PDA

View Full Version : Another Window fix

tom4bren
04/05/2007, 11:05 AM
I just got my 2000 VX and love it ... BUT ... !@#% windows.

My driver side window was so bad that the rubber stripping actually bunched up in front of the window and eventually tore. That prompted what may actually be the best fix for the recurring problem:

Cut the rubber where the front window frame meets the door & remove the entire lower portion. Throw that piece of junk as far as you possibly can. Use felt weather stripping from your local hardware store to line the track all the way down (glue in place using weather strip glue or RTV). Trim excess for asthetics. You may need more than one layer for a tighter fit but right now I only have one. I'll be making a 6 hour drive at highway speeds this weekend so I'll let you know if this created any wind noise. So far this trick seemed to work. I'll post again if I encounter any problems.

P.S. The whole process took me less than 20 minutes to complete.

VehiX
04/05/2007, 12:50 PM
Is this fix water resistant?

I would imagine you'll be getting water down in the door that will eventually lead to rust.

Joe_Black
04/05/2007, 01:06 PM
Are you talking about the guide rail inside the door or the forward portion of the outside weather seal?

JHarris1385
04/05/2007, 03:54 PM
Post pics.

tom4bren
04/26/2007, 01:38 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this - work got in the way.

I did in fact get wind noise at highway speeds so I'll be adding some more felt to get rid of that.

I'll try to take some pix of the fix this weekend. Actually, I'll try to take pix as I do the passenger side.

So far no water intrusion that I've noticed but will keep an eye on it. If you do the fix as I described it though there shouldn't be any more water intrusion than the factory design.

vrsvx
06/14/2007, 08:42 PM
As I mentioned in another thread I was going to use my Sticky Putty I bpught off HSN.COM and the stuff works!!! I have used this on all kinds of stuff and my god I think my window wow's are a thing of the past. This stuff is like a two part epoxy that when mixed together it makes the most incredible bond to anything. I took pictures of the finished project so if anyone wants to see what it looks like send me you email and I will send you some picts.

Thank God for Sticky Putty...it rules!!!

Dino
06/15/2007, 01:30 AM
I just got my 2000 VX and love it ... BUT ... !@#% windows.

My driver side window was so bad that the rubber stripping actually bunched up in front of the window and eventually tore. That prompted what may actually be the best fix for the recurring problem:

Cut the rubber where the front window frame meets the door & remove the entire lower portion. Throw that piece of junk as far as you possibly can. Use felt weather stripping from your local hardware store to line the track all the way down (glue in place using weather strip glue or RTV). Trim excess for asthetics. You may need more than one layer for a tighter fit but right now I only have one. I'll be making a 6 hour drive at highway speeds this weekend so I'll let you know if this created any wind noise. So far this trick seemed to work. I'll post again if I encounter any problems.

P.S. The whole process took me less than 20 minutes to complete.

I think you've cured acne by decapitation!