PDA

View Full Version : Rough Ride??

Healthnut10
03/18/2007, 07:38 PM
I just bought a 2001 VCross. I enjoy it but it seems to bounce around alot on the highway. I know its set up for off road but is it really supposed to bounce around and feel all jolty? It only has 13,000 miles on it. Any assistance would be appreciated.

WILLY
03/18/2007, 07:59 PM
I PUT RANCHO SHOCKS ON MINE AND CUT THE REAR RUBBER BUMP STOPS HALF OFF.MINE WERE ONLY A HALF INCH FROM THE AXLE SO I PULLED OFF THE WHEELS AND TOOK THE SAWZALL AND CUT HALF OF THEM OFF AND WOW WHAT A GREAT RIDE IT IS NOW AND REAL EASY,ONLY TOOK TEN MINUTES.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/05-Photo_5.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/05-Photo_5.jpg)

Triathlete
03/18/2007, 08:11 PM
Part of the problem is it is a short wheelbase vehicle with a stiff suspension for better ROAD handling. That combined with a real frame and you get the ride described above. If you want Cadillac smoothness as you drive down the road you bought the wrong vehicle. You can smooth it out a little but its still a stiff suspesion, short wheelbased full frame vehicle.
Personally, I love the way it rides and wouldn't have it any other way...well except getting rid of the IFS!

Chopper
03/19/2007, 04:05 PM
Could'nt agree with Billy more...I would'nt trade off VX handling for a soft ride. Soften this thing up, and you won't be able to toss it at the twisties, with any thing like the stupidity it will alow in its Natural state, without going turtle on you.

VehiGAZ
03/21/2007, 06:48 AM
Healthnut, a previous owner might have modified the original suspension by replacing the original shocks. My VX was a bouncy ride when I first got it because the first owner had swapped out the very stiff stock shocks for weak-as-a-wet-noodle KYB Gas-O-Matic shocks which were no match for the super-stiff springs. The reason I suggest this is that my VX's ride was exactly as you described - "bouncy" - before I replaced the KYBs with Bilsteins. The stock ride is not bouncy - it's stiff like a sports car.

I suggest you take some pictures of your suspension setup (the shocks, mainly) and post them here. We'll be able to tell you if they are the stock shocks or after-market.

Also, check to see if the shocks are leaking fluid, especially at the top by the reservoir chambers. If they are leaking or non-original shocks, there are several solutions at a pretty reasonable cost.

Good luck!