PDA

View Full Version : tapping on bottom passenger side/ help please.

CoastieCosta567
03/22/2007, 05:07 PM
Hey all, I have had this nasty tapping sound of like 2 metals shacking together, almost sence i got it back in Dec.. of 2006. Well it's like on the bottom front side of the passenger, like under the engine or front right tire. it sounds nasty like when i accel.. around 2.5 rpm's and gets louder till it switches gear and does it again. if i accel.. real fast u can't hear it, only when driving normal, well it's not loud only when i have something next to me to echo the swound back, and thats when i can really hear it, the walls are the worse. well i went under the car and hit or shake the ex.. pipe, it sounds almost like. the wrose is when i hit it it at that little box on the ex..pipe that is in between the front tire on the TOD, hope u guys know what i'm talking about. anayways My Mach.. told me I prob.. need new Ex. pipes. and the same with my father in law, they both know alot about cars, but u all are pros with VX's so I NEED your help. like all u know i'm new here but getting alot of knowledge cuz of u guys, ty :). So what do u guys think it could be?

OHHHHH by the way, the person that used to own this VX lived in Verg.. and moved to daytona beach. so its been in alot of salt, so u can just pic.. how bad this VX ex...pipes look.

Ldub
03/22/2007, 05:11 PM
Get out your cardboard, crawl under, wiggle the exhaust system, & LOOK...

you'll most likely find a rusted through heat shield doing the rattling. :(

HotFlyer
03/22/2007, 05:21 PM
Sounds like a loose baffle in your catalytic converter. Have it checked.

Howard (0761)

CoastieCosta567
03/22/2007, 05:26 PM
i had a loose heat shield and took it off but no it was not the problem. but the caty.. converter thing, when i hit it, it make a nasty metal noise. do u guys think thats the problem? I can't stand the sound any longer, sounds like a POS right now lol. I'm just hoping it's not the engine. but most deff.. I hit the Catly..Conv.. and it makes a load crappy noise.

Kenny
03/22/2007, 07:42 PM
O2 sensor?? I had an annoying rattle in my passenger rear O2 sensor(the one after the cat). When I pulled it off it rang like a bell when shook...

Hope you find the rattle...

Triathlete
03/22/2007, 07:45 PM
Passenger tapping foot to the beat of the music? :dance:

thedutchguy
03/23/2007, 03:31 AM
I bet it's the old VX poltergeist looking for a new place ! :p

VehiX
03/23/2007, 07:59 AM
I've had the same exact problem before and it returned 2 years later after I had it fixed. It sounds like a jar of change rolling around and is most predominate at idle.

The first time I took it to the dealer and had it fixed under warranty. They replaced that whole section of the exhaust on the passenger side from the cat all the way to the can along with the O2 sensor. Sure enough as the VX warranty AND the parts warranty ran out, it started happening again.

I live in the north east, so rust is a problem here and is the most likely contributor to the problem.

Since the warranties ran out, I opted to climb up under the VX to investigate. The rattle comes when you tap on the exhaust right where the TOD labeled heat shield is located (directly under passenger seat). I ripped the heat shield off however the noise continues. It sounds as though the cat internals are breaking apart inside the exhaust pipe. It could be the O2 sensor as well so check that first as the O2 sensor will be MUCH cheaper than replacing that section of the exhaust (about $750 just for parts from the dealer!). ;eekr;

Note: Wear protective eye gear before you climb up under there and start tapping around. Chunks of rust in the eye does not feel good at all based on my experience!

I was lucky and managed to buy both these sections of the exhaust (stock) for $650 shipped to my door!!! This was a special deal here from a fellow VX members friend :).

Parts listing for both stock sections of the exhaust will run you about $1,400 not including labor according to the manual! :_wtf:

I know this noise is annoying as hell so good luck resolving it. You'll be smiling a lot once it goes away!