PDA

View Full Version : any mushroom hunters???

IndianaVX
04/25/2007, 07:48 PM
hey all,
just wondering if there were any mushroom hunters here on the board? and also if there are any MICHIGAN hunters that can give me the low down on a trip to michigan for some hunting......where to go, rules, what not.....
so anyway, the season here has been disapointing so far...hope it picks up this weekend. ive only found about 60 so far this year. but its rained, and the suns supposed to be out this weekend, should make em start popping up!!
so anyway, just makin some chit chat.....

david

IndianaVX
04/25/2007, 07:50 PM
ps, i AM talking about MOREL mushrooms.....lol

JHarris1385
04/25/2007, 07:53 PM
Some of my family does in the Salem, Paoli area. I never have before, but have always been intrested because i love the taste of them fried....

I know just a little about it and I am sure others here might know anything. Would you like to fill me and others in how to properly hunt one and where to find them?

IndianaVX
04/25/2007, 08:09 PM
john,
hey, how you doing???
well, instructions on how to find mushrooms?? welll, they grow out of the dirt, in the woods....lol.
i cant really give instructions, its usually in the woods training that is needed.
yeah, my uncle in salem is findin them .
you have to be sure your finding the edible ones, but thats pretty easy since they are very distintive in their apperance.
its good to get out and just walk anyway, even if you dont find any. you see all kinds of cool stuff in the woods if you just open your eyes. caught a couple of turtles "doin it" thismorning..........lol
take it easy
david

thedutchguy
04/26/2007, 05:04 AM
If you find any truffels, you may send them to me! :p

crager34
04/26/2007, 05:25 AM
Under cow pies.... :rolleyes:

JHarris1385
04/26/2007, 09:58 AM
Salem seems like its the hot-spot every year. I know my mom had a few pounds of them after a day of hunting around. I just have never gone myself. I need to. Its been wet around here lately, and I know thats a good sign.

nfpgasmask
04/26/2007, 10:23 AM
Yeah, you guys have lots of box turtles in southern Indiana, eh?

Bart

john,
hey, how you doing???
well, instructions on how to find mushrooms?? welll, they grow out of the dirt, in the woods....lol.
i cant really give instructions, its usually in the woods training that is needed.
yeah, my uncle in salem is findin them .
you have to be sure your finding the edible ones, but thats pretty easy since they are very distintive in their apperance.
its good to get out and just walk anyway, even if you dont find any. you see all kinds of cool stuff in the woods if you just open your eyes. caught a couple of turtles "doin it" thismorning..........lol
take it easy
david

JHarris1385
04/26/2007, 10:55 AM
Yeah we do. I have had many as pets over the years.

nfpgasmask
04/26/2007, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I'm a big fan of turtles. I had several as a kid. I can't wait to buy a house so I can setup a nice snapper tank again.

Bart

Yeah we do. I have had many as pets over the years.

mdwyer
04/26/2007, 05:20 PM
hey all,
just wondering if there were any mushroom hunters here on the board?

I used to do it with my dad on the old family mining claim. We had a field guide of some kind. "Mushrooms of Colorado" or something. I seem to remember that there were hundreds of varieties. The book was very good about it. For instance, it would say, "This is edible, but you shouldn't eat it because it looks a LOT like this other one which will kill you in no time flat."

So, yeah. My recommendation is to find a guide book from the area.