PDA

View Full Version : Headliner

JHarris1385
03/12/2007, 08:53 AM
This is just a thought, not sure how easy it can be done. Thats why I am asking for advice. I think the headliner would look really good in black. But I am not sure how to do that. Is there some type of paint for this? Or would I have to purchase new felt/fabirc and lay it down up there.

I really think it would cool to have a black headliner with red visors.

VehiX
03/12/2007, 08:59 AM
There is a fabric paint out there, but for the long run, I would recomend doing it over with the materials of your choice. I think some one on here from alaska with an ebony already redid there's in red. Check it out.

etlsport
03/12/2007, 09:17 AM
new fabric is definately the way to go.. not too difficult either, start by pulling the old one down, vacuum/scrape the leftover crap off, cut your material a little big bigger than you need, start at either the front or back (with the visors and dome light removed of course, you can take the paneling off too.. but its not really that important, then use a good quality spray adhesive, i spray onto the fabric itself to avoid getting glue on my panels, then use a 3" paint roller with a PVC pipe on it to roll it smooth, around the edges to tuck under panels i use a door panel/upholstry remover.. one day project if you take your time

Joe_Black
03/12/2007, 09:50 AM
Our headliner is a one-piece unit, so I don't know how well "peeling" the face off will turn out. I've got one out and can take a few pictures if you like.

the upside of removing it is you can then replace the crappy OEM insulation with some DynaMat Xtreme. ;)

JHarris1385
03/12/2007, 10:29 AM
Now can you get this fabric or good fabric at a Wall_mart so to say or would it be better to go to a fabric store?

Also how easy is the pulling down and re-glueing process. I would be afraid that I would not be able to re-glue it right and it would sag.

Joe_Black
03/12/2007, 11:35 AM
The headliner itself is held up mostly by mechanical fasteners and components such as the grab handles, rear trim panel and sun visors. There are a couple strips of double-sided tape along the center line.

Here's a not-so-good pic from my "Rally Beast" thread of the interior roof:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=451

I'll be updating that thread with some photos of some recent work, so will look if I took any better shots for your reference.

JHarris1385
03/12/2007, 12:11 PM
I went out to the VX on my break and realized that it not just fabric it has a hard texture to it like carboard. At this point I really dont think tearing it down and putting fabric up would be a good idea. But it is still in the air.

Otherwise. does any one know muc about how well fabric paint would adhere to the headliner or what specific type to buy?

johnnyapollo
03/13/2007, 06:18 AM
Just cover the existing with a cloth liner - that's what my sun-roof installer did once he cut out the section that needed removing for the sun-roof hardware. Look at Donnie's gallery (user dyanni) to see what it looks like it black.

-- John

Chopper
03/14/2007, 02:38 PM
The glueing is done with a spray gun and contact cement. You can do it with a can of 3m spray adhesive. Peel off the Grey cloth, coat the foam piece and the new fabric, lay it out and smooth it out... replace headliner... drink celebratory beer...repeat final step as necessary. This is a 1, on a scale of 1-10, on difficulty. Have at it with all confidence, you can do it.

etlsport
03/14/2007, 06:56 PM
i was going for what chopper said.. maybe i didnt say it quite right, but yeah, ive done that in a couple of cars.. very easy, just make sure to use a good quality adhesive

JHarris1385
03/14/2007, 08:13 PM
I might have to tackle this mod this weekend. I would look cool black and possibly carbon fiberish. I really want to re-cover those visors I hate those warning stickers.

CrnCnn
03/14/2007, 08:23 PM
The glueing is done with a spray gun and contact cement. You can do it with a can of 3m spray adhesive. Peel off the Grey cloth, coat the foam piece and the new fabric, lay it out and smooth it out... replace headliner... drink celebratory beer...repeat final step as necessary. This is a 1, on a scale of 1-10, on difficulty. Have at it with all confidence, you can do it.

Why is it you have to finish with a celebratory beer? I like to celebrate during and when finished.!!!!