PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger/Factory Warranty

Baxman
05/15/2003, 08:04 PM
My VX has developed a leak. I find a few drops of precious Mobil 1 on the garage floor every morning. Looks like one of the oil pan gaskets or a rear main seal. The dealer says the engine is not under factory warranty because of the S/C - "the engine has been modified". The dealer claims that neither the dealership nor Isuzu knows anything about Alpine S/C leaving the factory warranty intact. I spoke to Phillip @ Alpine. The guys I originally dealt with, John F. and Steve, are no longer there. The warranty registration card that was supposed to have been included in the kit (wasn't) was not rec'd by the underwriter for the S/C within 90 days of purchase so no warranty. The warranty is like an insurance policy purchased by Alpine so that any S/C - related failure is covered. According to Alpine, sending in a registration now is like buying insurance after an accident. "But I never got a warranty registration card!" I insist. Apparently they didn't include them in some of the kits, so they were mailed out later, except to me and ...you? Anyone else NOT get a warranty registration card with the kit?

Looks like I'm SOL :mad:

Phillip is still working with me, but the "insurer/underwriter" is apparently standing firm. I'll keep you posted.

johnnyapollo
05/15/2003, 08:06 PM
That sucks. I didn't get a warranty card either, but I also haven't yet done the install. I wonder if it's still valid for me to get one, or if the coverage begins after the installation?

-- John

Dallas4u
05/15/2003, 08:12 PM
Rick,
I too did not receive a registration card. I'm assuming if you can get in touch with John he will help you out as much as possible. I saw him post here lately, so I know he is around.

xdfarrx
05/15/2003, 10:20 PM
you talk to tone about this??

SGT.BATGUANO
05/16/2003, 12:20 AM
Check the outside of the yellow envelope that the paperwork comes in. Behold! the large red sticker that says," Notice: if warranty card is not received within 45 days of original purchase date WARRANTY IS VOID".

The operative words being PURCHASE DATE

Also,

" 1. ELIGIBILITY : ...........A certified automotive technician must install all Alpine".

" 3. EXCLUSIONS : ......90 day and 1500 mile exclusionary period for the insurer......from day one through day 90........".

What's up with that?;wtf;

I wonder if Warranty Gold would cover it as a s/c'ed vehicle if the W.G. coverage is originally purchased for a s/c'ed vehicle, possibly with a higher premium??????????:confused:

Hotsauce
05/16/2003, 03:09 AM
I never got a warranty card either. Nor have I ever received the long promised emessions exemption sticker.

I purchased my supercharger after Featherfoot posted that Isuzu was going to honor the factory warranty, even on owner installed units. This was a major factor in my decision.

I do hope that this is not another Hotshots type situation, with a person posting claims that the parent company hasn't approved of.

In reading Tone's later posts of obtaining aftermarket warranty(for only some supercharger installations) I now believe we have been lied to. If isuzu was going to continue to warranty the engine/drivetrain there would be no reason to persue aftermarket insurance.

John C.

WyrreJ
05/16/2003, 06:37 AM
I bought my SC from Tone's recent sale about 60 days ago and have not yet installed it. My big yellow envelope does not have any sticker on it at all. Nor does the paperwork inside indicate any sort of deadline for filing. If my warranty is void before even installing it, I am going to be pissed.

FeatherFoot
05/16/2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Rick,
I'm assuming if you can get in touch with John he will help you out as much as possible. I saw him post here lately, so I know he is around.

Due to ongoing legalities, I cannot comment on this subject.

I am around, I drop by the forum about twice a day. I have been busy trying to build some inventory which I had let shrink to near non-existance at Alpines request.

FF

Baxman
05/16/2003, 05:23 PM
**FRIDAY EVENING UPDATE**

After a dozen+ telephone conversations todaywith Alpine, Isuzu and the dealer, this is where I stand:

Rosie at Isuzu customer service: "The factory rep has been notified. Your request is denied because the vehicle has been modified." When I asked her if a K&N filter would do the same, she strongly agreed. At first I thought she was joking, but she was as serious as a cerebral infarct.

Of course I'm not going to leave it at that, but that's it for this week. I and Philip from Alpine will be chatting with the factory rep next week. If you have the S/C but have never received a warranty registration card, please speak up!

Rick

AlaskaVX
05/16/2003, 05:38 PM
Tone, could you please make sure that I get all these cards that everyone is talking about. Now I'm glad that I waited this long to buy the SC (making sure all the bugs are worked out)

Thank You

Tone
05/17/2003, 12:17 PM
Unfortunately early adopters of the SC were not covered by any warranty other than the one for the SC itself. We were working with Isuzu and Dell to secure this for early purchasers but were unable to do so. Kits have increased in price substantially over what BAX paid for his to cover this new warranty and protect those who have puchased/installed kits since 12/02 on engines with less than 50K miles. If you have an oil leak from the pan, it is unliikely that the could have caused it and I encourage you to take action and see relief from the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that was established to help you with such issues.

If you have not recieved your card or CARB Cert. yet, please email me and I will get with Phillip this week to make sure it is taken care of and those of you who have purchased / installed AFTER 12/02 are covered IF the engine has less than 50K on when SC is installed.

Dallas4u
05/17/2003, 02:07 PM
Wow, all of a sudden I feel really let down.

Glad I jumped on the "deal" when it was cheap... I got it cheap, meaning no insurance for the future.

I guess all that will help now is an aftermarket warranty from Warranty Gold.

johnnyapollo
05/18/2003, 08:57 AM
Hey Tone,

I'm wondering if I quality for the warrantee or not (no card in my kit), plus I haven't done the install yet. Can you enlighten me?

-- John

Tone
05/19/2003, 06:28 PM
Install date should be the qualifying event but have a conference call set with them later this week and will post the answer.

Baxman
05/20/2003, 09:15 PM
I've been nagging Rosie @ Isuzu cust. svc about having the factory rep call me (since his phone # is apparently top-secret) but he hasn't called, and she only seems to return my calls when I'm not in. When I asked how I would appeal the rep's arbitrary decision that my engine is no longer under warranty due to being "modified", her answer is "there is no appeal process, the factory rep's word is final".

I've been driving Isuzus for 11 years. I love my VX, but this is the last 'Zu for me. Great rigs, ***** for service.

Rick

Tone
05/21/2003, 06:28 AM
There is an appeal process but they make it difficult.

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm

or from Granatelli Motorsports page:
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

hughesdt
05/22/2003, 12:45 PM
I have not recieved a CARB Cert or a warranty card. Thankfully I'm not haveing any problems. Sent email to Tone, I'm sure that he will take care of it. Good luck with Isuzu, as much as I like free repairs it was hardly worth the brain ache to get them to fix something.

Dan

Tone
05/22/2003, 02:14 PM
I’ve only received 3-4 emails that people have not gotten CARB or warranty cards and have forwarded those to the owner of Alpine for resolution. I have four orders that I am putting on hold until the warranty is clarified and everyone who needs a cruise bracket has been satisfied. Will post more info as soon as I have it.

deton8r
05/23/2003, 12:19 AM
That's too bad about your situation. I'm installing my s/c in my Axiom this weekend and had to laugh at that warranty. Let's just say it's very "soft", I could keep it in my bathroom in case I run out of toilet paper. It gives a dealership every excuse to not honor it. It was nice of Alpine to offer one though. I'm going to go under the assumption that it's worthless and hope for the best.

On a positive note, not all dealerships treat their customers like that. I have a Powerdyne s/c with all the bolt-ons including header, posi, on my Chevy S-10. I had a crack in my EGR tube that was caused by the header install and they fixed it under warranty. Most of it has to do with your personal relationship with your dealership. In my case, I had every oil change (full synthetic) and scheduled service at the dealership where I purchased it new. I guess it also helped that a couple of the service techs had the same model of truck and looked to me for advice on performance mods. Making friends with the service techs can really pay off sometimes.

I don't think I'll be as lucky with the dealership where I bought my Axiom though. They are primarily a Buick dealership and most of the employees are fossils. I won't have a feel for my situation until the next oil change when they will see the s/c and PV muffler.

Tone
05/23/2003, 06:31 AM
The warranty that comes with the Alpine kit > 12/02 is there TO cover you when the dealer deny’s the repair and blames it on the blower. Dell steps in and pays the dealer to perform the repair.

Bulldogger
05/27/2003, 02:28 PM
Just had a very informative discussion with Philip at Alpine Supercharging. The warranty they supply is not backed by Isuzu in any shape or form. Dell is Alpine superchargers own personal underwriter. They will warranty the motor only if Isuzu can prove that the damage was directly related to the supercharger. But Isuzu having no dealings with Dell or Alpine supercharging directly, does not consider them to be a factory authorized aftermarket dealer and Isuzu will void your factory warranty immediately as soon as they open the hood. You can attempt to seek help through the Magnuson-Moss Act to have warranty work done, but I can personally tell you you won't get any where with this route without an attorney, more money then it would cost to replace the origional factory motor with a crate motor, plus several years of your own personal time. To basically sum it up, the warranty is a joke. Your remaining 10year/120,000mile on applicabile 2001 model years or 5/60 on 99' and 00' models is in the trash. For some of you, like myself, who seem to have gotten the idea that the factory warranty was going to remain in effect you now have a decision to make because after the install your are on your own.
Dave

Tone
05/27/2003, 03:20 PM
Philip and John are working on getting letters from both Isuzu and Dell to clarify things and should have it by the end of the week. Isuzu had intially approached Alpine about these kits before they encountered financial problems. Dell will stand behind the kits for up to 3yrs/36K but after that, if you wish to maintain complete coverage of the 10/120 warranty, you would need to purchase additional coverage from them. Dell is also waiving the install and time to mail clauses for those who purchased/installed from 12/02 to date.

Baxman
05/29/2003, 08:40 AM
***WARRANTY UPDATE***

By Friday before Labor Day, I still hadn't heard back from Rosie @ Isuzu "Customer Service" or Craig, the factory rep, after numerous requests (including a message that I'm not going to go away based on their arbitrary decision, and brush-off).

I called the dealer one more time. Scott, the service manager said "They haven't contacted you? I was directed by the factory rep to order parts and fix it."

Apparently Isuzu has made the right decision, but doesnt have the balls to say "you're right, we were wrong, we apologize".

I'll let you know when and if the job is actually done under warranty.

With regard to the blower allowing the factory warranty to remain in effect for units purchased AFTER 12/02:

I believe that S/C owners have been mislead. Were we not assured by John aka Featherfoot that the factory warranty would be OK, that Alpine had worked things out with Isuzu? I clearly recall that being part of my decision to go w/the S/C. I did a search on VMag, but couldn't find those references. Is my memory T/U, or have threads been deleted? Would ANYONE buy a S/C in the months preceeding 12/02 knowing that the factory warranty would be good ONLY on S/C purchases after 12/02?

chumone
05/29/2003, 10:17 AM
Just so we're clear, VXes with SC's purchased and installed after 12/02 are still under factory warranty?

What about aftermarket extended warranties? I contacted 1sourcewarranty and they informed me that installing the SC would invalidate the factory warranty *and* their extended warranty. Anybody know of a company that will cover the VX after the SC installation? Dell? what is Dell?

WormGod
05/29/2003, 10:17 AM
Not a S/C owner, but plan on it.... one day. This is all good to know. A very informative thread detailing what I "guess" I may have to look forward to. With only a year and 12k miles on my VX, maybe it would be smart to simply buy the S/C and let it sit in the box until the factory warranty expires, then install , and get an aftermarket warranty, heh.

Sorry to hear you folks are going through this, but thankful for all your effort into solving it, since it helps those of us who are still debating the purchase. Good luck. :)

Bulldogger
05/29/2003, 12:14 PM
Chumone,

I also have a 2001 Vx. The supercharger was purchased after 12/02 and this is your warranty. Paul at Dell stated their warranty will cover you for 2 years or 24000 miles. BUT Dell will pay only if Isuzu can prove that the damage is supercharger related, otherwise Isuzu should pay. Dell is an underwriter for Alpine. Forget about the 10y/120000m warranty. That's gone. Basically it's this: your VX throws a rod or spins a bearing. Dell says prove that it was the supercharger that caused this. Isuzu says this is a non authorized factory modification, thank you, good by. You and only you are left to fight the battle. At this point, nobody repairing the VX. Hope you enjoy court battles. Got a few years to WASTE??

Baxman, I have all those posts with the supercharger saved in word documents, and yes it was implied that the factory warranty was supposed to remain in effect.

Baxman
05/29/2003, 07:37 PM
Thanks, Bulldogger, I found it with the help of a friend. Here it is:

FeatherFoot
Club Member
posted 07-30-2002 02:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just talked with Isuzu. We will be putting together a press release which Isuzu is going to send to their dealers with the notification that the warranty WILL NOT be affected by the SC as long as the original Pulley sizes are not changed.
New car warranty will apply to the Supercharger. Parts and labor.

Aftermarket installation - 1 year, unlimited mileage. Parts and labor. Will not void factory warranty.

Final Ts & Cs not established.

This will apply to all 1996 and up 3.2L and 3.5L installations.

Order Now!! Be the first on your block!! etc. etc.

FF

IP: Logged

If you or anyone else can add to this, please do! John was apparently let go by Alpine, but at the time, he was an authorized representative of the company. Unfortunately, Bulldogger's pessimistic prognostication above may be the way any problems play out, Dell warranty or not.

Rick

chumone
06/06/2003, 10:43 AM
Hey Tone,

did you ever hear back from Isuzu about the factory warranty and whether the S/C will void it?

SGT.BATGUANO
06/10/2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Tone
Philip and John are working on getting letters from both Isuzu and Dell to clarify things and should have it by the end of the week. Isuzu had intially approached Alpine about these kits before they encountered financial problems. Dell will stand behind the kits for up to 3yrs/36K but after that, if you wish to maintain complete coverage of the 10/120 warranty, you would need to purchase additional coverage from them. Dell is also waiving the install and time to mail clauses for those who purchased/installed from 12/02 to date.

BUMP????????

Tone
06/10/2003, 01:48 PM
Will post the Dell card later today and an update from Alpine. To clarify, the Isuzu powertrain warranty IS affected and the Dell warranty is in place to cover powertrain failures caused by the SC. This will undoubtably be a difficult issue as we know how dealers blame EVERYTHING on any mod made to our vehicles. It was encouraging when Isuzu first entertained factory coverage for this mod but with their financial difficulties they were unable to follow through. Dell’s limited coverage is the next best thing and NO other mod like this has ever had any kind of warranty protection at all. All power mods carry the danger of causing problems, some of which are expensive and no warranty can cover everything we do. If you are the first owner of an 00/01 and do not want to hassle with warranty issues, the SC may not be the mod for you. Dell does offer the purchase of a warranty that duplicates the factory warranty when you have installed a kit but I do not have the cost on that.

Tone
06/10/2003, 04:49 PM
Front and back of the warranty card has been posted to my gallery and I have a PDF of it as well if anyone would like - please email me. I will get it posted to my site as well.

John and Philip from Alpine will be posting a statement later this week about the questions we all have on the Dell warranty and how it is to be administered to clear up the confusion.

Green Dragon
06/10/2003, 04:50 PM
To all of you out there with superchargers installed. Twice in 14K,I have lost the front bearing & oil seal on my PROTOTYPE Supercharger installed by the Alpine Factory team. I believe that most if not all of you have the redesigned front nose cone assy with the sealed bearing and should not have any problems but I wanted to share my experiences with you.

1. Alpine was great- shipped parts immediately without charge.
2. To remove the Supercharger pulley ( After shaft removed) you will need a Shop Hydraulic Press to get it off the shaft .
3: Once Nose Cone allen head bolts are removed the splined shaft should pull straight out. Mine did not & I spent quite a bit of time GENTLY prying it out.
3. If the new pulley shaft key is a shade too large- grind the top down just a bit.
4. Carry spare S/C oil. GM Dealer did not stock. Since S& H was $6.95 I purchased 3 containers just to reduce costs.

http://www.zzperformance.com/zzp/products/prod_supercharger_oil.htm#

ScottinMA
06/10/2003, 05:13 PM
Has anyone learned of info regarding those who purchased the SC before 12/2 and whether Alpine will cover repairs?

Scott

AlaskaVX
06/10/2003, 05:28 PM
How are you supposed to document the time installed as for millage and date? Since the warranty lasts only so long, how do they know when your warranty time is up? Should the (profesional) installer have this written down or?

Baxman
06/10/2003, 09:35 PM
Would have been nice to know have known that (POST #30) when the blower was "advertised". What ever happened to:

"Just talked with Isuzu. We will be putting together a press release which Isuzu is going to send to their dealers with the notification that the warranty WILL NOT be affected by the SC as long as the original Pulley sizes are not changed.
New car warranty will apply to the Supercharger. Parts and labor." - John "Featherfoot" 7/30/02

I know that Isuzu's finances and future are in the toilet, but why weren't we notified of the change when it happened? I'd like to see documentation that Isuzu agreed to anything with Alpine.

My VX's rear main seal is currently being replaced under warranty after two dozen phone calls, 4 weeks and puffed-chest posturing. What will happen when the next problem is a little closer to the supercharger?

Rick

Green Dragon
06/11/2003, 05:42 AM
Good for you BAX for standing your ground. No one enjoys confrontation but sometimes it's necessary to get your point across. What was your mileage when the rear seal went?

Baxman
06/12/2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks, Bob. 45K miles.

Cyrk
10/03/2003, 01:27 PM
Baxman... you still there? What ever happened?

My S/C should be here next week! I am excited I think ;)

-Dave

Dallas4u
10/03/2003, 01:32 PM
Oh, you should be my friend... you should be!

AlaskaVX
10/03/2003, 02:20 PM
Oh yes, I remember that feeling... Supercharger... supercharger... supercharger.. can't stop thinking about it... supercharger ;)