PDA

View Full Version : Autobahn to lower speed?!

WormGod
03/15/2007, 07:43 AM
Saw on CNN this morning that politicians are lobbying to lower the limit to 80mph (whatever that equates to kph). Apparently, German scientists have concluded that slower driving means your vehicle has cleaner emissions. They showed the proof and sure enough, it surprised me as well. To top it all off, it even meant better mpg! Call me goatboy and slap me tenderly! But, it still means Germany could be losing one of their wonders of the world if this comes to pass.

I am on the fence concerning this since, clean air is good for the body, but the joys of spirited driving are good for the soul, heh.

etlsport
03/15/2007, 07:51 AM
:( i was sad to hear about this too.. it is true about economy though.. cruising at 80 i get around 16.5 mpg... at 70 ive gotten 18.. and in heavy flowing traffic around 55-60 i hit 20mpg once

Scott Harness
03/15/2007, 08:31 AM
I've heard traffic on the autobahn is getting to crowded to go flat out anyway. Montana still has some places where it is possible.

nfpgasmask
03/15/2007, 08:38 AM
And so does Nevada ;)

Bart

I've heard traffic on the autobahn is getting to crowded to go flat out anyway. Montana still has some places where it is possible.

rowhard
03/15/2007, 01:56 PM
The Green party has been trying to lower the speed on the autobahn for years, the electronic limit (gentlemans adgreement) of 155mph, the German auto industries apeasement to government regulation

Chopper
03/15/2007, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I've played pretty hard, more than once, in Nevada. Such a relief when you finally bust free of Cali. I found a place in S.E. Ohio about 15 years ago, an old German community, rolling hills,off camber turns, fast sweepers...everything a driver could want... except... last time back, it had become fun to watch Amish, and eighty year olds in forty foot vehicles were everywhere, and fun was in short supply. Route 25 in Kentucky is pretty cool as well.