PDA

View Full Version : Get this......so I went to have tires put on....

XCross69
05/09/2003, 07:31 PM
So I went and had tires put on my VX today...got to the place the owner of the place was a really nice guy then his help walked up. I pointed where I was parked and the guy went to get my VX. In no time at all he had done set the alarm off...how hard is it to figure out a four buttom remote w/ pictures????? Anyway, they get the car inside, lift it up and another helper walks up and asked the other guy what kind of car it is, "Its an Isuzu Ironman" he said...the talking continues then they start diss-n my VX!!!! They didn't know I could hear them I guess, but they were say-n how F-N ugly it was and how they had never seen one, and how everyone has to be different and how the personalized plates fit it perfect. I don't have to tell you the minute they saw me stand-n in the door they stop-T talk-n!!! I paid my bill, walked by all of them with a big-O smile and said THANKS ALOT!!!!! Yet another great experience I have had with my VX...I know not everyone likes em, but they sure strike up conversation!!

Oh yeah, for a couple of people that thought it was so ugly, they sure were check-n it out.....all the way down to the shocks!!

I must say, they aren't very polite to their customers but they sure made my day!!!;Do;

kpaske
05/10/2003, 03:24 AM
Yeah, I bought my '99 ebony VX almost as soon as they came out and I've seen all sorts of reactions too. It's one of those vehicles with such a unique look that you either love it or you hate it. I've most often heard mine compared to various animals - bobcat and gorilla being my favorites. ;Db;

coachreed
05/10/2003, 08:18 AM
Yep, I have had some of the same... I guess we all have. Usually its just someone saying, "what is that" or something like that. It definitely draws attention.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Tonka
05/10/2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by kpaske
I've most often heard mine compared to various animals - bobcat and gorilla being my favorites. ;Db;

I over heard a guy who said it looked like a snake and how he wanted to buy one and paint scales on it. That would be a little too extreme for me!

SPAZZ
05/10/2003, 12:12 PM
Try lifting yours and putting on 32" Spr Swmprs;eekp; Then see just how many stares and how much attention you get. I haven't had this many people googling over my V since I bought it!!!;Dp;

StormTROOPER
05/10/2003, 12:44 PM
At least they didn't call it "cute" (dems fightin words!);)

kpaske
05/11/2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Tonka
I over heard a guy who said it looked like a snake and how he wanted to buy one and paint scales on it. That would be a little too extreme for me!

Yeah, that is a bit extreme, although it would make for an awesome show car! ;pg;

Andrey
05/11/2003, 11:35 AM
I have no idea why people can not keep their mouth shut ??? I mean I do not appreciate when people (or greese monkeys at the shop) are making extremely VALUABLE negative comments about my Ironman.
You like it - fine, do do not like it - fine ! Just keep your VISIONS to yourself as I am not interested in them.

TDAWG
05/11/2003, 12:02 PM
I see it like this. If some one makes a bad comment about my and all other VX's out there I just ask them if they drive an every day every body owns Explorer or something like that. If you really sit down and think about it we are like the marines. THE FEW, THE PROUD, The VX OWNERS!!!!! Tell them that next time some one make a dumb comment.

BOARZHEAD
05/11/2003, 02:00 PM
I wish I had a pic of everyone that looks at mine too. Some look like they are dumbfounded, some smiling and some confused. Since it was lifted 6" I get so many people talking to me and rolling done windows to talk. Can't wait till I get my tires under it. My wife loves it but she don't like driving it much due to too many people looking. Says to much attention for her..:D

XCross69
05/11/2003, 05:14 PM
Yeah, when I heard them make-n all these comments I really just wanted to say, "you shouldn't diss something you obviously can't afford!" But I took the high road and just kept my trap shut!!

Anita
05/11/2003, 05:35 PM
I bet you anything that those same people who thought the VX was ugly at first glance, will by the next VX sighting think it is a pretty cool looking car.

The VX manages to sway many people like an acquired taste.

As long as they are talking about my VX... good or bad....they are talking.... ;Dr;

WormGod
05/12/2003, 07:29 AM
I was wait-N to see how many times one could use really annoy-N teX-T the way ya did. ;)

I had a guy (with his family) pull up next to me in his Jetta at a light yesterday. With the nice day, the windows were down, and through my girl's window, he hollars out, "Hey, what kind of car is that?" I look over and respond "It's an Isuzu VehiCross." He takes another gander over it from his car and says "I was following you for about 2 miles and didnt see any logos or anything. Does it even have any?" I said "Ya, but I debadged it long ago." He says "Hmmm, why would you do that? Then nobody knows what it is and we have to ask you." I laughed and said "That's the whole point. I like to keep 'em guessing." He raises his eyebrow in a Spock manner and nods his head "Yep, I can see where that might be fun. Well, nice car ya got there. You take it easy now".

The of course, my girl looks over at me as he pulls away and says "You're such a dork. You act like you have something nobody else does." I laughed and said "It's not an act. It's the plain truth." ;)

AlaskaVX
05/12/2003, 03:03 PM
I just put a large NASA sticker accross the back door (where the ISUZU sticker used to be) and I am putting one where the ISUZU logo up front would be too. I'm getting even more looks now... As if I didn't get enough how it is. Lots'o'fun :D

Oh hey BOARZHEAD I found out where the guy in Kenai who owns a VX lives. It's actually right next to my property. I guess he has already put some Super Swampers on there. His buddy flashed me down thinking it was him, he gave me a really strange look when I rolled down the window and said "Woo! there's another one?!" Next time I'm in Kenai I'll try to get him to come join the VX cult I mean forums. ;) Theres hope for a VX meet in Alaska afterall

EDIT: I wanted to add a story, I was in Subway eating lunch and there were these 2 kids about 19-20 talking about my car saying how ugly it was and how it is probobally one of those hybrid cars. I just smiled since they didn't have a clue. Anyways, I took my time and when they finished their meal they got in their Ford Exploder and I followed them out. As soon as they pulled out I stomped on the gas and just flew by them engine blaring. Curious what they said after that. hehehe

Navigator
05/12/2003, 03:59 PM
For some reason I totally stoped getting negative comments after I removed all of my ISUZU badges. All I get is curious people without predudice who are interested in the vehicle. You'd be surprised at how much a diference a little debadging will make to the quality of the comments on your VX :D

Jealousy makes people say the darndest things :p

paultvx
05/12/2003, 04:12 PM
I don't know... I'm not going to spend time debadging just so I can get more positive comments. If they don't like my VX, they can kiss my my A**.

BOARZHEAD
05/12/2003, 05:43 PM
Sounds good Alan. Hope all of us up in Ak can get together all what 4? hehe

WyrreJ
05/12/2003, 05:44 PM
I had my first funny experience with this today (so far, had a couple of people ask me what kind of car it was, but that's it).

I've reversed the ISUZU badge on the front grill so it says NZNSI (say it in-zn-zee) and I painted my fangs with the color-changing paint purple-to-green (my VX is black so it is fairly subtle). So, I'm waiting to pull out from a parking lot onto main street and there is a light a few car lengths down the road. There is a bunch of cars waiting for the light to turn green and I am waiting for the light to turn green and for them to roll forward so I can get out on the road. Except the last guy in the line is stopped right in front of me and won't go forward even though everybody else has left and gone through the light already. He's in a lightly-modified subie with custom rims (maybe titanium, definitely the right color for it), probably a WRX, but I can't tell from that angle I just saw the hood scoop. It is bright yellow and he's busy staring at my NZNSI badge and fangs instead of paying attention to traffic. Had to flash my lights right in his face to get him to move along. Cracked me up.

BOARZHEAD
05/12/2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by WyrreJ
I had my first funny experience with this today (so far, had a couple of people ask me what kind of car it was, but that's it).

I've reversed the ISUZU badge on the front grill so it says NZNSI (say it in-zn-zee) and I painted my fangs with the color-changing paint purple-to-green (my VX is black so it is fairly subtle). So, I'm waiting to pull out from a parking lot onto main street and there is a light a few car lengths down the road. There is a bunch of cars waiting for the light to turn green and I am waiting for the light to turn green and for them to roll forward so I can get out on the road. Except the last guy in the line is stopped right in front of me and won't go forward even though everybody else has left and gone through the light already. He's in a lightly-modified subie with custom rims (maybe titanium, definitely the right color for it), probably a WRX, but I can't tell from that angle I just saw the hood scoop. It is bright yellow and he's busy staring at my NZNSI badge and fangs instead of paying attention to traffic. Had to flash my lights right in his face to get him to move along. Cracked me up.
Living in NH huh? That's where I'm from. Moved to Alaska 3 years ago. Grew up in Manchester my whole life. We go back every year to see family. Hope some day to meet some of you Live Free or Die VX's

WyrreJ
05/12/2003, 09:58 PM
Funny thing, my brother is in Barrow (I think, never paid too much attention to the geography up there). Was a pilot for one of the local operations until last week.

BOARZHEAD
05/12/2003, 11:11 PM
Barrow is like driving from N.H. to Florida, but on a dirt road from New Jersey to Florida. Maybe this summer we can meet some of the N.H. VX'ers

Wayne
05/13/2003, 10:06 AM
I recently had to endure a young couple arguing over my VX. The guy didn't really know what it was, but the woman was absolutely convinced that it was - gulp - an AZTEK. Ugh...it wasn't worth my time explaining things. C'mon an Aztek? Please. How do you even begin to make that mistake? The poor guy didn't put up much of a fight about it, just shook his head as his girlfriend yelled at him...ah, the few, the proud, the Vx'ers.

paultvx
05/13/2003, 01:59 PM
Some people are just challenged when it comes to visual recognition.

When I had a modified 98 VW GTI a couple fought over it the same way. The woman insisted that it was a Volvo. Know of any 2 door hatchback Volvos in bright yellow paint? With the exception of the P1800 sportwagon, I don't think Volvo has made a production two door hatchback in its entire history.

On a positive note... when I went to America's Tire Co. a couple weeks ago the VX created quite a stir. There was a guy with is kid there and the guy was acting more like a kid than the kid was. He walked around the VX several times checking it out. The first thing the salesman said, without asking what it is, was "it looks like it can go anywhere." That being the long time Jeep slogan... I think it's quite a compliment.

Spike
05/13/2003, 04:11 PM
I guess great minds really do think alike.

I have been tinkering with pagemaker and a NASA font I found on the internet since I bought my VX last month. ... But I am reluctant to debadge my VX

I also thought about a smoked gold foil window tint instead of limousine black.. I really havent decided yet.

However, I DO feel like peeling off the IronMan off of the hood... but only if I can get a replacement. The local dealership told me they can only get it for me with a new hood insert attached to it.

I'd love to see some pics of these humorous mods...

AlaskaVX
05/13/2003, 04:58 PM
I'll get pics this weekend when I go mobb'n and if anyone else wants some custom vinyl stickers made, my brother can design them. Of course it might be a little spendy since I live up here in AK, but I'm sure you guys probobally have a bunch of shops down there that will do it.

Spike, about the debadging I would totally do it! That is if you don't mind more of the "What is that?!" question. I just took all the Isuzu stuff off (including new rims). The back however looks pretty ugly without the logo, that's where the NASA sticker comes into play. My brother matched the NASA font pretty damn good. I personally like the Vehicross logo's on the sides and hood though. My brother could make you a new IRONMAN logo if you wanted to take it off.

About the tint, a really dark black tint looks absolutely awesome on a white VX, probobally one of my best mods next to my tires and rims. The darker the better so you can scope out people looking at your car without them seeing you staring back and smiling. :) Take a look at my gallery and check out my 1st VX pic it shows the window tint and wheels, can't really see the Mickey Thompon tires well though.

WyrreJ, I feel sorry for your brother, Barrow is a tiny town that is very cold. What is he doing there of all places?

Boarzhead, yes we have a whopping 4 VX's that can get together but thats enough :) unless some of you lower 48ers are willing to make a drive... hehehe

EDIT: and about me stealing your idea... no I stole someone elses ;)

Spike
05/13/2003, 08:03 PM
So get this, during my morning commute in my IronMan ...
... this very pretty woman pulls up next to me in her bright yellow H2. Tied to the center of her brush bar grill was a flattened, yellow, stuffed duck. I couldnt stop laughing.
She giggled back, and unfortunately made a right turn at the next light. If I wasnt runnign late, I seriously considered turning to go after her.

It's good to see all these fun people with unique vehicles with such a great sense of humor.

AlaskaVX, Yes, on the back panel is where I considered putting NASA, as well as smaller ones on the B pillers just below the VehiCross logo ... and a 4x6 american flag above the logo.

As for having a spare decal made up for the IronMan. I would want it to be identical in dimension to the factory. This way I can return it to stock if I ever desire to for long term value purposes.
Same thing goes for the silver letters on the back.

When they made the 1980 Corvette Pace car, I believe it came with a spare set of decals for just the same reason.

Actually I might settle on an Area 51 front license plate that I bought when I was in Nevada a few years ago.

Panther_Black_VX
05/14/2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Navigator
Jealousy makes people say the darndest things :p

Ain't it the truth!!

AlaskaVX
05/14/2003, 11:56 AM
Spike he can take measurements from mine and make it as close to exact as he can get it, but by law I don't think he can make it EXACT, but so close there is no way to tell. I'm sure he could do it exact (just don't tell anyone) ;)