PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converter

KristyRemo
05/14/2007, 03:05 PM
The flange at the exhaust header is busted. I've had it spot welded for now to tame the obnoxious noise, but Isuzu wants $900 to replace the entire catalytic converter, saying you can't get the flange alone. Any ideas? One flange costing me that much seems outrageous.

MZ-N10
05/14/2007, 03:15 PM
wow 900....just go with an aftermarket cat.

KristyRemo
05/14/2007, 04:24 PM
Where do I get one & how much would it be? It just seems so trivial to buy a whole new cat b/c of one small part.

MZ-N10
05/14/2007, 06:52 PM
wait wait i just re-read ur post and is ur headers or ur cat flanges leaking?

psychos2
05/14/2007, 07:40 PM
I would try a muffler shop, they may have a flange that can be used or modified to fit. shawn

KristyRemo
05/15/2007, 04:31 AM
The pipe that leads up to the flange is no longer connected and every weld shop has only been able to temporarily fix it. :(

nospower42
05/16/2007, 05:46 AM
don't woory your not the only one, i work for an isuzu dealer and have been waiting for 5 months for my warrenty cat. converter to come in. mean while my truck sits cause the cat. has pluged solid and if i tamper no more. warr.

majork
07/23/2007, 07:37 PM
You get them at this link for around 300 apiece...they are supposed to be direct fit replacements

Give it a shot...

http://www2.ipartsonline.com/parts/parts1/ipartsonline/wizard.jsp?year=1999&make=IS&model=VEH--001&category=H&part=Catalytic+Converter&dp=true

rowhard
07/24/2007, 04:45 PM
You know, without photos, it's kind of hard to tell what your up against. But, if what I am reading is correct, The flange on the converter is broken free, correct?

What I might try, is find a muffler shop, and proabaly not the big ones like Midas. See if they have a flange from a removed converter or what have you that is the same size that you need, and have they weld it in place. They weld this stuff all day long and have the tools and knowledge on how to do it. You might have to go to a couple of them., but it might be worth a shot.

IndianaVX
08/02/2007, 04:35 PM
don't woory your not the only one, i work for an isuzu dealer and have been waiting for 5 months for my warrenty cat. converter to come in. mean while my truck sits cause the cat. has pluged solid and if i tamper
no more. warr.

hey nos,
which side was the cat you were waiting on? one of mine came in last week, (dont know which side, YET....) but the other hasnt come in, and they are not sure when it will come in. it is making me sick thinking i may have to wait ANOTHER 5 months.......

do you have any idea WHY it took 5 months??

i called merlin too, just to ask what he had layin around, and he too said no cats, and no date on availability.

ive been really bumming about this..........summer is almost over:(

Ldub
08/02/2007, 05:02 PM
hey nos,
which side was the cat you were waiting on? one of mine came in last week, (dont know which side, YET....) but the other hasnt come in, and they are not sure when it will come in. it is making me sick thinking i may have to wait ANOTHER 5 months.......

do you have any idea WHY it took 5 months??

i called merlin too, just to ask what he had layin around, and he too said no cats, and no date on availability.

ive been really bumming about this..........summer is almost over:(

Is there no way you could have them install aftermarket cats like Magna Flow or similar & just pay the difference in cost ?
The way Isuzu charges for parts, they might be cheaper. :eek:

Just a thought...

IndianaVX
08/02/2007, 08:14 PM
hey dub.....
well, i could ask, but as it stands now, Isuzu is payin for the cats, dont really understand why, but they are, and im dont want to complain about that. it just amazes me that there isnt a cat on a shelf somewhere, well, not the animal, im sure there is a CAT on a shelf somewhere, lol , just not a catalitic conv. on a shelf..........sigh..........i gotta find humor where i can....
who besides ghost busters does a guy have to call?? isuzu america, the manufactureererer? the guy workin 3rd shift???

IndianaVX
08/10/2007, 01:33 PM
now, i, AND the isuzu dealer/service dept are looking for aftermarket cats......anybody have any luck??? the couple of places ive called have them listed on website, but when called on it, i get .."uhhhhh we do not carry that".....

full story in timing belt jump thread

thanks, and good luck
david

Ldub
08/10/2007, 05:29 PM
now, i, AND the isuzu dealer/service dept are looking for aftermarket cats......anybody have any luck??? the couple of places ive called have them listed on website, but when called on it, i get .."uhhhhh we do not carry that".....

full story in timing belt jump thread

thanks, and good luck
david

Maybe try PM'n KENNY...I'm pretty sure he's runnin' Magna Flows or some other hi-flow cats...he might be in the know. ;)

Cyrk
08/11/2007, 10:21 PM
I am running Magnaflow cats... I am not sure which ones. I can try and find out the part #. They are a a universal size for the VX. They were about $180 per cat.

IndianaVX
08/12/2007, 10:47 AM
cyrk,
that would be awsome if you could find ANYTHING. i have looked for magnaflow cats, multiple places, and all i have found are "cat-back exhaust systems". im pretty sure, thats not what im looking for right now. i just need the converters themselves. im not being choosey here, ANY direct fit cat, and i would be happy.
also getting frustrating is searching sites that sell cats, click on cats, click year make model, then click search, and get to exhaust tips, and mufflers.....errrrrr, no cats anywhere.
well, thanks in advance for looking,
david

by the way, in my case, if the aftermarkets are getting replaced wth factorys,(whenever they come in:rolleyes: ) i wouldnt want universal fits, right??? dont universal fits have to be welded on. thus loosing the "flange"? (i havent had a chance to ever see the converters in the vx....) OR would they cut the flange off of my old converters, weld them on the universals, then insall em.?
should i quit looking for direct fit, and think about univeral?

thanks again everyone..

Ldub
08/12/2007, 02:17 PM
I'd go universal in a heartbeat...check out the PAGES of cats on the Summit Racing site...LOTS to choose from.
Just crawl under with a measuring tape to figure out what you need (diameter/length)...any competent exhaust shop should be able to make them work.

Better yet, have the exhaust shop do the measuring & then have them check out the selection at Summit & make a recommendation.

If you hadn't noticed, August is almost half shot & you have been without your VX for FAR too long. ;)

Good Luck !

Mark Miller
08/16/2007, 09:38 PM
This might apply to you or it may help someone else.

The warranty on any 1995 or newer vehicle's catalytic converter is 8-year or 80,000-miles. (epa federal law)

I found this out when I was searching for a replacement cat for my wrangler, I was lucky it feel into the warranty, Free Replacement.

IndianaVX
08/19/2007, 12:22 PM
mark,

yeah, thats what mine fell under too. 8yr 80000.... its just trying to find a cat that the dealer will install now.........:rolleyes: . i gave the dealer a magnaflow number given to me by another board member, but that cat didnt have a place for the o2 sensor. so the dealer will not install that one.....i guess the o2 sensor HAS to be in the cat???? it cant be put in the pipe before the cat???? i just dont know anymore.:(

Kenny
08/19/2007, 08:21 PM
mark,

yeah, thats what mine fell under too. 8yr 80000.... its just trying to find a cat that the dealer will install now.........:rolleyes: . i gave the dealer a magnaflow number given to me by another board member, but that cat didnt have a place for the o2 sensor. so the dealer will not install that one.....i guess the o2 sensor HAS to be in the cat???? it cant be put in the pipe before the cat???? i just dont know anymore.:(

Sorry man, I call BS on the dealer.

True (if it was me you're referring to) the cat numbers I gave you do not have O2 ports BUT NEITHER DO THE STOCK.The O2 ports are before and after the cats on the pipe - see image below.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CATS_1.jpg

An aftermarket cat would be cut in and the stock O2 sensors would remain.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Magnaflow_Cat_1.jpg

Let me know if you need more info or another opinion - I've gotten to know my muffler guy very well :rolleyes: :p .

Cheers

IndianaVX
08/23/2007, 06:04 PM
kenny ,
if the cats were "cut in", what position would that leave me in when the factory cats come in, and the dealer installs them. im thinking thats the dealers hangup. i thouht there were flanges on each end on our factory cats. looking at the drawing you posted, i dont see what their problem would be either. and the guy i talked to at that number on the ad, had a cat without the stainless that he said would work. i gave the dealer all this same info, he said he would call me back if he found out they would
work.
isuzu does not know when they will start production on the re=engineerred cats.
isuzu will not tell me why they pulled all the cats off the shelves, leaving no parts redealy available for emmissions.
sigh................

tommorows friday, ..............time for another phone call, but armed with more info!!

thanks kenny,

Kenny
08/23/2007, 07:02 PM
nope, the stock is not flanged.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/MORGAN-TEC_and_cat.jpg

Once you have a Magnaflow cat, why go back to stock when it's available? If I understand you correctly...

IndianaVX
08/23/2007, 09:00 PM
that is what isuzu is wanting to do. they just want to get me on the road again with the aftermarket cats. i wont be holding my breath on the factory cats though, but yeah, they are replacing the aftermarkets, with new, re=engineered cats when they come in......go figure.......right now, id be happy with anything, as long as my vx is in my driveway again.........

don moore
08/24/2007, 10:31 AM
cant you just replace them with a straight pipe???
at your local muff. shop

IndianaVX
08/24/2007, 08:38 PM
im not sure, but i think that would mess SOMETHING up. o2 sensors would never read right, i dont think, then you would have a constant cel light......no thanks....

etlsport
08/24/2007, 08:56 PM
without cats you would be putting out a whole lot more pollution... and it probably wouldnt pass any kind of emissions testing for states that have it

IndianaVX
08/24/2007, 09:31 PM
well, i just found this................

Magnaflow Catalytic Converter - Universal Fit
Monica: CATALYTIC CONVERTER, 50000 SERIES, UNIVERSAL FIT -- Catalytic Converter, OBD II Compliant, UNIVERSAL Fit, Pre-Converter , May Require Cutting And/Or Welding
Monica: For $101.22

: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com

will have to call dealer and see if they will put these on..........

Pghachey
11/25/2007, 06:03 AM
I'm looking at what I need to replace my stock cats. Can anyone tell me what size pipe go in and out of the cats? From the sound of things I will need to purchase a couple of universal ones and have them cut & welded into stock exhaust (I already have someone to do this for me, but just need to have them first). I think I have found a couple but not sure of size input and output, 2", 2.25", 2.5", 3"??? Thanks for your guys help. I've probably missed where this info was before, sorry.:confused:

grantCO
11/25/2007, 09:05 AM
I'm looking at what I need to replace my stock cats. Can anyone tell me what size pipe go in and out of the cats? From the sound of things I will need to purchase a couple of universal ones and have them cut & welded into stock exhaust (I already have someone to do this for me, but just need to have them first). I think I have found a couple but not sure of size input and output, 2", 2.25", 2.5", 3"??? Thanks for your guys help. I've probably missed where this info was before, sorry.:confused:

2" is the size that worked best on my 99. I would make sure you go with a cat with a heat shield. Stay away from oval cats. There isnt a lot of room up there.

Pghachey
11/25/2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

mdwyer
11/25/2007, 08:25 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Magnaflow_Cat_1.jpg

While you're looking at this view, consider protecting that little crescent-roll shaped thing on the left. This is your transmission mode switch, and it's a common weak point of the VX. Some people have suggested some extra shielding on the exhaust pipe where it passes by. I personally haven't added any protection, yet, but I've done the switch replacement, and although it wasn't all that difficult, a couple cents worth of prevention probably isn't a bad idea.

I opened up my switch, and although I can't quite see what caused it to fail, blaming it on the heat of the nearby cat can't be too far off.

Pghachey
11/25/2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks alot for the extra advice. You guys are awesome with additional info like this. It's like having our own shop online, and these days that's priceless!:)

Kenny
11/30/2007, 10:53 AM
While you're looking at this view, consider protecting that little crescent-roll shaped thing on the left. This is your transmission mode switch, and it's a common weak point of the VX. Some people have suggested some extra shielding on the exhaust pipe where it passes by. I personally haven't added any protection, yet, but I've done the switch replacement, and although it wasn't all that difficult, a couple cents worth of prevention probably isn't a bad idea.

I opened up my switch, and although I can't quite see what caused it to fail, blaming it on the heat of the nearby cat can't be too far off.

You mean like this?:p
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/rock_rash.jpg

Hotsauce
12/27/2007, 03:30 PM
I've had a starboard side converter/Y pipe on order for ages due to torn flex section on mine.

I just received email from Sharff that its finally in stock, so if anyone else needs one, NOW might be a good time to order.

The old converter is going into the scrap, but if someone needs it for a flange or cat, better holler out.

John C.