PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine P0440

Inaba
05/15/2003, 08:27 AM
Will my problems never cease?

Anyway... my check engine light came on again after cleaning the mass air sensor.

I got an OBD II computer (neighbor had one, go figure) and checked the code. It was a P0440... which is an EVAP system problem.

My question is ... how/what could have happened and how do I fix it?

I cleared the code, and filled up with gas in case I had a bad tank. So far, no check engine light, but I'm expecting it to come back on soon...

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Yefim
05/15/2003, 01:07 PM
I am having the same problem. It started a few weeks ago, I called a dealer and they told me that I most likely didn't tighten the gas cap hard enough. I always do, but I said ok. I reset the code and filled up again. Everything was fine for a few days. Then it came back again. I did the same thing, and again it was fine for a few days but then came on again. For now, I am just ignoring it since everything seems to work fine, but I will give dealer a call sometimes soon.

Please let me know if you find out what's up! :)

Inaba
05/15/2003, 02:03 PM
Yea, the dealer tried to tell me the same thing... which I knew was BS.

So I'm still waiting for it to come on again... not sure what I'm gonna do at that point.

Yefim
05/15/2003, 02:10 PM
Here is what we can do: take some duck tape, tape over the check engine light and BAM - no more annoying light :-)

Seriously though... I am getting a little nervous since it could be something serious and I don't know about it.

johnnyapollo
05/15/2003, 02:17 PM
Shortly after my 30k maintenance, I started getting what I believe was the same code (I don't remember and didn't write it down). Took it in and they upgraded a software fix (sounds like a firmware upgrade), which cleared the check engine light. I was told it was a software glitch and not an actual problem. You may want to check into this.

-- John

itsaysjack
05/15/2003, 04:41 PM
i had the same problem w/ the check engine light. i took it in and the dealer service dept told me the same thing, that my gas cap was loose and they wanted $85.00 to turn it off! i always tighten my gas cap but thougth hey maybe i didnt last time....they said make sure your hear 3 clicks when you put the cap on.....i too am waiting for the light to come on again.....

stan

BOARZHEAD
05/16/2003, 09:46 AM
Mine too.. It is always on. Same code. But I think it is from when I got my body lift put on they have to extend the filler tube with a rubber hose extension. Maybe not the best seal?