PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket alarm systems

djkymar
03/19/2007, 07:46 PM
I was thinking about stock VX alarm system and my thoughts wasnt good for me because as i know factory alarm system on VX basicly just locks side doors and thats it, no back door protection no hood open prodection and if you will brake window it not gonna go off either so i decide to put aftermarket alarm system but i dont know which one there is so many of them so i was wondering who`s here got what? I would like have protection on all 3 doors and open hood, braking any window and some things like remote start engine and roll up windows would be nice too but not neseccery.

Kenny
03/19/2007, 08:14 PM
I have an older 2 way FM Compustar alarm/starter and am very pleased with it.
Take a look at biju's new 9000 model - it ROCKS!

Keep in mind that in order for you to alarm your rear door you'll need a pin switch. Since the rear door can only be opened by a key (unless you know were to reach if the spare tire cover is off..). It's a bit of a learning curve to remember to disarm the alarm before you open it with a key - unless you have a popper that's got some disarm logic in the alarm system... That's a future mod in the works for me...

With a good alarm system you can build on it with extras like glass break, motion sensor, auto arm logic... I'd also suggest a back up siren if the power is cut, and maybe a nice loud piezo siren in your dash to make it uncomfortable to be inside the car.

If cash is not too much of an issue :p - biju's working on a nice system with all the bells and whistles. Watch and learn, I will be.

djkymar
03/19/2007, 08:23 PM
haha kenny yeah i wonder how much his system cost but it def worth the money and time working on it. SO if i dont have rear door poper it would be harder for me to install alarm on back door right? If so then should i get rear door poper?

etlsport
03/20/2007, 07:03 AM
you dont need to get the popper, all you would need is a pin switch to get the back door tied into the alarm, but most aftermarket alarms you get will have another chanel to allow you to open your back door, so it might be worth getting the popper kit just for convenience

on this subject.. anyone know if a glass break sensor or motion sensor can be added to our stock alarm? i wouldnt think it would be that hard... theres some sort of signal when the sensor is tripped, that wire could be tied into the one that sends the signal to the alarm when the door is opened right? like adding the pin switch from tones popper kit

thedutchguy
03/20/2007, 07:46 AM
Get one of those alarm systems like james bond had in his lotus before it blew up. Or even better the one demonstrated in robocop 2: just wipe the electrocuted thief from your seat and drive off! :p

johnnyapollo
03/20/2007, 08:05 AM
My Compustar it tied into both the rear door (added a pin switch) and the rear door opener (for the popper mod). When I click the second button, it disarms the truck. When I click the third button, it both disarms the truck and activates the trunk popper, so the door opens. It also has an auto-start and feedsback into the remote up to 6000 feet (I have the spread-spectrum version). When the alarm goes off the remote does too, with a small LCD showing whether it's a door, trunk or window breakage/shock. When the truck is remote started it shows lights on and exhaust coming from the rear.

There are two optional buttons that I could tie into opening/closing the windors or sunroof, or even the stereo if I wanted.

-- John

biju
03/20/2007, 10:22 AM
WAY, Way, way... back in the day I used Alpine alarms, which were really good. But I'm pretty pleased with CompuSTAR. They do soo much... (cheap sirens w/ the compustar's tho).

Overall I like em'.

-biju.

djkymar
03/20/2007, 07:14 PM
so what you suggest guys go with stock alarm or put some good aftermarket one? Im asking because i have a lot of stuff in my car audio system and stuff like that and i would be really pissed if someone would stole it you knwo what i mean

biju
03/20/2007, 07:22 PM
ha! I wouldn't recommend relying on the stock alarm to protect anything more than your redbull in the cup-holder. And even then you're risking it. I see the factory alarm system as just a way to keylessly lock/unlock your VX - nothing more.

Last audio setup I had the alarm was an afterthought - mostly because my VX is garaged at work and home. However, I've been reading a lot of horror stories online of those who aren't so fortunate and get their equipment jacked by some gremlins...

If you're going to spend the time, money, effort, energy, etc., into owning/installing a mobile audio system - get the best security system you can to hedge your investment. I felt sooo much better once armed properly. That way if by chance I became one of those unfortunate souls, at least I'd fell better knowing I did all I could to prevent the losses.

-biju.

thedutchguy
03/21/2007, 03:13 AM
I made a conversion to an aftermarket alarm bij making a connector box.
This way you can always switch back or take out your alarm when you sell it.
Because you're using the original connector on one side.The pins originally in the factory alarm can be outsourced and soldered to the aftermarket wiring.
Fitted it when I got my vx and it's been working flawlessly since.
I used a texalarm bas328 system, but i don't know if it's available in the States.

djkymar
03/21/2007, 08:10 PM
how much is enought to spend on alarm system?
i know they starts from 50$ and up to 300-400$ maybe even more