PDA

View Full Version : Front Cladding Screws

tysamigo
05/02/2007, 09:44 AM
I removed my front cladding to upgrade the headlights to HID from Tone (EXCELLENT desicision). When putting back on the cladding there are 2 torx screws that I am having a problem with. On the very front of the cladding and at the very top of the cladding there is a screw on the left side (between the left headlight assembly and the grill) and one on the right side (between the right headlight assembly and the grill). These screws do not screw into anything. They do not screw into a bracket or brace or anything that I can see.

When I cleaned up everything I found a small rectangular metal piece with a hole in the center. It appears that this is the "nut" for the back of one of these screws. Apparently the 2 screws are only for show and serve no purpose of attaching the cladding to anything. Is this true?

If yes where can I find these small metal thingies? I need a couple of them.

WormGod
05/02/2007, 10:51 AM
Yep, you got it. There are just 2 small square lock type washers behind it that hold them in. Those torx screws are merely for looks. I lost mine since I have had my cladding off a LOT in the last many years, so I just glued mine on from the back. No need to ever take them off really, so I made them part of it, heh.

As for aquiring new ones, wow.... I really dont know. i dont imagine they sell as just THOSE, but i could be wrong. You can always call Merlin at St Charles and ask. Chances are, you can just buy something similar that will work from a local hardware store.

etlsport
05/02/2007, 11:08 AM
i did the same thing.. just take the top off of a 2 liter soda bottle, cut it to the same size as the metal piece and put a small hole in the center of it to help get the screw started.. i did that to mine about 8 months ago, no trouble with them moving, even when offroading

Bulldoggie
05/02/2007, 11:57 AM
Ace hardware carries spring steel nuts for screws = cents

biju
05/02/2007, 12:01 PM
lowes hardware, etc.

-biju.

JHarris1385
05/02/2007, 01:31 PM
I need to see your HID kit.