PDA

View Full Version : Yet another tire & wheel Q

skater
05/11/2007, 04:57 AM
I'm planning on putting wheels and tires on my VX as soon as I get it, looking at a 16 x 8 rim with a 31" all terrian..... Question is do I need to lift? trimming I don't mind!!!.. If 31 's won't fit what will??????

Y33TREKker
05/11/2007, 07:26 AM
What's up skater, welcome to the fray. I can't really help much with what 16" setups require as far as lifting and trimming, so I would suggest perusing the gallery to find other members who have a similar setup to what you want to achieve. Going that route was really helpful to me as I was investigating my wheel/tire mods, and all of the members I contacted via PM and email were very helpful with supplying all the information they thought relevant. I'm sure someone has the answers you're looking for.

JHarris1385
05/11/2007, 08:31 AM
The offset of the rim will determine that. I am running 16's with 31.56 tires. I have a lift but drove without one for a while. You will rub in the front and have to do some trimming of cladding but dont be scared, alot of us here have done so.

Look at my gallery. I have 16x8 0offset 4.5 backspacing pro-comp rims with a 2.5-3 inch lift.

Otherwise i have 20's on in my gallery with a 31 tire as well. Like I said it depends on the offset.

skater
05/11/2007, 08:46 AM
J, I like the American Racing Outlaw 2's for wheels and a 31 each tire. What kind of lift do you have, that looks awesome, can I get away with out a lift????

JHarris1385
05/11/2007, 09:31 AM
Are you going to get an exact 31'' tire? It will be close but more than likely you will rub the back wall a bit. But nothing a hammer cant take care of. You will for sure need to trim the cladding. Which is not noticible.

The lift is cheap about $150. All you do is replace the rear springs with 912's Old Man Emu, and crank the t-bars for the front lift.

Ascinder
05/11/2007, 11:26 AM
You can actually do the alternate lift that I am running for only about $50-60 depending on how high you are trying to go. It is also adjustable in the rear(unlike the normal lift) so you can trim the front and rear to the exact ride profile you are looking for.

JHarris1385
05/11/2007, 12:30 PM
Cinder, I have been meaning to ask you how your lift is? Since your the only one with this extra custom lift. How is the ride, install, and whatever else input you think is good. By the way awesome idea.

Ascinder
05/11/2007, 01:11 PM
Actually, I couldn't be happier with the lift. I have somewhat of a reputation for not being able to leave things well enough alone. I always have to throw in my 2 cents worth of tinkering into anything I seem to come across, usually with some unintended side effects as the result. This time though, everything went flawlessly. The ride is great, the steering and braking(longer, but firmer) better than before. The only thing I might think of changing as a result of the lift may be using the ultra low profile bump stops instead of the low profile stops, just to give myself that much more clearance. I don't know if it was completely necessary to buy the extra polyurethane spring seat that I installed between the lower spring jack and the spring, but I believe it probably helped in minimizing the wear and quiting the contact of the spring and the jack. It is a little louder with the bigger wheels, obviously slower to accelerate, and the shifting is a bit longer, all of which was to be expected, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Lifting is the way to go. I was lucky though and ended up having to make only one adjustment during the entire process, which was to give the passenger side torsion bar a couple extra turns. Doing the torsion bar indexing portion of the lift was somewhat tricky since there were no walk-throughs that I could find and little but vague instructions on how to go about doing it. I really need to end up getting ahold of a scanguage so I don't have to constantly re-think my speedometer. Well enough thread-jacking(sorry about that by the way). I'll update the original lifting post i did fairly soon here, I want to give it just a little more time before I start bragging about what a great job I did. :p

skater
05/12/2007, 02:08 PM
Well this is my situation, my wife will drive the truck daily, if I lift it I will go with tires and wheels... I saw a few trucks in the photo section that just had 265/75's on the stock wheels which looked real go to me.. So I think I will start which a 30 or 31 each tire on the stock rim and then go from there, I can always change rims later. I also need a trailer hitch for it. I saw a Westin brush bumper on a truck that looked real good....Thanks guys for all your help