PDA

View Full Version : Steel wheels

nfpgasmask
04/05/2007, 09:14 AM
Hey, do any of you out there know a good, cheap place to order a 16x8 black steel wheel? I just want a generic steel rim so I can mount a full sized spare.

If you have any good links, let me know.

Thanks,

Bart

Triathlete
04/05/2007, 09:30 AM
By the time you pay shipping (steel is heavy) you might just buy local. The $$ you save+shipping will probably be the same as the local shops price.

Ldub
04/05/2007, 09:37 AM
Check out local salvage yards...I picked up an alloy wheel (16x7) from a Passport (Hondas re-badged rodeo) for $25. Also, you want as little weight as possible in a high center of gravity loca like a roof rack. ;)

nfpgasmask
04/05/2007, 09:47 AM
Good point. Hmmm, so, I will check with my local shop, but do you guys think having a full sized spare up top will cause me trouble (especially at Moab)? The last think I need is to tip my precious VX. I can probably carry it inside once I get to Moab, since I will be able to leave all my camping gear in the hotel, and that said I will be removing my donut spare to lighten the load for the trip.

Anyway, what suggestions do you all have?

Thanks - Bart

Check out local salvage yards...I picked up an alloy wheel (16x7) from a Passport (Hondas re-badged rodeo) for $25. Also, you want as little weight as possible in a high center of gravity loca like a roof rack. ;)

Triathlete
04/05/2007, 09:56 AM
Lots of people carry their spare on the roof. Personally I do not like the added weight up there when wheeling. I fold my rear seat forward and strap my FS spare to the rear floor using the floor hooks and 2 inch tie down straps. It is also MUCH easier to access the spare if needed...even if your upside down! :smack:

etlsport
04/05/2007, 11:17 AM
ive never carried a wheel up there but i had about 60lbs of gear up there over about 700 miles... i noticed a difference in handling right away, my girlfriend (who drives the VX once a month or so) said she could feel the vx being a little squirrelier in turns from the passenger seat without me saying anything.. i think if you can make it work, keeping the spare inside the vx is a better option, but as triathlete said, many people do wheel with it up there, so it can be done definately.. youve ditched the backseat right? maybe a cargo box back there with a spare tire holder would be a nice mod?

nfpgasmask
04/05/2007, 11:48 AM
Well, I think, if planned well enough, I could fit a full spare in the back. And yes, no rear seats, so it will definitely fit. I could opt for putting other, lighter stuff on the roof. The gas cans MUST go outside the VX because of the fumes, but I suppose I could also put the majority of my camping gear on the rack as well. I will be bringing the following:

DEFINITE ITEMS
2-4 five gallon gas cans
1 full sized spare
1 large cooler
1 large tripod
3 cameras
1 laptop
1 small camping grill
1 tent
4 bed rolls
2 sleeping bags
2 bags of misc stuff (clothes, towels, toiletries, dog items)
1 jack
1 4wheelair.com air tank
1 box of VX stuff (extra oil, tools, etc etc)
1 tool box

OPTIONAL ITEMS
2 folding chairs
1 extra blanket

Hmmm, that's all I can think of at the moment. I should be able to pack 75% of that in the VX. If I have a roof basket, the fuel and tripod and tent can go up top, possibly more.

So much to do!!!

:) Bart

ive never carried a wheel up there but i had about 60lbs of gear up there over about 700 miles... i noticed a difference in handling right away, my girlfriend (who drives the VX once a month or so) said she could feel the vx being a little squirrelier in turns from the passenger seat without me saying anything.. i think if you can make it work, keeping the spare inside the vx is a better option, but as triathlete said, many people do wheel with it up there, so it can be done definately.. youve ditched the backseat right? maybe a cargo box back there with a spare tire holder would be a nice mod?