PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mileage Data

k4tmc
03/23/2007, 01:13 PM
Results: 4 full tanks of gas averaged between 18.9 to 20.1 mpg.

Methodology: fill tank, reset trip-odo to zero, drive to near empty, re-fill tank, note mileage, get calculator, do math; repeated 3 times

Background:
Over the last 2 weeks I have put over 1200 miles on the VX as a result of some regional business trips. Most of the mileage was 4-lane interstate driving. One 300 mile leg had extra cargo of around 350 lbs in the rear. Otherwise, it was just a driver (175 lb) and a 20 lb laptop/documentation bag.

A constant speed was maintained as mush as possible with the stock Cruise Control. In open rural areas the speed was normally set around 70 mph. In congested areas speeds varied between 60 - 70 mph. Otherwise, street speeds as posted were maintained. Each leg of the trips were driven non-stop as much as possible. Very few downshifts occurred (i.e., minimal road rage).

Gas was generic brand standard 87 octane regular.

The Power Drive option was on at all times.

Potential Contributing Factors:
A Mobil 1 oil and filter change was performed the weekend before the trips, with 77,800 miles on the odometer. The transmission and differential fluids are the same as were in it when I purchased in October.

The only mod to the engine is a generic (eBay purchase) cone air filer that replaces the stock filter and box. Oh, I did add an extra ground wire (4 ga) from the battery to the body, and painted the plastic engine top cover and oil filler cap Proton yellow.

Tires are the standard Bridgestone Dueler HT’s with air pressure at 32psi (checked the day before trips started)

Wheels are the stock 18 inch alloy.

Wind resistance may have been affected by Rain-X on the windshield and a recent Armor-All Tire Shine Gel on the cladding, hood insert and tires. The grille fangs and cladding bolts were painted Proton yellow with a protective clear coat finish. Note that it did not rain any of the time I was on the road.

I listened to the stock radio/CD unit. Driving music selections included albums by Meatloaf, Pink Floyd, Queen, Styx, and Blood, Sweat & Tears.

Driving beverage – strong coffee.

Henry

creeg
03/23/2007, 02:20 PM
Nice Dude.

Im assuming the air conditioner was not used?

k4tmc
03/23/2007, 05:32 PM
Ah! Good question. It was not used. Those days were very pleasant - not too cold, nor too hot. The normal flow with the outside air vent open was satisfactory to keep things cool enough to keep me from getting drowsy. Of course, the coffee helped also.

Henry

etlsport
03/24/2007, 03:54 PM
woo hoo! i dunno what i did differently.. but on a 170 mile trip today i averaged 20.6mpg!! and i was crusing around 80... saweet, itll probably never happen again either

Chopper
03/25/2007, 08:09 AM
It is the yellow fangs and cladding bolts that are at the root of your admirable MPG stats.