PDA

View Full Version : Sound deadening tip: Tempurpedic!

PHO2GR4
05/04/2007, 05:24 PM
In preparation for my Seattle - Moab r/t drive, I decided to cut an old 2" Tempurpedic mattress topper to fit the cargo area of my VX. Now, if I need to take a quick nap, I can sleep in relative comfort in the back of my rig!

It'll also be a comfy place for my two dogs to sleep during the long drives.

As an unexpected bonus, my ride is MUCH quieter now. I'd forgotten how...um...'aggressive' my new Flowmaster muffler was until I installed my new VX Mattress (tm). The 2" memory foam pad REALLY keeps the noise out!

So, if you're too lazy to rip out your carpeting and install some RAAMmat or Dynamat, just cut some memory foam and jam it back there. :p

WyrreJ
05/05/2007, 12:11 PM
I love memory foam. Did a king-size DIY-tempurpedic for about $250 from the info on the memory-foam thread on fatwallet.com and it is the absolute best bed I have ever slept on. Previously I'd been sleeping on a $1K+ mattress and it was killing my back, like almost impossible to climb out of bed. With the cheapopedic set up, my back stopped hurting within weeks. Its been at least 3 years now and never a problem.

But I don't think I could comfortably fit in the cargo section of the VX, mattress or not, you must be like 4 feet tall.

PHO2GR4
05/05/2007, 02:04 PM
That's why I said "relative comfort". :)

I'm 5'11", 160. I can't stretch out, but at least it'll be more comfortable than if I DIDN'T have the pad!

I also have a king-size Tempurpedic bed at home. I'm spoiled now. Best bed I've ever slept in!

(Well...except maybe for that feather bed in Germany, but the two German college girls had more to do with those memories, I think...)

rowhard
05/05/2007, 05:08 PM
So, when are you going to add cheapopedic to your list of mod's Eric??

PHO2GR4
05/05/2007, 11:20 PM
Maybe AFTER the road trip, if it works out as planned! :cool:

I'll probably have to take it out and RAAMmat it, though. Tempurpedic stuff is heavy!!!