PDA

View Full Version : Piaa H4

Andrey
05/09/2003, 10:57 AM
Hello,

I wanna install new H4 bulbs into headlights. Here are two options and I wanted some expert advice which one to get.

Twin Pack 15260

Bulb Type H4

Wattage 60/55w = 135/125w, 4150K

Technology Xtreme White with XTRA Technology

OR

H4 Super White Platinum #15680 by PIAA USA, #1 in automoitve lighting. These bulbs draw 80/80w and perform like 115/135w

Thanks for input

carlymac
05/09/2003, 11:20 AM
I prefer the extreme whites, the supers are a little blue-ish for my taste. Whatever you decide don't forget to change the fuses under the hood. Piaa's need a larger fuse.

Reg Hinnant
05/09/2003, 12:00 PM
Andrey, I have the PIAA 80/80s and I'm happy with them. I drive a lot at night for work and they made a big difference on the high beams. I have been running these for 2 years and have not had to add larger fuses.
I added IPF J01 lights on the brush bar and use the driving light on them to add to my high beams. (85 W)
BTW Had a rock break a lens on one of them and called the Midwestern sales manager trying to buy a lens or single lamp and was shipped a whole lamp.....at no cost! Good service, I would say!

Joe_Black
05/09/2003, 12:28 PM
I have the PIAA Super Plasma GTs and find they have a very white, low glare beam that is very close to HID. The high beams are exceptional as well.

Tone
05/09/2003, 12:48 PM
Go with a higher wattage bulb than the stock ones and you’ll be much happier - the claims of 60/55w = 135/125w is really stretching it. Be sure to increase your fuse size if you do go higher and read Grant’s How-To so you don’t break the clips that hold the bulbs in.

Zu4two
05/09/2003, 02:17 PM
I use to run the PIAA platinum super white 80/80s, but last time one of them burned out I couldn't find any replacements. I was told by several sources that the 80/80s were discontinued and PIAA was only selling 60/55W bulbs in the US. I switched to the 60/55W 4150K xtreme white bulbs (PN 15260).

The xtremes are bluer than the super whites and not quite as bright.

I highly endorse the PIAA lights and lamps, which ever ones you choose, been using them for over 12 years now. They're a little pricey, but well worth it!

Andrey
05/09/2003, 02:34 PM
I have 2100XT driving lights and their color temperature is 4150K (like xtreme white) now, I've never seen 80w/80w performance and they do not say what color temp are they. I saw some 80/80 on ebay and they are similarly priced to xtreme white.

Joe_Black
05/09/2003, 03:02 PM
Go here to PIAA (http://www.piaa.com/h4bulbs.html) for a detailed description of their bulbs complete with color temperatures. I'm leary of the bulbs from eBay since many are generics packaged in name-brand containers. I got my PIAA bulbs from AutoBarn (http://www.autobarn.com) for a fair price, plus they have free shipping on orders over a $100. So get a K&N filter too if you haven't already! LOL!

Andrey
05/11/2003, 08:36 AM
Thanks everybody - just ordered two sets of 80/80 PIAAs. Hope they will do fine with my 2100XT driving lights. I guess I will have to do minor adjustments to lights as I've put Toyo Proxes S/T and car is a bit lower now.

Zu4two
05/11/2003, 01:47 PM
Can I ask you where you found 80/80W PIAAs at?

Andrey
05/11/2003, 02:49 PM
a store on ebay had them. he assured me that they are "real".

Andrey
05/25/2003, 08:05 AM
got and installed 80/80 - one word "AWESOME"

Rickster
05/25/2003, 08:12 AM
I just installed the Sylvania Silver Star 9003ST's, and they are the brightest. I had the Xenon Hyper Brights before, and these are awsome.

Rickster
www.soundjamz.com

james1_10018
05/26/2003, 01:14 PM
Hey Rickester

Can you create Custom subwoofer boxes stealth ones for the VX. I believe there are a few of us who would like to buy one

JAFO
07/12/2003, 12:21 AM
I was at two auto part stores today. One had the little computer to tell you what type of head lights you needed and the other just the paper manual. But both said that a 2000 VX takes 9003 headlights. Is this correct?

Do H4 lights require adapters, or are they interchangable?

BTW anyone try the HID conversion kits yet? Are they worth the $340 (approx) price difference?

Heliolite HID Conversion kits available at:
www.prolightstar.com/hid/ (http://www.prolightstar.com/hid/) for $390.

Andrey
07/12/2003, 05:55 AM
VX takes H4 standart headlight buld. You do not need any adapters.
HID is really cool but when I was upgrading the price range that you found was not available . At $350+ I guess it is closer to reality. At $1.500+ I call it rediculous.

If you upgrade to HID make sure you can get a spare bulbs from them... price ?

Good luck !

paultvx
07/12/2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Tone
Go with a higher wattage bulb than the stock ones and you’ll be much happier - the claims of 60/55w = 135/125w is really stretching it. Be sure to increase your fuse size if you do go higher and read Grant’s How-To so you don’t break the clips that hold the bulbs in.

All bulbs and munufacturers that make such claims are exaggerating the truth. Platinum, superwhite, and xenon white bulbs (or any blue or white bulb for that matter) are scams. They do not put out better lighting than convential halogen bulbs. Light particles from the blue and white end of the spectrum actuall tend to scatter. This means less light bounced back and reflected to your eyes. They may look brighter, but you're actually seeing less.

HIDs work because even though the light output is in the same end of the spectrum they burn at a much higher intensity. Daniel Stern Lighting had a really nice long FAQ on this on their site. However, they appear to be going through a site redesign of some sort and the FAQ is not where it should be. Feel free to contact them and get the full story. http://lighting.mbz.org/

** EDIT **

My mistake. The articles have been moved here: http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/bulbs/blue/blue.html

...and here: http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/bulbs/superwhite/superwhite.html

Please do read these articles. You'll thank yourself.

paultvx
07/12/2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Andrey
VX takes H4 standart headlight buld. You do not need any adapters.
HID is really cool but when I was upgrading the price range that you found was not available . At $350+ I guess it is closer to reality. At $1.500+ I call it rediculous.

If you upgrade to HID make sure you can get a spare bulbs from them... price ?

Good luck !

HID spare bulbs typically range from $100 (single beam) a piece to $200 a piece (dual beam). Personally, I'd get the dual beam system because sometimes you just have to flash morons who shouldn't be on the road. But then again... there's always the horn. Cheaper to upgrade the embarassing stock horn with a louder aftermarket one than spend more for dual beam HIDs. Another place to shop for HID kits is www.groupbuycenter.com. But, beware, most of the vendors are really small (out of the garage type operations) and may not be legit.

Andrey
07/12/2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by paultvx
HID spare bulbs typically range from $100 (single beam) a piece to $200 a piece (dual beam). Personally, I'd get the dual beam system because sometimes you just have to flash morons who shouldn't be on the road. But then again... there's always the horn. Cheaper to upgrade the embarassing stock horn with a louder aftermarket one than spend more for dual beam HIDs. Another place to shop for HID kits is www.groupbuycenter.com. But, beware, most of the vendors are really small (out of the garage type operations) and may not be legit.

that's exactly what I've done - dual Italian air tubes (about $20 on sale in any parts store) :)

Helps to "wake up" some dorks..... :)

paultvx
07/12/2003, 12:29 PM
I've done it as well... Hella dual air horns. It still doesn't wake up some people. Too easy to get and keep a license in Oregon. A lady in a Suburban nearly had a head on with me because she was too busy chatting on the phone... crossed over the yellow line. She got the wake up call but continued on like nothing had happened. I guess she's done it before.

Definitly read the lighting FAQs I linked to in my other post before spending your money on bulbs. It pains me to see people spending extra for those Honda Boy blue light specials.

Moncha
07/13/2003, 07:44 PM
9003 is the new market number for the H4 designation.