PDA

View Full Version : wheel locks

etlsport
04/05/2007, 02:06 PM
hey everyone, getting onto road trip season.. just wanted to throw this out there... make sure you know for sure that youve got your wheel lock key in your VX! i just completed a road trip last week, today i went out to rotate my tires.. and couldnt find my wheel lock key anywhere, got me very nervous... turns out when i swapped my in-car tool box my wheel lock key got misplaced in the process.. found it and its now safely stored in my VX... that coulda been REALLY frustrating!.. im also going to be ordering a new key to keep in my box o VX parts just in case

also.. realized that the stock lug nut wrench... isnt very long at all.. even standing on the end of it i couldnt get my lug nuts to turn... its for stuff like that i keep an 18" pipe in my VX.. i added that to the end of the lug wrench and was able to turn them by hand (just make sure you dont use the pipe to re-tighten, all you need is the stock piece, dont want to over-tighten)

have a great spring/ summer!

Mark Miller
04/05/2007, 04:36 PM
My VX was missing the key.
Drove me Crazy!
I went to O'Reilly auto parts and they had an emergency lug nut remover that actually worked.
Had to have an impact though.

deermagnet
04/05/2007, 05:08 PM
Depending on the crime in your area, it's probably a good idea to get rid of the locks. Years ago I got four stock lugnuts at an Isuzu dealer for $25 and I've never put the locks back on. Even if you feel like you need the locks, get four stock lugnuts anyway. Repair shops are famous for loosing the key, or breaking the key or locks with their airguns. Before you go in for service involving wheel removal, replace the locks, and then put the locks back on afterwards. No worries that way.

Also, I picked up a Gorilla Power Wrench. That thing is awesome. It gives you so much leverage that you'll never worry about getting the lugnuts free. Even if the shop guys torqued 'em too much.
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/products/?sfID1=270&sfID2=285 (http://www.gorilla-auto.com/products/?sfID1=270&sfID2=285)

Mark

vxDAKINECHICvx
04/05/2007, 09:23 PM
I just got my 60,000 mile service done and we couldn't find the key anywhere, so my tires didn't get rotated. :eek:
So, kind of at a loss as to what to do if I ever get a flat. I guess I just didn't think to look for it when I bought the VX.

Knigh7s
04/05/2007, 09:47 PM
I didn't get a key with my VX, but all it took was a 21mm socket and it came off just fine...

etlsport
04/05/2007, 09:48 PM
the reason i put mine in my toolbox is because i used to keep it in the little plastic baggie it came in w/ the serial number and all in the storage compartment with the jack, but it kept working its way back into the panel where i couldnt see it, i wonder if yours made it back there, there are also all sorts of little pockets behind your spare tire and around it, maybe in one of those? if not id recommend having a shop remove them for you, you dont wanna get stranded somewhere, esp if you end up going to moab and lose a tire on a trail

Ldub
04/06/2007, 05:31 AM
I just got my 60,000 mile service done and we couldn't find the key anywhere, so my tires didn't get rotated. :eek:
So, kind of at a loss as to what to do if I ever get a flat. I guess I just didn't think to look for it when I bought the VX.

Look me up when you get to Moab (I'll be the one with a human skull on top of my spare ;) ), I've got a special socket designed to remove wheel locks & 4 extra lug nuts to replace them with.
You will have to get a new set of locks though, as the removal socket isn't exactly "gentle" on the chrome finish on the lock nut.
Also, IMO, McGaard locks are the best I've used. (that's what came with the VX)

It's a long shot, but when were all together there's a chance that one of the other VX'ers key might fit your lock. I run three sets of locks & two are keyed alike by coincedence, so it does happen.

Chopper
04/06/2007, 06:24 AM
A bit off topic, but, I discovered my keyfob will unlock a Rodeo that belongs to someone at the Albertsons. Matching wheel locks are certainly likely as well.