PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy VX

PirateSaint
04/10/2007, 09:05 AM
Hi my name is Amanda and I am currently looking into buying a VX. I loved the VX from the first time I saw it and saving up money to buy one. But with little general knowledge of the VX I was wondering if you guys could help me out. If I could get some info of what to look for or what to beware of when looking at one, if there are problems that a lot of VX's have (like the window stuff) and if you guys would recommend it for a daily driver vehicle. Thanks for the help!

Triathlete
04/10/2007, 10:01 AM
I would say 98%, including myself, of all on this board use there VX as a daily driver. Your question comes up about once a month here. If you do a search you should find a ton of info on all the VX idiosyncracies. Good luck on your VX search (there are quite a few for sale on the forums "for sale" section) and welcome to VX.info!

MSHardeman
04/10/2007, 12:01 PM
Amanda,

I use mine as a daily driver and love it. The short wheel base, and stiff suspension make for a bumpy ride, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It's like driving a sports car that can go off road any time you want to.

As for problems to look out for; it seems like you're on your way. The window issue seems to happen to everyone at some point in time, but if it's just a slow window it's usually easily fixable. A few of us on here seem to be going through oil more than normal. Sometimes a pcv, egr, and throttle body clean will help with that, but if you just check you're oil at every fill up you should be fine. The stock CD player will sometimes jam and not eject your CD's, and if the VX still has it's original shocks I would check them for leaks.

Other than that the VX is a very reliable car. I would be on the look out for things you would check in other used cars too. Excessive wear and tear on the car, weird dings on the underside (indicating some offroad use), bubbling paint (indicating rust spots), etc.

Have fun with your search, and ask as many questions as you need to (both of us and the seller) to make yourself comfortable.

Welcome to the obsession!

Mark

rowhard
04/10/2007, 03:13 PM
Pirate, the VX makes a great daily driver, providing you have a short comute or alot of money to pay for gas. thats the 1st drawback. The 2nd/3rd/4th drawbacks are: Window tilt/slowness, crappy chromeplating on 18 inch wheels, 4th drawback, can't think of a 4th one right.

If your going to search on line for one, also check autoextra.com along with autotrader.com. Autoextra was where I found my dragon in Cheaspeake VA and had it shipped to Washington State.

I see they are listing a 2001 in Glen Allen VA right now