PDA

View Full Version : PV Muffler question

Inaba
05/16/2003, 02:39 PM
I sent a message to Tone about this, but he never got back to me...

Can anyone tell me if the PV muffler is a cat-back or do I have to weld it on? If it's a weld, do they have a cat-back system for the VX instead?

AlaskaVX
05/16/2003, 03:36 PM
They were going to make a catback system, but there was no improvement worth the money over just the muffler. They tried to do the catback but not enough people wanted it, they just bought the muffler like me.

So to answer your question is that they only sell the weld on muffler. (At least thats what I know to the best of my knowledge)

Cobrajet
05/16/2003, 05:08 PM
Tone replied to another member who had the same question in this thread. (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=660)

To get the cat back system you will need to deal directly with John and I believe he requires 10 deposits to build.

I bought the cat-back when they were first offered [original style] for two reasons -
1. I wanted the ability to quickly change back in case the dealer gave me any flack about warranty work (I've been in a couple times and it was never an issue.)
2. I didn't want anybody cutting, welding, or otherwise defiling my baby. I wanted to do the install myself, and I don't have welding gear.

I haven't regretted my decision. I'm surprised that the new PV is not readily available as a cat-back system.

majork
05/25/2003, 09:01 PM
PV Mufflers has both a VX muffler and VX catback system...they are both bolt on......I just installed the catback version...it has two pieces the muffler itself and the tailpipe...both bolt on...it was a very good fitment, I thought....offerring about the same clearances as the OEM parts...

AndyC
05/26/2003, 09:01 AM
I can't be the only one that wasn't overly impressed with the tail pipe tip choice. The original PV cat back system was a great deal and the quality was top notch, for the exception of the tip. I'm hoping to hear the newer version PV on a VX at a meet this summer.
RE- Cat-Back --- I'd say the best deal for anyone would be if John welded the bolt flanges onto this new PV muffler and made it a direct swap out of the original muffler, maintaining the original tail pipe section. This would be well worth the extra cost, since I can't see what advantages the tail pipe section has over the factory one, beside the loss of the name "cat back exhaust".

Hey Cobrajet, I'm all with you on doing my own work on my vechicals too. I really hate to take them to the dealers and garages since they always seem to screw up something or forget to put something back, even the good ones at times.

xdfarrx
05/26/2003, 09:29 AM
I opted not for the PV cat back as I remember the new piping is no bigger or just slightly then stock. I was going to do a complete header and cat back+exhaust. Tone was clear no added performance in headers, and the no size diffference in new cat back piping made me opt for custom stainless to be done instead. I got a good deal on a sebring straight thru. Is loud but dynamat took care of that. Power and torque gains were considerable feeling. I had back pressure doubts bing I went with 3.5" but no issues at all-