PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with how to LIftthe rear end to install the 919's myself, thank you guys.

CoastieCosta567
05/21/2007, 03:54 PM
Hi all. Well it's been 1 week and Rocky road have snet my the 919's springs and it will arrive this thursday, man they are coming faster then many have said. well anyways.

How can I install the 919's My self?
I was told I can do it, so i'll try but need the best safty help and help possible, thank you.

Also has anybody every installed 919's and if so or not, how much lift will i gain with a VX thats "USED" By used I mean not New, wear on old stock springs.

Also does 31" and 32 " tires mess with the TOD really bad, and if so How can I fix the Problem when it happends?

Does 31" and 32" put stress on Stock suspensions, Cv joints, boots, stuff like that, or will stock do the job just fine?

Thank you guys in advance, :), can't wait to install, oh and by the way, i bought that GPS and man its BAD Ace, but i broke on the 2nd day, so they are sending me a new 1. I wish i would be hear to finish the DASH Mod, but till i return in 2 months I'll post the Pic's of the inside and show u guys the advancement. when i get the lift( with out tires yet) I'll post pic's and of extras done to MY VX. then when i return I'll show u the VX with tires. For those who don't know, I'll be going to BootCamp on Monday of next week. I'll post a Byebye Forum n Saturday afternoon. Man i'm gonna miss talking to u all and coming in here.

JHarris1385
05/21/2007, 04:16 PM
For the lift question.

Unbolt the shocks.
Jack up the rear by placing a block of wood on the gas tank.
Springs fall out
Place the 919's in the same spot. (be sure to line up the bottom of the springs right in the axels seating for them)
Lower the jack
Re-tighten the shocks

Your done in less than a half hour.

CoastieCosta567
05/21/2007, 04:25 PM
Hey J, I new ur where gonna come and save me ;). What kind of block of wood, 2x4, I say this cuz of safty, like u know, i just got Married and I'm going to boot camp this coming monday, and i need to be in shape for myself and my Wife, I can't afford getting hurt. So whats the safty in this, 1 out of 10. thanks bro. Oh and by the way, so how the proposal coming, are u almost there?

Ascinder
05/21/2007, 04:29 PM
Those size tire have been used by many people for a long time now, but yes, they will place your CV joints under higher stress as well as the steering components. Some people have reported having to replace their CVs more often after lifting, while others have been fine with no troubles at all. Also, you will go slower off the line which kind of sucks.

JHarris1385
05/21/2007, 05:23 PM
Man I just put a small block, like the size of VHS tape. so a 1x3 5-6 inches long. Yesterday I didnt even use a block of wood. Saftey wise just make sure your on level ground and I would not worry about anything. I got this lift method from a search where I think SPAZZ did this. Its just quicker and easier. Under the tank you will see 4 or 5 indentions the block of wood was just used to disperse the weight of the VX further than the 4inch disc of the jack. I hope you got a jack large enough.

I ask her this weekend.

etlsport
05/21/2007, 05:27 PM
whats wrong with lifting from the differential like the manual says to do?

Ascinder
05/21/2007, 05:54 PM
If you lift from the differential, the axle moves up when you jack, which compresses the springs which you are trying to take out. You pretty much have to use the gas tank method to do this, and I had to remove the rear shocks when I did mine so the springs and springjacks would fit in there. You may have to have someone push up on the opposite side of the axle that you are installing the spring on so that the axle pivots and lets you get the spring in. Don't forget that the bottom of the spring lines up against the metal nub on the axle.

etlsport
05/21/2007, 05:58 PM
cool, makes sense, i for some reason thought that the diff would stay in the same place and the wheels would fall like normal

Ascinder
05/21/2007, 06:12 PM
In the front, since it is independent suspension, that would be the case, but since the rear is a solid axle, everything is one connected piece.

CoastieCosta567
05/21/2007, 09:16 PM
sweet, thanks you guys :). Also, do u guys know how much lift i will gain with the 919's?

JHarris1385
05/22/2007, 06:50 AM
Hum cant remember how much it is, but someone just recently posted the exact specs of them on another thread somewhere.

kelvin
05/22/2007, 12:46 PM
I know this is off topic, but i wanted to piggyback this question instead of starting a new thread: i've used the forum search tool and still cannot find the tutorial for installing the trooper skid plates (x4-1) that i know i saw here years ago (when i originally purchased my plates - yeah, i'm a slacker)... any body have a link or search hint for that?

on topic:

I'll be picking up my OME rear suspension next month (just ordered my rock sliders!) and am curious as to how large of a wheel/tire i will be able to comfortably run WITHOUT needing to trim fenders or rub components. Will the tires addressed earlier in this thread be safe?

Triathlete
05/22/2007, 01:22 PM
I did the write up. Try searching my name. As for no trim tire size...31x10.5. Even that (depending on the tire) will require a minimum of trimming in the front.

kelvin
05/22/2007, 01:31 PM
I did the write up. Try searching my name. As for no trim tire size...31x10.5. Even that (depending on the tire) will require a minimum of trimming in the front.
will do! i remember it being a nice and clear write-up. thanks for doing that for us.