PDA

View Full Version : Honest place to buy shocks from - I live in Alaska

kinnaq
03/27/2007, 02:26 PM
hi everyone, I have looked up quite a few threads on where to purchase Rancho Shocks. "Sam's Offroad" came up a few times. Unfortunately they will only ship UPS and will not credit any $$ difference to Alaska. (They offer FREE shipping for everyone else.) They were friendly & courteous.

They wanted $76 for UPS ground!!! It would actually be around $51 - $55.

For instance, (4) Rancho RS9000X shocks (fully extended) for shipping(normally shocks are sent compressed):

24" x 15" x 5" @ 21 lbs. is $55.74, no discount or business price. (UPS ground)
$55.58 (Fedex home delivery)

for a set of 4 RS5000 and the box they could fit in would be:

16" x 14" x 5" @ 20 lbs. is $54.08 total. (UPS ground)

I don't know why some places automatically seem to charge outrageous shipping prices when they hear the word 'Alaska'. I have shipped 10+ years for a living, I know what it should be.

I am just looking for a place that will charge actual shipping & have fair prices.

I want a set of RS5000, I am not looking for anything fancy like the RS9000X's.

(If I could purchase these locally, I would. I live in a small town and they don't stock this brand.)

Thanks.

WiSDoM
03/27/2007, 02:54 PM
I can't help you with shipping but i may be able to save you some money by telling you not to buy RS5000. they suck i have a set on my rodeo which hasn't not been modded in any way and those shock suck. it is like riding on a skateboard.. some one here might be able to help you out with what a good pair for the vx would be, but i if were you i wouldn't buy the the RS5000.

good luck

nocturnalVX
03/27/2007, 09:47 PM
I don't know what they would charge you for shipping, but you could check into INDEPENDENT4x (http://www.independent4x.com/homepage.html;$sessionid$TAAZ0QYAAAZCNTZENUGETIWPE RWRJPX0) or Darlington Offroad Products (http://www.darlington-offroad.com/) . They both are heavily involved in Isuzu off-roading & might be able to help you pick the best shock at the best price. Me? I love the Rancho 9-way adjustables! Good luck!

VehiGAZ
03/28/2007, 06:39 AM
Kinnaq, heed WiSDoM's wisdom - I've heard a lot more complaints about the 5000's than I have compliments.

If you want a basic non-adjustable shock, I would also suggest the Bilstein B46-1738/1739-H1 shocks as well. They are really, really close to the stock ride stiffness.

I got mine cheap at shox.com, which also has "free" shipping. Good luck!

driver3
03/28/2007, 06:43 AM
Try Sears... they will pay the shipping for the right ones, and carry rancho's. They price match, but not from the internet though.

The one by me, South colorado springs, is great. I ordered the shocks and took the vx in. 15 minutes later the shop manager called me back in from walking around the store waiting and told me first of all, the rancho 9000's would not be close to stock, and second, my shocks were fine, and I didn't need a new set anyway. He was impressed that I had "off road racing shocks" and then he referred me to a company in Denver to have them tested if I wanted. I would call that honest. So I bought tires from him instead ;Db;

Also, The isuzu dealer in Cleveland, Ohio, Zarzour I think (while ago), could NOT align my car, they did it under warranty twice when I first had the truck. After my tires and everything were mounted at sears, I had them do the alignment... my steering wheel is straight for the first time in like 5 years... Go Sears.

kinnaq
03/28/2007, 11:53 AM
(1). Scratch the RS5000's
(2.) Look into getting Bilstein B46-1738/1739-H1's
a.) RS9000
(3.) try Ind. 4 by, Darlington, Sears or Shox.

Rancho RS9000X's are a little more money & fancier than I can afford, but I'll keep them in mind. (I found out today, the front shocks are a little shorter than stock looking at Rancho's website).

Thanks everyone!