PDA

View Full Version : Looking at getting a VX

nfrey2
05/21/2007, 03:00 PM
My name is Nic and I currently do not own a VX. I am graduating in December and am looking to get something more reliable, then my current vehicle, once I'm gainfully employed. I currently drive an older Range Rover that is not without its problems.

I have my eye on the VX because it is unique, capable, and reliable.

True or False?

From what I gather lifts range up to 3" from after-market suppliers.
Tires can be up to 33" with minor trimming.
Nobody makes after-market bumpers.

Questions:

What are the weak links in the drive-train?
Can the stock drive-train LSD/axles/CVs push 33's? 35's?
What are some common problems to look for when buying, ie. electrical, mechanical?
What have people towed weight wise? Jetski, dirtbikes, boats?

Moncha
05/21/2007, 03:15 PM
True
True
True

The driver ;)
Yes
Windows, and headlight hazing/crazing for used models
VX is not rated for towing but some have towed everything imaginable

BTW - WELCOME!!!!!!

Others will have better answers, I just wanted to get mine in.

nfrey2
05/21/2007, 03:21 PM
I saw that its not rated for towing but I figured if its sitting on a Trooper chassis then it must be capable of doing so.

What with the windows? Motors, switches, railing failing?

Moncha
05/21/2007, 03:33 PM
Ahhhh.. you want full answers... really there aren't many problems save for a few. Windows have a common binding problem most are fixed by lubrication but some have "fixed" the problem.
A few have had a #1 cylinder problem but, pretty rare, no switch problems I know of and railings?? not sure of that one..

You can use the search function and get more details of what you are looking for.

ZEUS
05/21/2007, 03:34 PM
My name is Nic and I currently do not own a VX. I am graduating in December and am looking to get something more reliable, then my current vehicle, once I'm gainfully employed. I currently drive an older Range Rover that is not without its problems.

I have my eye on the VX because it is unique, capable, and reliable.

True or False?

From what I gather lifts range up to 3" from after-market suppliers. Yes, but it sounds like Indy 4x may be working on a 4.5" lift.
Tires can be up to 33" with minor trimming. Minor? Hmm... I guess that depends on how you look at it.
Nobody makes after-market bumpers. Sliders, yes - bumpers, no.

Questions:

What are the weak links in the drive-train? CV joints/boots.
Can the stock drive-train LSD/axles/CVs push 33's? 35's? 35" tires WILL break parts if you offroad the VX with stock parts IMO. 33's are as far as I would go with stock parts.
What are some common problems to look for when buying, ie. electrical, mechanical? Wear parts, window regulators, squeaks... and apparently a operational hood latch sounds too wimpy for some people... Hi, Ascinder! Check for cracks in the hood insert.
What have people towed weight wise? Jetski, dirtbikes, boats? I have towed a U-Haul trailer full of stuff. I also have towed a utility truck bed converted to a trailer - I was hauling a bed and box springs. Using the a/c and going up hill in the Utah desert started raising the temp - with the a/c off, no problem.

ZEUS
05/21/2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks Scott. :)