PDA

View Full Version : Best Auto Maker?

UtahVXer
04/28/2007, 10:24 AM
Which companies make the best vehicles? Consumer Reports just came out with their annual auto issue, and the highest rated based on test results are:
Honda 100% of vehicles recommended
Subaru 100% of vehicles recommended and
Toyota 85% of vehicles recommended
The worst rated manufacturer was Mercedez-Benz with 0% of tested vehicles recommended!
"Mercedez vehicles all have very poor reliability."
So much for the myth of "German quality engineering"!
Even the beleaguered Chrysler outscored their parent company with 21% of tested vehicles recommended.
Comments, anyone?

Ldub
04/28/2007, 10:42 AM
I guess the lesson there is : don't get in bed with any of the big 3 !

Sounds as if chrysler sucked the blood out of Mercedes, much as gm sucked the blood out of Isuzu's American passenger car/truck effort. :mad:

Joe_Black
04/28/2007, 12:34 PM
We've got five Mercedes diesels ranging from 1978 to 1982 and I'm VERY impressed with the build quality, reliability, ease of service, ruggedness and attention to detail. There are just a couple things over-engineered in typical Teutonic fashion, but overall a fantastic machine. I've also had the opportunity to crawl over a few of their diesels and gassers manufactured since then, and I'd personally stay away from anything after the mid-90's. Except for the Gelandewagen, of course. ;)

rowhard
04/28/2007, 01:09 PM
And when did mopar get in bed with MB and when did their quality start suffering?

Ldub
04/28/2007, 02:18 PM
And when did mopar get in bed with MB and when did their quality start suffering?

Ding-ding-ding-ding- :clap: :jump: :clap:

We have a winner !

Chopper
04/28/2007, 02:27 PM
I don't know how these guys got their results...what the test criteria were, etc. etc. , but i initally find it suprising. I know Toyota has been suffering a bit in it's volume push to the top. The bits have always fallen off VWs, and a Honda is always... a Honda. All the newer MBs we get in work (with one glaring exception, the ML series of suv things) are pretty impressive pieces, mechanically and dynamicaly. The Koreans are really on their game now, a GM runs badly, longer than most vehicles run. Stateside Fords are boring but dependable... wow, MBs day at the bottom of the barrel.

UtahVXer
04/28/2007, 03:16 PM
When makes were scored on a scale indicating percent better or worse than average, with 0 being average, Toyota and Honda took top place with an average score of +48, meaning on average 48% more reliable than average. All of their models were at least average or better.
MB came in dead last with an average score of -123 followed by Land Rover and Hummer with average scores of -97 and -70 each. None of these makes had any models with above average reliability. MB's models ranged from -200 to -35.
In the category of midsized SUV the MB M and R Class were both rated least reliable, and the Toyota Highlander and 4-Runner most reliable.
J.D. Powers reliability ratings show the same thing.

Scott Harness
04/28/2007, 05:17 PM
I think Consumer Reports is way to picky. They take the littlest thing and make a big deal out of it. VW never got good ratings. I've had seven VW's and loved them all,very reliable. Our VX's would be rated very low because of the window thing and peeling wheels. The magazine is a good place to start your research for something your not sure of,but I have had great cars they said were no good!

rowhard
04/28/2007, 05:48 PM
I remember hearing or reading a customer satisfaction report a year or so ago, Toyota was ranked #1 and Mercedes was ranked 8th, and that was in Germany, sad. But damn I like the 500CLS. That is one pretty saloon car

Joe_Black
04/28/2007, 06:16 PM
One thing to consider also is that Consumer Reports will not hesitate to "make up" data to support an agenda they may have. Case in point: The Suzuki Samurai and 1st-gen Isuzu Trooper. They felt that America was headed for disaster on the eve of the SUV craze, so picked to "low volume" (meaning likely not large enough to fight back much) manufacturers to use as scapegoats for the rollover craze. If I remember correctly, it came out that it took something on the order of 46 attempts to get the Samurai to roll and about 38 for the Trooper. Both manufacturers sued CR, especially after video tapes were leaked showing all the takes to get a rollover, and each case was quietly settled in the favor of the manufacturers.

So when looking at CR think of them as the overprotective aunt who will lie about something just to keep you out of trouble. ;)

UtahVXer
04/28/2007, 06:41 PM
They also said the biggest problem for U.S. manufacturers is that "they have to take billions out of new car development or marketing to cover the legacy costs for retiree benefits."
About a year ago, I read that GM spends more on health care costs than it does on steel! On the one hand, these union benefits are great for employees; but if the jobs go overseas because U.S. companies can't compete then nobody benefits, least of all the union workers who lose their jobs.

Chopper
04/29/2007, 09:08 AM
Be grateful for the Japanese, Korean, and German guys... without them we'd have very few auto plants on American soil :mad: :mad: :mad:

WormGod
04/29/2007, 10:50 PM
Subaru 100% of vehicles recommended

Nuff said. My WRX is a nasty piece of equipment.... but the VX still gets to sleep in the garage. ;)