PDA

View Full Version : Ok, gas - what grade ?

Andrey
05/14/2003, 08:50 PM
I know, I know - the manual says Regular but I've noticed that on Plus (mid-grade) I can get more miles. I can not feel any difference on acceleration side between different grades but milage is better on mid-grade for me. BTW I use only Mobile.
Any thoughts ?

paultvx
05/14/2003, 11:42 PM
What thoughts? If it works it works. *shrug*

I'd calculate how much the difference in cost is between the two grades and compare that with the mileage you gained. Whether the higher grade fuel is worth it or not should become clear. I think you'd probably find it to be pretty even.

xdfarrx
05/15/2003, 12:04 PM
The computer can offset the ignition timing for lower octane as well as higher- The atmospherics have a big effect on things and my understanding is above 4000 ft- it is a waste to use high octane fuel...Being I live at 6200 in the winter I use 87 and redline fuel system cleaner to keep things good, and change my fuel filter on a winter summer rotation- Below 4000 I rock as high as I can because of the beneficial atmospheric conditions. On other threads there have been discussion of toulene (octane booster), among other things. On the higher compressin set up likes the blowers I think it makes sense- Also given the stuff is 10-12 bucks a gallon it makes sense to get a 55 gallon drum of VP race juice. I myself am cool with pump gas. I have found 76 gas station fuel to work well in my car, so I am fairly loyal to using that- good luck.