PDA

View Full Version : Easy fix for CD changer problem?

Heraclid
05/10/2003, 11:44 AM
Hello everyone,

Just got my VX not even 2 weeks ago and this morning the CD changer decided it won't play the discs and won't eject any either. All I get is a beep and an "Err3" on the display. The unit at least appears pretty accessible, so I was wondering if any of you have experienced this before as well, and if so, is there a simple do-it-yourself fix for this?

Andrey
05/10/2003, 11:52 AM
i've had same thing after 2 years. all my cds got stuck inside and Isuzu had replaced the unit and after 4 weeks send my discs back. also they sent a note saying do not use self recorded discs ??? what a BS ! so, i am not sure if there is an easy to fix solution

Heraclid
05/10/2003, 12:05 PM
I have one CD I burned in there at this time and it has done just fine, but this happened right after putting in two new ones that were not self-recorded. Like you, I don't see why it makes any difference. Sure shouldn't have anything to do with the thing breaking. And I didn't try to force-feed it before the little indicator lights showed it was ready to accept a new CD or anything like that. This was during totally normal operation.

Just wondering if it may be possible to retrieve them myself, and if that would possibly fix it (a jam or something?) without going through a repair shop.

Andrey
05/10/2003, 12:27 PM
mine failed after the bump.. it was plaing CD and next thing was err3 on display. I guess VX has a very stiff ride and CD changer has hard time playing on all those bumpy roads. I've even attempted to re-set whole electrical system by unplugging battery for 10 min ? it did not work for me but maybe you can try that... just in case.

BTW, new unit that they've installed after several hours it is getting hot and skips also ... go figure ?

Heraclid
05/10/2003, 01:37 PM
This was different because it happened right after pulling out of my garage while parked in the driveway. No bumps, and I've yet to be off-road with my VX. I was just ejecting a few CDs to put in a couple of new ones, and after they went in nothing would play. I did a little digging and found and tried Tone's reset procedure, but to no avail. Don't have the money to replace the thing now, but do have $100 deductible warranty I can use for a temporary stock fix until I can get a new Pioneer or something.

Andrey
05/10/2003, 04:49 PM
good for you that you have extended warr. i've just purchased 6/72K.
I guess stock changer unit will be around $600 (just uneducated guess). Everything on VX is outrageous in price. I had fron left schock failed on me at 17K. Guess how much Isuzu paid for it .... $420.00 !
Replacement antenna is $100 or so at dealership - rippoff !

Triathlete
05/10/2003, 05:51 PM
The best fix is to replace the system! I have a Pioneer head unit and they make a single disc and 6 disc player that fit the space perfectly. Then rip the stock changer apart and salvage the discs! In my opinion the discs are worth more than the stock player;ooy; :deady: ;ooy; :deady:

Anita
05/10/2003, 06:04 PM
I have played nothing but burned cd's for more than a year without an incident.

I did have one commercially made cd that got stuck and I got the er3.

I used the age old technique of slap, hit and punch while pressing buttons. Worked beautifully...

:smack:

paultvx
05/11/2003, 12:29 AM
Easy fix?

Remove. Insert in trash.

kpaske
05/11/2003, 06:26 AM
I had the same problem with my stock CD Changer about 6 weeks after purchasing my brand new '99 VX. Knowing that DIN sized CD changers are inherently evil and bound to fail sooner or later, rather than having Isuzu replace it I convinced the dealer to trade me some options of equal value. In the end I wound up with a hood bra, roof rack, and two bike racks with locking mounts. I later replaced the stock head unit with a Pioneer DEH-P8000R indash CD and couldn't be happier. ;Db;

Andrey
05/11/2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by paultvx
Easy fix?

Remove. Insert in trash. :jump:

Heraclid
05/11/2003, 08:43 AM
:) Ah yes... I've tried the slap, hit, & punch technique as well as Tone's reset procedure twice. Nothing. :(

I'll keep trying periodically, but whether or not it works before I get it worked on, it is getting replaced with something else. It is doomed. Hahahahaha!

VAVX
05/12/2003, 06:28 AM
my brother has a '99 trooper with the same stock player as the VX and his kept eating cd's and not cooperating, so one day we were fooling with it and he just decided to jam a screwdriver into it and kill it. all of the cd's came spitting out much faster than normal and after they all came out the cd player puked out some wierd looking crescent shaped rubber piece, kind of like a final 'screw you.' it was great.

Dallas4u
05/12/2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by VAVX
my brother has a '99 trooper with the same stock player as the VX and his kept eating cd's and not cooperating, so one day we were fooling with it and he just decided to jam a screwdriver into it and kill it. all of the cd's came spitting out much faster than normal and after they all came out the cd player puked out some wierd looking crescent shaped rubber piece, kind of like a final 'screw you.' it was great.

At least it got the "shaft".

Navigator
05/12/2003, 07:21 AM
IMO best solution is to save a few dollars and replace the head unit with a single disc mp3 capable unit ;)

transVXmen
05/12/2003, 11:07 AM
Same problem..I hate the stock CD changer..it really is old tech for a CD changer...but like Anita said try the kicking and hitting while it's TRYING to come out!...also after pressing any of the buttons to eject, try sticking a CD(prefebly a damaged used CD) in the slot halfway and then pulling out..it sometimes tricks the CD changer and it spits out the CD that your trying to eject...IF that doesn't work, replace it with a Neo Car jukebox (MP3 harddrive). I have one and it works great with my Kenwood...no more fussing around with CD's...and I have my entire CD collection library (400+ CD's)and then some in my VX...

lostemple
05/12/2003, 12:52 PM
Just as added input, I still have the stock unit and it is working great. I only have CDR's in it and have never had a problem. While I have gone over some serious curbs and medians, I have not gone 4X4 ing. As a replacement head unit I highly recommend Eclipse and Alpine. The reason being is that they have very quick MP3 access while Pioneer, Sony and Panasonic seem to be slower. The new models might be faster so by all means check out Pioneer. They have what I believe to be the best looking with the most features for less cash.

Simon Templar
05/12/2003, 02:21 PM
I can also add kudos for Blaupunkt units. I use nothing but CDR's and ....in the nearly two years it has been in service... I have yet to have any troubles whatsoever.

On the other hand, I did not have troubles with the OEM units either, though...for whatever that might be worth.

In other vehicles, I have owned and had many troubles with Alpine, Concord, and Pioneer units. In each case, the respective companies were very aggravating to deal with over the matter.

By contrast, I have had but only one problem with any of my Blau's (I have been a loyal Blau man for a number of years now...equalling 4 installations).....that one problem was not their fault, it was mine....and they were absolutely WONDERFUL to deal with! In fact, they sent me the replacement parts free...didn't even ask for shipping.

It would take an awful lot to pull me away from Blau ...at least for the forseeable future.

....sT

WyrreJ
05/12/2003, 05:28 PM
Simon (no way that's your real name, right?) have you tried the digital amps from Blau? I'm thinking about going with some of them for their light weight and lack of heat, but I haven't seen any reviews at all.

Simon Templar
05/13/2003, 09:44 PM
I have been intending to look into those. I saw a mention on them when they first came out...but nothing since.

Have been thinking one to be a good candidate for my sub when I get around to putting it in. (That entire project has been on hold for a bit more than a year now...bout time I got around to it, I think)

.....sT

paultvx
05/13/2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by WyrreJ
Simon (no way that's your real name, right?) have you tried the digital amps from Blau? I'm thinking about going with some of them for their light weight and lack of heat, but I haven't seen any reviews at all.

I've got two of them in my VX. Sound just fine. Look around for pricing though... prices vary by a lot. There is a place online who is an authorized dealer and their price is probably one of the lowest I've ever seen. Can't remember the name right now. If you do a search for Blau authorized dealer with Google it'll most likely turn up.

Ah ha! I found it. http://www.continentalimports.com/blaupunkt.html

Just so you know, I didn't actually buy from them... but I should have. I worked with a guy who had an account with one of the local shops. Continental Imports didn't get back to me soon enough with pricing info. I should've waited... would've saved over $100.

Swordy
06/18/2004, 02:30 PM
So what would be a good reciever (must have cd/mp3/satellite), and changer to get? And,, are there any decent 6 disc changers that will fit in the stock location (other than the nakamichi and audiovox)? ALso, ya think the fujitu ten "eclipse" cd changer would hook up to our stock radios??

I was thinking maybe
pioneer p760mp,
sony F7700,
clarion dxz645mp,
or possibly the audiovox 5 cd in dash reciever.

As far as a decent changer that will fit in dash, I'm basicly at a loss. maybe I could modify the stock location to fit a pioneer 6 disc changer?

Any help would be appreciated.
Andy

Green Dragon
06/18/2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Swordy

Any help would be appreciated.
Andy

Here's a start, now get back to work on the sway bar disconnects.

http://www.carstereo.com/?ref=xsspl

AlaskaVX
06/18/2004, 03:43 PM
I saw a disc changer that would fit a single din. But for the life of me I cannot remember the brand!!!!! It was not a super popular brand is all I can remember! Could have possibly been eclipse? But like I said I can't remember for the life of me! But I know there is one out there!
And the changer buttons were set up almost like our stock buttons, and they glowed green (not Alpine) good luck!

Dallas4u
06/18/2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
I saw a disc changer that would fit a single din. But for the life of me I cannot remember the brand!!!!! It was not a super popular brand is all I can remember! Could have possibly been eclipse? But like I said I can't remember for the life of me! But I know there is one out there!
And the changer buttons were set up almost like our stock buttons, and they glowed green (not Alpine) good luck!

Pioneer has a 6-disc changer called the CDX-PD6... it's is HARD TO FIND these days, but they seem to sell them HERE (http://nexxon.com/premier/cdchangers.htm). I don't know if I'd pay $350 for it, though.