PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Can

nfpgasmask
03/13/2007, 11:05 AM
Hey, do any of you guys have any good ideas for ways of carrying 1 or 2 jerry cans outside the VX? I was thinking of a Yakima Load Warrior, but they are pretty shallow and jerry cans are pretty tall and probably wouldn't be very stable up there, even if tied down. But maybe off to the sides of a Load Warrior?

I want to be able to carry some auxillary gas with me, maybe 5 to 10 gallons, as parts of NV are far and wide, and service stations can be few and far between. I really want to build a custom rack for my VX that can hold a full sized spare, jack, shovel and at least one jerry can...

Any ideas?

Bart

http://www.roof-rack-supplies.co.uk/pics/accessories/jerry-can-2.jpg

PHO2GR4
03/13/2007, 11:12 AM
But...but...those Jerry Cans aren't BLACK! :eek:

::shakes head sadly::

kpaske
03/13/2007, 11:51 AM
You could probably do a row of 4 or 5 of those short ones along the back edge of the Load Warrior. It might look silly if the rack were otherwise empty, but with a full size spare they would look good IMO.

On a side note, you should also consider how you might lock them down, as fuel is becoming quite a valuable commodity these days. Anyone remember Mad Max? :D

nfpgasmask
03/13/2007, 01:11 PM
Come on man, that's nothing a can of Rustoleum can't fix! Don't think for 1 second that I won't be spraying them black! I won't even put colored bungies in my VX!

;) Bart

But...but...those Jerry Cans aren't BLACK! :eek:

::shakes head sadly::

nfpgasmask
03/13/2007, 01:16 PM
Well, I would be carrying them when I go camping or offroading for the day....and to Moab of course.

On a side note, you should also consider how you might lock them down, as fuel is becoming quite a valuable commodity these days. Anyone remember Mad Max? :D

Come on! Of course I remember Mad Max, so much so that one of these is on a barge coming over from down under to sit nicely next to my VX this summer!

http://www.pacocostas.com/blog_jcf/fotos450/interceptor1.jpg

I can't wait! And you guys think I am crazy about my VX!!! ;)

Bart

PHO2GR4
03/13/2007, 01:31 PM
What the hell is THAT?!?

Some type of Holden?

Were those Mad Max cars called "Interceptors" or something?

Crikey, Mate! Good on ya!

nfpgasmask
03/13/2007, 01:43 PM
Go to you bookshelf in your living room and grab your Mad Max DVD (if you don't already have it on DVD, you should be ashamed). Pop it in. The car driven by "The Night Rider" in the opening scene is a Holden....

The blue and yellow "Pursuit" and "Interceptor" cars are Ford Falcon sedans.

Max's black on black "Interceptor" is a 1973 Ford Falcon XB Coupe....Ford America stopped making the Falcon in the late 60s I think, but Ford Australia kept the line going and did an independent redesign in the early 70s that yielded the XA, XB, and XC series Falcons, both sedans and coupes.

I have a 1976 XC Coupe on the way. It is currently white and in need of some moderate restoration work. After which I will be giving it a Mad Max inspired look...

I can't freakin wait....

Bart

What the hell is THAT?!?

Some type of Holden?

Were those Mad Max cars called "Interceptors" or something?

Crikey, Mate! Good on ya!

Joe_Black
03/13/2007, 01:54 PM
Bart, if you really have an Aussie Falcon coming you realize I'll be paying wherever you keep it a late-night visit with a trailer and an extraction team. ;)

So, speaking of Mad Max, why do you get an 80 gallon short LP tank and fit it in the rear door half in/half out. That's what Max would do, if he had a VX. :p

nfpgasmask
03/13/2007, 02:10 PM
Hey Joe, indeed I do. I am in the final stages of getting it arranged currently.

And you do realize that like Max's Falcon, mine will also be rigged with explosives....so if you plan on stealing it, I can only say, "Last of the V8 Interceptors, would be a shame to...blow it up..."

:)

And yes, I am actually toying with the idea of equipping mine with two auxillary gas tanks like the Falcon in The Road Warrior. I'm not sure how to make them functional, or if it would be illegal if they were, but I am thinking about it. While I love the orginal shiney Interceptor from Mad Max, the Mad Max II version is more to my liking:

Talk about Jerry cans... (http://www.madmaxmovies.com/fanstuff/cars/LastV8II/index.html)

:) Bart

Bart, if you really have an Aussie Falcon coming you realize I'll be paying wherever you keep it a late-night visit with a trailer and an extraction team. ;)

So, speaking of Mad Max, why do you get an 80 gallon short LP tank and fit it in the rear door half in/half out. That's what Max would do, if he had a VX. :p

Techy-D
03/13/2007, 02:27 PM
...On a side note, you should also consider how you might lock them down, as fuel is becoming quite a valuable commodity these days. Anyone remember Mad Max? :D

Ah, just paint it brown and label it "Sewer Water"! :eek:

Or, better yet, blue and call it a JERRY CANteen! :p

PHO2GR4
03/13/2007, 02:49 PM
Bart and Joe: I'm reminded of Thunderdome:

"Two nerds enter...one nerd leaves..."

;)

JHarris1385
03/13/2007, 02:57 PM
I love the Falcon XB's.

That is on my wish list. Someday I will find room in my accounts and garage for one.

Ascinder
03/13/2007, 03:34 PM
Well, I hate to burst the bubble and get back on topic......but what about getting that hitch receiver put in and making a custom rack to go on back. You could sit it up high enough so that in wouldn't mess up you departure angle too bad and low enough to keep your center of gravity down low (instead of up high like it would be on the roof). You could run all that stuff easy that way. If you need a hand with the design/fabrication, I can help out as I was looking at something like this myself. Wow, way too many projects spinning around lately though :rolleyes: .

Joe_Black
03/13/2007, 05:58 PM

;)
ROTFL!!! :p

nfpgasmask
03/13/2007, 06:04 PM
Hmmm, now there's an idea! And, to make it even better, one of Tone's hitches is already on the way!

Thanks!

Bart

Well, I hate to burst the bubble and get back on topic......but what about getting that hitch receiver put in and making a custom rack to go on back. You could sit it up high enough so that in wouldn't mess up you departure angle too bad and low enough to keep your center of gravity down low (instead of up high like it would be on the roof). You could run all that stuff easy that way. If you need a hand with the design/fabrication, I can help out as I was looking at something like this myself. Wow, way too many projects spinning around lately though :rolleyes: .

nfpgasmask
03/13/2007, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I have to admit, I nerd out on Mad Max stuff....

:) Bart

;)

Triathlete
03/13/2007, 10:49 PM
Or you could always purchase the shorter fatter plastic cans and put them on your loadwarrior.

Ldub
03/14/2007, 06:04 AM
Not to "poop in anyone's punchbowl" here but...
Won't a rear hitch mounted fuel holder make getting rear ended a little TOO interesting??? ;)

As a side note, I fit two of the little 2+ gallon plastic cans on my roof rack last year & hauled them to Moab & back...never used a drop.
Some of those who were there may remember how they looked like they were going to implode in the morning, and in the heat of the afternoon, they looked like they were "inflated".
I still can't believe they sealed that well.

Joe_Black
03/14/2007, 06:29 AM
Not to "poop in anyone's punchbowl" here but...
Won't a rear hitch mounted fuel holder make getting rear ended a little TOO interesting??? ;)
Nah, that's external combustion and good incentive to not tailgate. :)

Interesting side note: When I had my 1st Gen Trooper I used to get rear-ended in a local McDonalds drive-thru I frequented for lunch ocassionally. At the time, both bumpers were overly-stout units I had fabbed from 6" channel so there never was any damage to my rig just the person hitting me. To "dissuade" further introductions of that nature I fabbed up what more-or-less looked like a big steel mace for my rear 2" receiver. Only once person took a shot at it, and left their grill and part of a condenser impaled on it.

kpaske
03/14/2007, 09:45 AM
To "dissuade" further introductions of that nature I fabbed up what more-or-less looked like a big steel mace for my rear 2" receiver. Only once person took a shot at it, and left their grill and part of a condenser impaled on it.
Oooohhh, I want one. ;Db;