PDA

View Full Version : ahh what'd i do

etlsport
04/17/2007, 06:01 AM
had my VX out on a trail sunday evening for some offroad fun ("flat" trail with lots of ruts and water) it was a bumpy ride but nothin i havent done before/seen other vxs do more of, but on the way back home when id let off the gas there was a sporadic grinding sound from the drivers front tire, never heard it during acceleration (could be due to engine noise) at first i thought maybe something stuck around my wheel, but pulled over and checked, didnt see anything, i didnt hear it while on the brakes either, pretty much just after i would let off the gas.. looked at the wheel well in the light of day.. still didnt see anything that looked wrong.. any suggestions?

Triathlete
04/17/2007, 07:14 AM
If you have a Trooper skid plate in the front check to see that it was not bent. One time mine got bent (go figure) and when I would accelerate the driveline flex would cause the front driveshaft flange to rub on the skid plate making a grinding noise.

Ldub
04/17/2007, 07:19 AM
Another thing to check for, is a small rock wedged between the rotor & the metal splash guard on the back side...sounds crazy, but I've seen it happen & it sounds really bad.

Triathlete
04/17/2007, 08:06 AM
If I recall that happened to someone at Moab last year! :naughty:

biju
04/17/2007, 08:18 AM
If I recall that happened to someone at Moab last year! :naughty:
bwahahahaa... good times. (in retrospect).

-biju.

VehiGAZ
04/17/2007, 08:21 AM
Happened to my wife's A3, too! We turned into our street and out of nowhere a nasty grinding noise started up. A 1/4" pebble happened to pop up and into the gap between the shroud and the disk. I was so happy that I was in the car when it happened because I never would have figured out what it was if she had just come home and said those horrible 7 words, "My car is making a funny noise."

Anyway Etlsport, I'd be surprised if that's what's happened to you, because her A3 made that sound constantly - not intermittently. It probably is some dirt or debris that got caught somewhere under there. Start with a bottom-blaster car wash and/or a power washer in the suspension, brakes, etc. Clean her out good and see if that helps.

Good luck!

MSHardeman
04/17/2007, 11:35 AM
The rock between the dust shield and brake rotor happened to me last year in Moab, and VehiGAZ is right; it sounds like cat being goosed with a hot poker. It's a HORRIBLE sound and it happens constantly, so I don't think that's your problem. Have you checked the bearings lately?

etlsport
04/17/2007, 11:41 AM
THANKS! i came home from my classes and looked back in there.. didnt see anything, but i pulled on the splash guard and nothin happened.. pulled on the passenger side one and it felt a lot different so i went back to the drivers side and wiggled it around a little harder.. i heard a pop and a ting.. and it felt normal again.. took her out for a drive... no more grinding! thanks everyone, i wouldnt have found that for awhile

VehiGAZ
04/17/2007, 01:55 PM
Whooo-HOOOO!!! Another ask-the-forum success story!!

nfpgasmask
04/17/2007, 02:37 PM
So this was in fact caused by a rock or something jammed around your discs?

Bart

THANKS! i came home from my classes and looked back in there.. didnt see anything, but i pulled on the splash guard and nothin happened.. pulled on the passenger side one and it felt a lot different so i went back to the drivers side and wiggled it around a little harder.. i heard a pop and a ting.. and it felt normal again.. took her out for a drive... no more grinding! thanks everyone, i wouldnt have found that for awhile

Locomigo
04/17/2007, 04:03 PM
You can also, upon noticing it, back up several dozen yards and it should self correct (read: rock falls out).Worked for me just about every time. Its happened (used to) a LOT. I finally removed the offending useless guard!

etlsport
04/17/2007, 04:43 PM
yeah, there was somethin stuck there, not sure what it was but its gone now and shes doin good.. did some donuts in the mud to celebrate LOL my car show is tomorrow... got a surprise in store... stay tuned for tomorrow nights photos!

VehiGAZ
04/18/2007, 06:54 AM
Bart, you've got to ditch that avatar - I can't even look at it!! Too creepy! Is that form the movie where the kids are space zombies or something?

nfpgasmask
04/18/2007, 08:19 AM
LOL, if you knew what it was from, you wouldn't think it is creepy, but on its own, I suppose it could look a little scary...everytime I look at it, it makes me laugh. I had to use it. If you know the origin, you will know how silly and funny and just plain rediculous it is...

Anyone out there know where it came from? Let's see if anyone can guess.

HINT: Its not from a movie.

:jump:

Bart

Bart, you've got to ditch that avatar - I can't even look at it!! Too creepy! Is that form the movie where the kids are space zombies or something?

Triathlete
04/18/2007, 09:30 AM
Your favorite 1980's David Bowie album?

nfpgasmask
04/18/2007, 09:35 AM
You're on the right track, its definitely 80s!

;) Bart

Your favorite 1980's David Bowie album?

Ldub
04/18/2007, 09:45 AM
Your first grade school pic ? :p

nfpgasmask
04/18/2007, 09:54 AM
Hardy har, actually, I was much uglier than that ;)

OK, OK, its pretty tough to guess where this came from. Only a hard-core child of the 80s might recognize it. So, without further ado:

LINKY (http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/42/)

I remember this commercial from when I was a kid. I just about fell out of my chair when I saw it again for the first time in like 23 years...good stuff....GOOD STUFF!!

:p Bart

Your first grade school pic ? :p

Triathlete
04/18/2007, 10:14 AM
Thats funny...David Bowie had better teeth! That kid looked like a satanic bunny!

Ascinder
04/18/2007, 10:51 AM
Oh my god does that bring back the memories!!! I forgot how cheesy those commercials used to be. That's absolutely hilarious. Now for a quick poll: If the Vehicross could transform, what would it be?

VehiGAZ
04/18/2007, 12:36 PM
Wait 'til 6th period Ascinder - I'll draw you a picture in my notebook during study hall...

Thanks for the Bart! As a hard-core child of the 80s, I DO remember that commercial!

nfpgasmask
04/18/2007, 01:32 PM
OK, so how old are you guys? I'm 31. G.I.Joe and Transformers were THE BOMB! They don't make toys like they used to!

That website is awesome, there are quite a few classic commercials up there.

Hmmm, if the VX could transform into a robot, what would it looks like....damn, I need to work that.

Bart

PS - Ascinder, wtf is with the snow today??? :)

Triathlete
04/18/2007, 01:46 PM
Your a youngster. In the 80's I graduated H.S., boot camp, finished my time in the Marine Corp and was a year into my 20 year retirement with my current job! Oh yeah, 25 months till retirement!

nfpgasmask
04/18/2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah, and the sad part is, that you could probably run circles around me, I am SOOOOOOO pathetically out of shape.

:( Bart

PS - Etl, sorry this thread got so messed up on the account of my new avatar!

Your a youngster. In the 80's I graduated H.S., boot camp, finished my time in the Marine Corp and was a year into my 20 year retirement with my current job! Oh yeah, 25 months till retirement!

VehiGAZ
04/19/2007, 05:56 AM
I'm 37, rapidly approaching 36. :-)

Ldub
04/19/2007, 06:04 AM
Hmmm, if the VX could transform into a robot, what would it looks like....damn, I need to work that.

Bart

There have been VX transformers available in the past, I'm pretty sure Anita had a couple & I remember seeing pics.

nfpgasmask
04/19/2007, 09:52 AM
Yeah, you're right. There was like an ambulance, fire truck and a police car VX that transformed.

Bart

There have been VX transformers available in the past, I'm pretty sure Anita had a couple & I remember seeing pics.

etlsport
04/19/2007, 10:51 AM
Yeah, you're right. There was like an ambulance, fire truck and a police car VX that transformed.

Bart
nice!! i need to get me one of those.. or all of them..

and no worries about the thread hijack, my problem has been solved so im content