PDA

View Full Version : If you've bought a vx from afar, plz help!

36chambers
03/05/2007, 07:55 PM
Hi All, I've followed the forums here for quite a while, and I've wanted a VX since their release, and finally... finally I can realistically get one. Anyway I'm looking for advice... (and wasn't sure where to put this thread!)

I'm sure quite a few of you have purchased VX's from out of state, and I'm looking at one pretty far away. I was just wondering if anyone could offer a quick breakdown of the out of state buying process, specifically the financing and such. (I was hoping to get a loan from my local credit union, as I don't quite have enough cash to buy it outright.) Any tips would be appreciated, and would probably help others!

thanks.
-Andrew (-_^)

rowhard
03/05/2007, 08:14 PM
Well, I live in Washington and bought one from a dealer in Virgina if that qualifies me. Since it was from a dealer, I just got the loan and they (the dealer) and my credit union swapped the paper work. I then arranged shipping and that was that. I took a gamble and bought it from 3 photo's, didn't know about the group then, other wise I would of had a member check it out for me. I did do a car fax and and it was a dealer certified car so I went for it if that helps. Just make sure you don't pay sales tax there and in N.C. Where is this VX located? Maybe a member can check it out for you.

Knigh7s
03/05/2007, 08:22 PM
I live in Vegas, and bought mine from Washington. Since it was from a dealer, the paper work was a breeze between the bank and the dealer.
I also had it shipped back to Vegas after I flew up there to check it out.
When It came down to registering her here in Vegas, I ended up having to pay sales tax+registration($1300+) because I wasn't charged sales tax in Washington.

PHO2GR4
03/05/2007, 08:53 PM
I found my VX on eBay. I live in Seattle and the VX was in Florida.

Pretty far away. Look at a map.

Anyway, the eBay auction was a bust because even though I was the high bidder, I didn't reach the reserve price. So the seller contacted me anyway and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Even WITH the transcontinental shipping it was a steal.

The problem is, I didn't fly to Florida to check it out in person. The seller talked it up so much...and the photos were SO good...that I was convinced it was in minty-fresh condition. Plus the Carfax report was spotless.

Needless to say, I was in for some disappointment when it was delivered. Long story short: a little rust, cracked intake manifold gasket, noisy AC fan, various squeaks, a few missing parts. Kinda stinky too.

All in all, for the price, the VX WAS a steal. I have had a great time fixing her up, and now she is an incredible ride. The seller probably wouldn't recognize it now; it looks so good! She cleaned up nicely, and most of the repairs were easy. The upgrades I have made are all perfect, and I couldn't be happier.

The important lesson learned is to CHECK IT OUT before buying. I would have benefited from investing money on a r/t plane ticket, for sure.

Another important lesson, though, is that the VX is a really fun automobile. Just do it.

PS: My financing was easy, because I paid in full with a cashier's check. 100% down, zero per month...I can handle those payments!

Joe_Black
03/05/2007, 09:17 PM
My first VX was purchased new from a dealer outside Chicago, the 2nd was an eBay purchase from a used car dealer in Houston and the 3rd was from a VX member in Shreveport. The first two were fly-n-drives and my local credit union basically handled everything once I got them in touch with the respective dealers. The 3rd was the sale of my first with the other as a partial trade, and I trailered mine up and brought the other back.

Your lending institution should be familiar with your states laws regarding out-of-state vehicle purchase and title transfer. Consult with them and your local DMV, they're there to provide with just that service and information.

Definitely take advantage of the community here to help put some experienced eyes on your prospective new ride, there's bound to be someone near the VX you're eyeing.

Much success on your new VX! ;)

36chambers
03/08/2007, 07:47 PM
Wow thanks for all the info guys, that's exactly what I was hoping for. =) Joe: ya I think thats what I'll be going for, a fly and drive, with my credit union involved.

Rowhard: thanks for the tip, the VX is a proton at a dealership in NW Indiana, zip 46304. Anyone closeby that could take a look?

Is there a stickied thread or anything for driveby requests? I wouldn't mind helping others if they were looking at a VX in my neck of the woods (NC). I moved from Florida recently, maybe I coulda given PHO2GR4 some warning on his VX if we had a sticky up! =)

thanks all!

-Andrew

tysamigo
03/08/2007, 08:03 PM
Andrew,

Wow, I live in Louisville Kentucky (not sure how far I am from this VX you are talking about) but I just flew to San Francisco and purchased one because I couldn't find a Proton close to me. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find it? I've alreayd purchased mine and it's on its way. If I'm not to far I wouldn't mind checking it out for you. I'll look into it. Do you know the city name?

JHarris1385
03/08/2007, 08:29 PM
I would check that out for you but that is at the tip of IN, near Michigan CITY. See if a Chicago or more northern VXer will chime in. Are you only looking for a Proton?

Oh and I bought mine in Waukesha, WI. Flew into Chicago, drove a rental to WI, drove the new VX and my girl drove the rental back to the Chicago airport. Met up and drove the VX all the way down to southern IN.

Francesco Rizzo
03/09/2007, 06:46 AM
I bought mine out of state and the bill of sale was enough to tittle it when I got it home, as in most cases the lender usually keeps the tittle anyway. What you can do is shop around for auto loans and car insurance, then go test drive the vehicle.. that's what I did. Bought out of Boston and lived in NY, 5 hour drive away. Anyway, after the drive and walk around, I had my loan company fax my papper work for finalization. I then called my insurance comapany and put it on my credit card, they also faxed over the info. As for the resgiration and plates, I used my plates off my 75 superbeetle and just took it easy driving home... I don't know if that's recommeded, but it worked in my case. Good luck with the buy

bobmumgaard
03/09/2007, 08:48 AM
I bought mine on ebay because it was a no reserve auction with bad pictures (so no bidding) I'm in Nebraska, it was in Houston. In hindsight it was risky, I carfaxed it and bid away. When I won I talked to the guy and he seemed very genuine. I just got a cashier's check from the bank and took it with me.

Took a three day train ride down to Houston, and hung out in KC, St Louis and Little Rock. Met the seller at the trainstation (he was two hours late, scarriest moment in recent memory) and drove it back the next 4 days spending time in Houston, Dallas and Ok city. It was a great trip.

If I had to do it over again I would either fly down to check it out, have a VXer check it out/and a dealer check it out. I got lucky but I know many others who have been burned by ebay/autotrader sight unseen car purchases.

Y33TREKker
03/09/2007, 10:45 AM
I live in southern IL and bought mine from a VXinfo member (at the time) in Baltimore. Our phone convos and the photos he sent gave me a good feeling about the deal, so I went ahead with it. I flew to Baltimore and drove back. The seller picked me up at the airport and even bought me lunch while I was there.

It just so happened that my sister handles vehicle loans, titles, licensing and such at the bank where she works, so the seller just faxed all the pertinent info and she took care of getting the appopriate paperwork ready for me.

It never hurts to have a pair of local eyes look over a vehicle for you, and I'm sure if anyone here lives close enough, they'd be happy to help. I've provided a couple of in-person inspection opinions myself, because unfortunately, I know how dissappointing it can be to arrive expecting one thing, only to discover that personal opinions on overall condition of an item can vary a great deal.