PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cut Off Unexpectedly

k4tmc
03/14/2007, 06:49 PM
So I am driving down the expressway at 60mph, on the way to the dentist, and slow for the exit ramp loop. About halfway around the loop, the engine dies. The radio and lights still work. I coast to a stop. The engine temp gauge is normal. No warning lights are flashing. Get out and check the oil level (just did oil change Saturday) - full. Try one restart with no luck. No strange noises noted. Walk about 3/4 miles to dentist office, call wife, and proceed with dental exam.

Upon return to VX, check things again, no problems noted. Try restart - works great. I run engine for 10 minutes listening and observing engine compartment - no problems noted. I proceeded to work and drove back home this evening with no other problems noted.

Any ideas as to what happened?

Henry

etlsport
03/14/2007, 06:59 PM
i suggest this culprit for many problems.. but i think its accurate, fuel pressure regulator, mine causes/caused all sorts of trouble in my VX, including stalling on the highway at 75 and trouble getting my VX to start.. but only randomly, 95% of the time it drives fine

MSHardeman
03/15/2007, 07:50 AM
I wonder if the fuel pressure regulator might be becoming a problem for me too. I have noticed, recently, that the VX takes a few more cranks (at startup) to fire up. I used to get in it, turn the key and the engine would immediately catch. Now, I have to let it crank for a split second longer before it will catch. It's not a big deal now, but it's something I've noticed.
Where is the fuel pressure regulator, and is there a way to check it?

k4tmc
03/15/2007, 06:38 PM
etlsport,

Thanks for the possible culprit suggestion.

I wonder if that is connected to another minor problem that shows up about once a month. When I start the engine it idles so low that the engine will not keep running. A second start with more pressure on the gas pedal to keep the idle higher for a minute, then everything is OK. This seems to only happen when the engine is warm, not hot or cold. For example, the last time it occurred - after setting for an hour after a 30 minute drive from work to my daughter's softball game.

So where is the fuel pressure regulator?

BTW, I did a 500+ mile business trip today in the VX with no problems of any kind, except the amount of gas consumed :(

Henry

etlsport
03/15/2007, 07:06 PM
sounds exactly like my symptoms.. ive gotten in the habit of turning the key to acc mode, giving 1 pump of the gas then starting it up.. ive got an FPR sitting on my shelf in the workshop... but keep getting side tracked so havent done it.. its located towards the back of the engine bay along the firewall, the instructions i got to install it seemed very easy.. release fuel pressure.. remove old FPR (assembly around it has to be loosened first) install the new one and put everything back together in reverse order.. one of these days ill do it and be able to give a 1st hand account.. but until then heres the diagram from the vx cd manual... fuel pressure regulator is #9

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/engine_bay.JPG

k4tmc
03/15/2007, 07:28 PM
OK on the location of the FPR.

Last question - is your replacement an OEM unit or a generic replacement from a parts house?

Henry

etlsport
03/16/2007, 12:47 PM
the one i ordered is generic, someone recommended it to me, so i never even checked the price from merlin.. heres the link to where i ordered from
http://www.drivewerks.com/cgi-bin/ppexpress/ppe_drivewerks.cgi?command=show_part_page&YEAR=2000&MAKE=IS&MODEL=VEH--001&Category=C&esc_part=Fuel+Pressure+Regulator

Tone
03/16/2007, 03:45 PM
In my experience it was the fuel pump as I had the same symptoms. The regulator is a relatively simple part that does not fail that often. Make sure you have changed your fuel filter lately as that could contribute to the problem.

What is your fuel pressure reading when cold and then when hot? This would extremely helpful in determining the real culprit. The regulator is certainly easier to change (and cheaper) than the pump - you just need a good set of snap ring pliers so the ring can be compressed to remove/install it. Be sure to maintain the order of the orings and spacers when you move them over and do not loose the very tiny bottom black oring (it should stay in the housing). I have pictures of the order the items need to be in in the supercharger install manual downloadable on my site.

Changing the fuel pump requires the tank to be almost completely dropped. New pump and strainer with lifetime warranty cost me around $200.

k4tmc
03/16/2007, 06:07 PM
OK, thanks for all of the input on this problem.

Henry