I had out there was the full 10 lb CO2 Kit.

Anyway, here is the info for those of you who might want one.

http://www.4wheelair.com/

Bart

Ascinder
05/22/2007, 10:56 AM
Hey Bart have you guys looked into using a mini scuba tank for this stuff? You may or may not get as many fills, but the air you would be putting in would be more temperature stable than CO2 and it costs only $3.00 to fill the tank. Just curious 'cause back in the days thats what made me switch from CO2 to compressed air for paintball.

JHarris1385
05/22/2007, 11:01 AM
Hum... compressed instead of C02 for paintball. Good idea.

nfpgasmask
05/22/2007, 11:09 AM
I'm actually not sure what these tanks are regularly used for. All I know, is that they work really good, and I think they are only like $10 to fill up, which is sweet.

Bart

Hey Bart have you guys looked into using a mini scuba tank for this stuff? You may or may not get as many fills, but the air you would be putting in would be more temperature stable than CO2 and it costs only $3.00 to fill the tank. Just curious 'cause back in the days thats what made me switch from CO2 to compressed air for paintball.

Kenny
05/22/2007, 11:52 AM
I picked up a CO2 POWER TANK system and it was way more pricey than Bart's contact. I probably payed a lot more for the name... I was in a rush, so I didn't shop around too much.

http://www.powertank.com/products/sfID1/13/productID/26

I loved it, it worked really well. It's a 10lb tank that aired up 20 tires from 15 psi to 40 psi. I would get more tires if I only filled to 30 psi and then topped it off at a gas station.

As for compressed air in a SCUBA tank - I think that is more likely to be a bomb at the pressures you need (about 2 to 3 times higher than CO2)

I filled my bottle at a fire extinguisher recharger in Colorado ($20) who laughed at me a bit when I told him how much it cost me (~$600 with all options) - he said he could assemble one for ~$100 - tho not as pretty. :rolleyes: The fancy regulator is where the money is.

FYI,
I also priced out an Oasis compressor 100% duty cycle as an alternate on board air system - $1200!!! for the 12V compressor. Now that's pricey!

kelvin
05/22/2007, 01:28 PM
We've been filling tires off our scuba tank for decades (really!) it doesn't look as clean as the pre-made setup, but has a couple advantages. all you need is a tank, a 1'st stage regulator, and attachments of your choosing. The 1'st stage should have 4 (+or-) air outlets on it. one will be used for your air pressure indicator. Since this will be sold to you over the counter attached to rubber tubing there is less worry of something snapping it off at the valve. you can then attach air hoses to however many of the spare air ports out of the regulator that you want. The main advantage (other than cheap fillups) is unlike the pre-made system, you can change out the tanks to fit any size scuba tank you want. AND, you can twist one screw and move your stuff from tank to tank. carry a spare, use a smaller tank for lighter trips, etc. (remember, you dont need the regulator 2nd stage (mouth piece) just the first stage that couples to the tank. these can be purchased seperately.) and dont be afraid to go cheap. most of the expensive regulators have added costs associated with corosion resistance, dry-bleed internals to keep water out, and other useless scuba malarki.

edit: and scuba tanks come in every color! match to your vehicle!

edit: edit: the 1's stage regulators have high and low pressure ports. check to make sure you have the right ports for the tools you want to use. you will want at least 2 high and 1 low.

edit: edit: edit: just looked on ebay and you should be able to put together a whole rig for under 250. under 300 if you use all new parts. and under 200 if you are good at finding the super deals.

Ldub
01/20/2008, 02:36 PM
I'm on the badnwagon with Kelvin...Aluminium 50 cf scuba tank.
Fills tires, enough poop to run air tools & compact size.
Sure, I've got a "bomb" pressurized @ 3000psi in the back, but I've got it pointed so it exits to the rear & "does unto others" who shouldn't have rear ended me in the first place.:naughty:
The only other drawback is the fact that there is no scuba shop anywhere near Moab...go figure.
(Sam Kinnison voice on: YOU LIVE IN A DESERT...THERE'S NOTHIN' OUT HERE BUT SAND)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC01740.JPG

don moore
01/20/2008, 05:28 PM
hey |NFP|GasMask..I just picked up one of thoses new mountain dew cans and saw it has a guy with a gas mask on..I though of you ..lol..
sorry I got off subject..
My mom passed away 3 years ago and in my garage I;)ve got 2 big and 1 little O2 bottles..Now I know what to do with them ..I ll make some kind of road trip box with them ...cool

nfpgasmask
01/21/2008, 08:41 AM
Don, I'll check for that bottle, that's funny.

Dub, I worry about the same thing, having the tank stored now in my tailgate is a disaster waiting to happen. If I got rear ended by a Super Duty or something it could very well rupture, and make a real mess of things. I need to leave it out for everyday driving. :eek:

Bart

BTW, I just got my tank filled and it was only $16.