PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Deckplate mod (Black Vinyl)

wekilled
03/09/2007, 04:56 AM
Kpaske/PHOGR4 (and other Pac NW VXers):

Email me at douglas.wekell@us.army.mil with your email. I have a point of contact at Pacific Mat in Tukwila (Gary).

The diamondplate comes in black and gray in 36" and 48" widths.

Normally they do not sell sections of the black which comes in 36" and 48" widths. They only sell full rolls.

Gary at Pacific Mat said he would sell me a section of it anyway in wholesale. He would be more apt to if we all wanted to do our interiors in the black. (the gray is a light gray) I measured before I left for Iraq and I want to do the entire carpeted area and also the backside of the back seat so it doesnt get so beat up (plus it has that cool industrial look)

I figured about 20LF in the 48" width as what I did in my last vehicle was do each side separately, then the center hump (took the seats out) that would leave enough for a little extra. (maybe someone could remeasure as I did beer math from Iraq to figure the amount I would require.

If this is something we all want to do I can work with Gary and all of us to do a bulk order and chip in. I will have to figure what it will cost and maybe Kpaske, if you stil are around Lewis you could pick up a check for my amount from my wife. The stuff cuts easily (with trauma shears) and looks professional when done (soory no pix from the lat one -sold the vehicle)

Anyway Pacific Mat will give you samples if you are in the area to see if it will work for you-Either way I know I am doing it when I get back from Iraq.

Email me let me know what you think or carry on in this thread.

PHO2GR4
03/09/2007, 10:38 AM
Doug: first of all, I want to tell you just how much respect I have for what you are doing for us all over there. I don't think the average civilian even has a clue about what you must be experiencing! Anyway, a huge "Thank you" from one American to another. I hope you are safely home SOON.

Back on topic: I'd definitely prefer black matting over the light gray, so we're on the same page there.

I'd like a piece that will fit the ENTIRE rear flooring of the cabin. By that, I mean everything behind the front seats. I'll be removing the rear seats, which will SORT of 'flatten' the cabin...but it'll still have some weird bumps. If they trim the matting a TINY bit too big, it shold fit underneath the side panels and edges just enough to look 'stock'.

If they are doing the trimming...and I REALLY hope they can...I can get the VX down there and leave it with them for as long as it takes.

I don't need anything for the front floor. Just the rear cabin. I think that the black diamond-plate will finish out my Ebony very nicely.

JoFotoz
03/09/2007, 04:45 PM
http://www.yourautotrim.com/bldiplto.html.

Sold by the yard....and its 78 inches wide.

So...36 x 78 = One Yard....cost is $17:95

72 x 78 = Two Yards.........etc..etc!!

jo

kpaske
03/09/2007, 11:04 PM
I'm thinking I want to do the entire floor, in black. You've done this before Doug, so you probably have the best idea of how to cut the pieces to get them to lay flat. Is 48" wide enough?

It sounds like we are looking at about 55-60 feet so far. How big is the entire roll, and did he quote you a price?

wekilled
03/10/2007, 12:14 PM
I checked out the website for the other product and it appears to be more of an upholstery product versus the stuff at Pacific Mat in Tukwila.

I do want to get a sample of that stuff too though because I had been thinking of how to tie the diamond pattern into the rest of the interior.
If the vinyl stretches at all around a double radius like most auto upholstery, then the plan would be to remove the door panels and rear panels and cover the orange portions of both types of panels with that. Then with the actual industrial matting product I will take the seats out and do the entire floor, center hump, flat area under the back seats, and finally the backside of the back seat (for protection).

Even if you decide not to do this I know I am doing it. It makes the vehicle easier to clean and would compliment the VX completely. I did it last in 76 Toyota Fastback which I tricked out to look like a mini-mad Max car. Very black on black.

I am going for a high-tech industrial look with CF, diamondplate, billet, etc. Anything industrial that will tie together overall and when complete look like it came that way, not added on. I also like the practicality of having matting in an SUV anyway.

As far as admin notes: Gary said he would check prices last week, and I m sure he isnt in the Army in Iraq so I will check next week when he is back. He said he is checking with the manufacturer for wholesale price. Once I get a price and I think he can get us enough for the three VXs if you decide the price is right. I am not sure how much comes in a roll either since I was just getting 20LF in the 48" width. I asked for that because the 36" will leave a seam in the back area of the VX and I want a professional look, ie under the lip of the panels-no seams. I dont think they will install it, but I could ask. I dont think I want to spend the cash to have someone else do it anyway since they really do commercial flooring, not automotive custom work. The stuff cuts with trauma shears or any large scissors anyway. I know I can get a good clean look in the install. IF we do the floor in two sections and the hump separately with a slight overlap it will look good. I am taking the seats out and center console to do it right.

Of course I will be doing this at least 6 months from now unfortunately since we are being extended for the Surge in Baghdad. So I will give you a price when Gary writes me and cc you both so you can contact him directly if you want to do your project before I get back. If we go in on it toghether I'd like to see (Kpaske if my wife can give you a check and pick up my portion if you still live around Lewis)

Anyway, first things first, let me get more info from Gary and I'll email you guys. (Kpaske I still have your email address I think). If you want to wait we can get toghether and do the project assembly-line style later. Im stuck here so go ahead if you want-you dont need to wait around for me to get back. Also if you are headed up 167 you could stop by Pacific Mat and pick up a sample of gray and black to see if it suits your project. See their website

http://www.pacmat.com/industrial/index.html

(No I dont own stock-I just couldnt find anyone else that stocks it)

JoFotoz
03/10/2007, 02:04 PM
The site I gave is for "Upholstery" style vinyl....not the "Mat" style from your guy.

The product I gave would be great for Door panels...headliners etc ....
.....and would enable you to match the trim to the matting ,as you state.

Good luck...cant wait to see pics.

Maybe ya could make some patterns when you do yours.....

...and 'share/rent' them to others looking to do the same?!!

atb..be safe

jo

PHO2GR4
03/10/2007, 03:06 PM
Doug...FYI...it's rainy and cold in Washington State today. What's the weather like in Baghdad? :(

Keep your head down and get home safe, soon.

Best regards,
Eric

wekilled
03/11/2007, 12:03 PM
Well, its been in the 70s last few days in Baghdad. Just came back from Camp Striker. I change jobs and get a second company command soon so I am gearing up for that. Should be 120 or so in a few months.

Anyway, back to the exciting world of diamondplate matting. I will do some patterns from what I do-as for me this is a done deal when get back. I am storing up like a dynamo and will be post-deployment hyperactive when I get back (last time I came back I gutted a house and essentially did a Monster House project up in Renton in 18 months while working full time in the Army). Really for the back it will be easy as I will take out the carpet and flip it over and add 2 inches on the sides to tuck under the panels for a finished look. The back seats (back sides will be a pattern, and I'll use epoxy or a hot glue gun to adhere that to the back of those. I currently have leftover pieces from the last car I did and used them to create little diamondplate inserts for the center console tray and the holder in the dash already. (no pix here with me in Baghdad) So that will tie in the dash.

Sorry-but the project is obviously on hold for me till I get back but I will share what I find out from Gary at Pacific Mat when he writes back.