PDA

View Full Version : "Opening up a Little" or, show a little

dkmiller68
03/05/2007, 05:49 AM
Feel free to post a comment about something significant in your non VX life (if you have one).

Me, I was struck by lightning once (that explains it!).

Bimati
03/05/2007, 07:48 AM
I once placed 17th in world drumming competition. It's just difficult to tell I'm a rocker because I'm bald. :p

Oooooooooooooooooooohhhh.....17th. Goodness that was a long time ago.

dkmiller68
03/05/2007, 08:17 AM
Question...When you're bald, what hair color do they place on your drivers license?

Bimati
03/05/2007, 08:21 AM
Question...When you're bald, what hair color do they place on your drivers license?

"Clear" :p

Joe_Black
03/05/2007, 08:26 AM
I've had 23 concussions. Or is it 21? Either way, got a hard noggin. :p

biju
03/05/2007, 08:35 AM
My middle name is 'Big Bear' (translation from Sioux). My parents were hip hippy hipsters back in the day... and my padre, an indigenous person)

Also - Dean Jones, the original Herbie the Love Bug driver/actor is a relative on my mother's side.

-biju.

nfpgasmask
03/05/2007, 09:09 AM
I was on TV once...for like 6.5 minutes...

:) Bart

JHarris1385
03/05/2007, 09:35 AM
I was in a movie (low budget), in the shadows of my younger brother (The star), "DANGER BOY"

I know there is more, give me more time to think of some.

zilik
03/05/2007, 10:44 AM
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N99PZ.html

Actually I have now built 4 airplanes, but who's counting.

Z

ZEUS
03/05/2007, 11:04 AM
"My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy - the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really." :bwgy:

CoastieCosta567
03/05/2007, 11:23 AM
I have never broken or cracked a bone in my whole body, in my 23 years of live in this world. And if u met me I'm one of those freaks that love Danger and pain, and still never even had a stitch other then a surgery i had when i was a baby.

creeg
03/05/2007, 11:55 AM
"My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy - the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really." :bwgy:

Ha! Nice one.

Bimati
03/05/2007, 11:55 AM
I have never broken or cracked a bone in my whole body, in my 23 years of live in this world. And if u met me I'm one of those freaks that love Danger and pain, and still never even had a stitch other then a surgery i had when i was a baby.

Good on ya, mate. I usually require stitches when I get out of bed in the morning........

vxDAKINECHICvx
03/05/2007, 11:57 AM
I only date guys older than 40. :p

ZEUS
03/05/2007, 12:14 PM
"I only date guys older than 40." Damn - 9 years to go!

OK, real world... In 4th grade I was hit by a car doing 60 mph after I stepped off the school bus. I saw the bus driver and a good friend in the front seat as I lifted into the air - I remember in slow motion, their facial expressions and drawn out mumbles. I saw the top of the school bus before I blacked out. When I came to, my sister was dragging me out of the street as another car passed by the school bus and it's flashing red lights. My left shoe was thrown 100' away into a field and my pelvis and left leg were broken. Some bruising on my innards caused for fewer bathroom visits for awhile. I had a fever up to "drain bamaging" temps of 106 for a week. It completely altered my path in life - I think anyway, I'll never know I guess. Wait, what was I going to say... oh yeah, later we realized the childhood trauma may have caused ADD, ADHD, or AADHD :rolleyes: but the doctors wouldn't give me any meds out of fear I would make meth with them...?? Yeah, like meth would help! Whatever...

tomdietrying
03/05/2007, 12:14 PM
I have a relative that was in the Alamo. He would be my great, great, great grandfather on my father's side. He was a small boy when all the fighting took place.
Peace.
Tom

Joe_Black
03/05/2007, 12:39 PM
Zeus, you're thinkin' my waves! :p RE: vxDakineChicvx that my wife would be relieved as I visit 40 this year, so am out of the running there. Plus I'm still working on the "Grizzled old Sea Dog" look. LOL!

I too was hit in by a car doing high speed after school, but in my case it was on my bike riding home and swerved into street to avoid obstacle. BAM! (Followed shortly thereafter by "Thud!") Cops responded and didn't call ambulance as I was lucid enough to worry about getting home in time to catch Star Trek. Don't remember much after that except waking up in hospital a day or so later. ;) I eventually got my revenge by t-boning a Fiero (totalling it) with a GPz550 and arcing high enough over that I didn't slide upon reconnecting with the planet 60 feet on the other side of the car. I'd give good money for a video of that!

JHarris1385
03/05/2007, 12:57 PM
I have snapped my left humorous completely off (snowboarding accident.) Had to have a 7 inch titanium rod in it for over a year complete with 5 screws, and a morphine pump for 3months.

Not including the above more than a couple hundered random stiches.

ZEUS
03/05/2007, 01:06 PM
Zeus, you're thinkin' my waves! :p RE: vxDakineChicvx that my wife would be relieved as I visit 40 this year, so am out of the running there. Plus I'm still working on the "Grizzled old Sea Dog" look. LOL!

I too was hit in by a car doing high speed after school, but in my case it was on my bike riding home and swerved into street to avoid obstacle. BAM! (Followed shortly thereafter by "Thud!") Cops responded and didn't call ambulance as I was lucid enough to worry about getting home in time to catch Star Trek. Don't remember much after that except waking up in hospital a day or so later. ;) I eventually got my revenge by t-boning a Fiero (totalling it) with a GPz550 and arcing high enough over that I didn't slide upon reconnecting with the planet 60 feet on the other side of the car. I'd give good money for a video of that!

So I think you explained 2 of your concussions then! Did you pose yourself like Superman when you were flying? I would love to see that! Out of curiousity, do you recall what episode of Star Trek was worth that incident? Tell me it was the Tribbles... Gotta love the Tribbles!

Mark B
03/05/2007, 01:09 PM
In the early 1970's I was Swimming for the University of Missouri. I got to swim in the same pool and race against Mark Spitz in a swimming meet. For those of you who don't know Mark Spits. In 1972 he set 7 world records and won 7 olympic gold medals in swimming at the Munich Olympics.
I tried out for the olympic team but did not make it.

etlsport
03/05/2007, 01:10 PM
some of you already know this, i got my licence in 2002.. and have been in 4 accidents that resulted in my car (or the car i was in..) being totaled..

during my DRIVERS ED course i pulled off the road to let my instuctor write some things down and make a phone call, as i was parked on the side of the road a drunk driver in an explorer hit the back of my car at approx 40 and drove ontop of it, coming to rest with his front tires in my trunk and front grille pushed up against the backs of the front seats.. got out no problem didnt even draw blood

girl i was dating (and oddly enough, am now dating again..) rear ended a saturn with her 84 honda pos with enough force to knock the hood clean off her car (hood opened from windshield) walked away without a scratch

woman in a ford explorer identical to the one that hit my drivers ed car ran a redlight and T boned my subaru outback directly on the drivers door.. which then knocked me off the road into the light post.. (at 35-40mph)

greyhound bus changed lanes without looking on the I95 south and clipped the front end of my civic at 80mph which caused me to get sideways and then flip, i blacked out in mid air but my gf who was with me said the car landed upside down on the guard rail, bounced off, rolled again and skidded to a stop on the hood in the northbound lanes.. where apparently got out of the car under my own power, walked into the median and layed down... i woke up in the medivac a lil bit later with my head split from my hairline all the way back and a host of other things.. 5 days later i was able to stand for about 10 minutes on my own so they let me out of the hospital and a week after that i was back to work

oh yea, my gf with me in the civic.. not a scratch on her

Bulldoggie
03/05/2007, 02:53 PM

I'm over 40! Wooo Hoooo
XOXOXO!!!!
My "baggage" includes two young girls.
I do believe in guardian Angels, I've lived through too many life and death events not to.
Details of events, may take several pages just to cover the high points.
Getting my shoulder rebuilt this thursday, always something....

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/tug_champion.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/tug_champion.jpg)
I'm in the wheelhouse, one of my past lives

CrnCnn
03/05/2007, 03:07 PM
Well,

In addition to being an incredilble couch potato. I am quite boring. Feel sorry for my wife sometimes.

rowhard
03/05/2007, 03:21 PM
CrnCnn, isn't it nice to be boring after reading these other guy's write-ups

PHO2GR4
03/05/2007, 03:34 PM
Oh, behave!

CrnCnn
03/05/2007, 04:00 PM
CrnCnn, isn't it nice to be boring after reading these other guy's write-ups

Yeah, seems less painfull

JHarris1385
03/05/2007, 04:26 PM
I am related to both Harrison presidents. And General George Patton is my Great grandfather.

Cobrajet
03/05/2007, 04:33 PM
I once kicked a gooney bird on Midway Island. Maybe more than once. It was "against the law" in those days (~1975). They can really be annoying!

I could have written that I totalled my Honda Nighthawk on I-66 when I hit a truck muffler in morning rush hour traffic. Or that I totalled my first '70 Torino Cobra when the throttle stuck and then the tranny went into reverse instead of nuetral, resulting in a 180 degrees spin, hitting a tree going backwards at about 60 mph. I walked away from both.

Almost forgot... I've climbed to the summit of Mt. Fuji in Japan.

SkidPlate
03/05/2007, 08:30 PM
I'm Naked. :bgwg:

JGeorge264
03/05/2007, 08:39 PM
<note to self> never ride in a vehicle with Etlsport...

I never date guys under 40 either,, then again probably cuzz I'm over 40 :-)

I've been thru 2 volcanos,, Mt. St. Helens in Wa. state and Mt. Pinatubo in the Philippines. Lived on the military base in Subic Bay, was evacuated out of the 2' and more ash and devastation by ship to Cebu Philippines, then to Guam, then Hawaii to San Fran then home state of Wa. Was a miserable 8 days of travel with two small kids. We were sent back to Subic Bay a month later. Nothing like tons of ash in 104 degree weather..... ahhh those were the days.

Joe_Black
03/05/2007, 09:25 PM
So I think you explained 2 of your concussions then! Did you pose yourself like Superman when you were flying? I would love to see that! Out of curiousity, do you recall what episode of Star Trek was worth that incident? Tell me it was the Tribbles... Gotta love the Tribbles!
LOL, definitely not Superman! As I went over the Fiero my knees hit with such force it knocked my Gaerne boots clean off and set me spinning, but I did land flat on my back. Next thing I remember some guy was opening my helmet visor and asking if I was okay. My bike was stuck in the side of the Fiero, still running as I hit neutral down-shifting as I hit the car.

The bicycle/car/Star Trek scene: Don't know which episode, never got to see it! :mad: Tribbles woulda been okay, but I'm more of a "Balance of Terror" fan. Especially if "The Enemy Below" is on the same day! ;)

WormGod
03/06/2007, 08:09 AM
Hmmm, where to start....

At 17, I was arrested under suspicion of "kidnapping". I apparently went to a party and left with some girl that I have never met. She disappeared for a few weeks and I was questioned multiple times afterwards. Someone at the party said I was there and left with her, even though I was actually at home with my parents that night (parents make poor witnesses when you are in trouble, even if you actually were home with them). I was finally arrested since apparently the only proof you need is some other 17 year old girl saying she saw you do something that you didnt. 2 days later, the girl turned up (she had lied to her parents and went to Florida with friends). After I was released, the runaway and the lying witness (some girl whom I apparently went to school with but never actually knew) were both brought to my home by police to apologise.

At 19, I was sued by an elderly man for giving him CPR (I was trained, but not certified) and "saving his life". One day on a lunch break when I was a fire sprinkler tech, I saw an old guy collapse on a tennis court so I ran over to help. This cat was DEAD. Within a minute, I brought him back. I managed to crack one of his ribs in the process, but a small price to pay for staying alive. I ended up paying his medical (dont you love this system?!). The EMTs that arrived on the scene that day said I did everything right and were witnesses for me in litigation. They stated "old people are frail and tend to "snap", haha.

At 22, and friend and I were arrested on charges of "attempted murder". We were jumped at a party and defended ourselves.... quite well I must say (we were both boxers for many years.... these poor rich suburban punks had no idea). My friend managed to break a bottle over someone's head during the brawl and it cut the guy pretty good on the side of his neck. We were arrested later that night because apparentl someone told the police that we had gone to that party with the intent on killing that guy (we actually know 3 people at that party and only went because one of them was a girl that invited me). After dragging this out for months and months of no witness reports matching, the apparent murder target being in and out of jail with a rap sheet 18 miles long and a track record of lying and violence, and simply no damned proof of anything, charges slowly went from attempted murder down to assault with intent to maim, down to reckless endangerment. Settled with 6 months PBJ and 80 hours community service. When it all went to court, the "victim" could not appear because he was currently in jail for assaulting someone in a Chilis restaraunt, heh.

Damn, I could go on and on....

ZEUS
03/06/2007, 08:12 AM
<note to self> never ride in a vehicle with Etlsport...

HAHA! etlsport, that is at least the 2nd time someone has made that "note to self" after you explained your 'skills' in surviving accidents.

etlsport
03/06/2007, 08:15 AM
yeah.. i am one lucky sob when it comes to surviving.. i just wish people would stop hitting me!! im in big big trouble if someone hits my vx cause im gonna lose it.. someone already hit my front bumper in a parking lot, luckily all they did was break the front license plate holder i had on there

Techy-D
03/06/2007, 08:42 AM
I've lead a pretty tame life, I guess... I've been in some fairly rough spots but everything worked out. Been to Russia twice (for a total of about 6 weeks - For a short time when It was mostly O.K. to tell about God in their Schools!!!) - Got followed by KGB folks... , and Mexico 5 or 6 times (a week at a time, building houses for poor families with approx 50 highschoolers on big convoys down and back). I've made several 2hour videos of our trips to build houses. A few years ago I had death threats made on me & several friends, by some freak woman and found the cops caused ME way more hassles than I could ever have imagined for over a year (Never believe the cops and courts are there to help YOU). Oh, and long ago we took my friend out for his bachelor party. It was about 1:00am and we stopped to get gas, there were 4 of us from 4 different states and totally behaving ourselves. About 10 minutes after leaving the station we got pulled over by 4 cop cars that cut us off at all for corners of the car and forced us off to the side of the road. With Guns out and lots of spotlights and such... Dragged my buddy out of the car and were searching him... Eventually the cop at my window asked us what we did. I told him "you're the one that pulled us over, I dunnow???" She said said "I'll go find out", so when she returned she said we had just robbed the gas station! We send our buddy in with a $20 to buy $10 worth of gas and he returned with $10. I think the attendant pocked the money and called it in. They made us pay again and said they hoped we learned our lesson!!!! What was that all about? Anyway That's a party to remember!!!!
Ha, even a boring guy can have a little excitement! :)

nfpgasmask
03/06/2007, 08:45 AM
And once again, you have proven that you have a perpetual dark rain cloud above your head, and I thought it was just bad luck with cars!!! Man, you must have wronged whatever god you believe in something fierce in a past life or something, jeez!

:) Bart

Hmmm, where to start....

At 17, I was arrested under suspicion of "kidnapping". I apparently went to a party and left with some girl that I have never met. She disappeared for a few weeks and I was questioned multiple times afterwards. Someone at the party said I was there and left with her, even though I was actually at home with my parents that night (parents make poor witnesses when you are in trouble, even if you actually were home with them). I was finally arrested since apparently the only proof you need is some other 17 year old girl saying she saw you do something that you didnt. 2 days later, the girl turned up (she had lied to her parents and went to Florida with friends). After I was released, the runaway and the lying witness (some girl whom I apparently went to school with but never actually knew) were both brought to my home by police to apologise.

At 19, I was sued by an elderly man for giving him CPR (I was trained, but not certified) and "saving his life". One day on a lunch break when I was a fire sprinkler tech, I saw an old guy collapse on a tennis court so I ran over to help. This cat was DEAD. Within a minute, I brought him back. I managed to crack one of his ribs in the process, but a small price to pay for staying alive. I ended up paying his medical (dont you love this system?!). The EMTs that arrived on the scene that day said I did everything right and were witnesses for me in litigation. They stated "old people are frail and tend to "snap", haha.

At 22, and friend and I were arrested on charges of "attempted murder". We were jumped at a party and defended ourselves.... quite well I must say (we were both boxers for many years.... these poor rich suburban punks had no idea). My friend managed to break a bottle over someone's head during the brawl and it cut the guy pretty good on the side of his neck. We were arrested later that night because apparentl someone told the police that we had gone to that party with the intent on killing that guy (we actually know 3 people at that party and only went because one of them was a girl that invited me). After dragging this out for months and months of no witness reports matching, the apparent murder target being in and out of jail with a rap sheet 18 miles long and a track record of lying and violence, and simply no damned proof of anything, charges slowly went from attempted murder down to assault with intent to maim, down to reckless endangerment. Settled with 6 months PBJ and 80 hours community service. When it all went to court, the "victim" could not appear because he was currently in jail for assaulting someone in a Chilis restaraunt, heh.

Damn, I could go on and on....

etlsport
03/06/2007, 08:50 AM
dang wormgod..i got picked up for assault late last year when i got jumped and defended myself a little too well and was released/had the charges dropped within hours and i thought that was bad!

nfpgasmask
03/06/2007, 08:54 AM
Something like that happened to me once in college. I was driving my old white 79 Chevy Malibu with a bunch of friends in the car. I was Ybor City in Tampa and was just about to get on the highway and head back to campus, when a cop pulled me over into an empty parking lot. It was like a movie, within seconds my vehicle was completely surrounded by about 6-7 squad cars, all of them with weapons drawn, screaming to "lemmi see some hands". Us kids all about shat our pants as we pasted our hands to the ceiling of the car. With a pistol in my face a cop came up to the window and I slowly gave him my ID. He handed it off to another cop as we sat there, terrified. A few minutes later, the cop came back and handed me my ID. He said, "sorry, you're the wrong guy". And just as fast as they surrounded us, they were gone. I'll never forget that. And in my short 31 years of existence, I have never been pulled over more, then when I had my ol' Chevy Malibu. I guess "white boxy car" fits the description for 90% of crimes committed just about everywhere.

:p Bart

I've lead a pretty tame life, I guess... I've been in some fairly rough spots but everything worked out. Been to Russia twice (for a total of about 6 weeks - For a short time when It was mostly O.K. to tell about God in their Schools!!!) - Got followed by KGB folks... , and Mexico 5 or 6 times (a week at a time, building houses for poor families with approx 50 highschoolers on big convoys down and back). I've made several 2hour videos of our trips to build houses. A few years ago I had death threats made on me & several friends, by some freak woman and found the cops caused ME way more hassles than I could ever have imagined for over a year (Never believe the cops and courts are there to help YOU). Oh, and long ago we took my friend out for his bachelor party. It was about 1:00am and we stopped to get gas, there were 4 of us from 4 different states and totally behaving ourselves. About 10 minutes after leaving the station we got pulled over by 4 cop cars that cut us off at all for corners of the car and forced us off to the side of the road. With Guns out and lots of spotlights and such... Dragged my buddy out of the car and were searching him... Eventually the cop at my window asked us what we did. I told him "you're the one that pulled us over, I dunnow???" She said said "I'll go find out", so when she returned she said we had just robbed the gas station! We send our buddy in with a $20 to buy $10 worth of gas and he returned with $10. I think the attendant pocked the money and called it in. They made us pay again and said they hoped we learned our lesson!!!! What was that all about? Anyway That's a party to remember!!!!
Ha, even a boring guy can have a little excitement! :)

Spike
03/06/2007, 01:59 PM

Hmm.. year and a half for me... :p

Spike
03/06/2007, 02:04 PM
You all have husbands and wives and children and houses and dogs, and, you know, you've all made yourselves a part of something and can talk about what you do. What can I say? "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How've you been?"

Hi.
I'm, uh, I'm a pet psychiatrist.
I sell couch insurance.
Mm-hmm, and I - and I test-market positive thinking.
I lead a weekend men's group, we specialize in ritual killings.
Yeah, you look great! God, yeah! Hi, how are you? Hi, how are you?
Hi, remember me? I'm not married, I don't have any kids, and I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough.

It's *not* me! Why does everyone always think it's personal?

So I was in the Gulf last year, I was doing this thing anyway. And I came up over this dune, and I saw the ocean... and it was on fire. The whole thing, on fire, and it was beautiful. So I just sat there and watched it, and that's when I realized there might be a meaning to life, you know, like an organic power that connects all living things, God, Yahweh, I dunno.

ZEUS
03/06/2007, 02:30 PM
So I was in the Gulf last year, I was doing this thing anyway. And I came up over this dune, and I saw the ocean... and it was on fire. The whole thing, on fire, and it was beautiful. So I just sat there and watched it, and that's when I realized there might be a meaning to life, you know, like an organic power that connects all living things, God, Yahweh, I dunno.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that "this thing you were doing" was LSD... am I right, am I close? :p ;)

Joe_Black
03/06/2007, 03:28 PM
That or propane surfing! :rolleyes:

Spike
03/06/2007, 03:28 PM
I am going to go out on a limb and guess that "this thing you were doing" was LSD... am I right, am I close? :p ;)

Nahhh.. just quotes from one of my favorite John Cusack flicks: Grosse Pointe Blank

Who else could pull off playing a role in a flim about a freelance hired assassin being pressured to go to his high school reunion?

I went to my high scool reunion ...
"It was just as if everyone had swelled."

"I guess you could say I went west. You know — the way of Horatio Alger, Davy Crockett, the Donner Party..."

ZEUS
03/07/2007, 08:33 AM
It all makes so much more sense now! I forgot about that movie - its been a long time since I have seen it! Great, now I'm going to have to rent it; thanks alot...

Leah
10/12/2010, 05:38 PM
OMG!!! ROFL!!! I didn't know Dr. Evil owned a VX!!!

Leah
10/12/2010, 05:52 PM
I lived in Swaziland South Africa for a year and a half...OH! and I'm a natural blond.

Triathlete
10/12/2010, 06:39 PM
Some people might say that I spend entirely to much time in the pool, on my bike, and wearing my running shoe's!:bwgy:

Ascinder
10/12/2010, 06:43 PM
Some people might say that I spend entirely to much time in the pool, on my bike, and wearing my running shoe's!

LOL, I think more than some:D

Leah
10/12/2010, 06:47 PM
Some people might say that I spend entirely to much time in the pool, on my bike, and wearing my running shoe's!:bwgy:

Why are you riding your bike in the pool wearing nothing but running shoes???

Triathlete
10/12/2010, 06:52 PM
Multitasking!:bwgy:

Leah
10/12/2010, 06:59 PM
Multitasking!:bwgy:

Spoken like a "real man of genius"!

Ldub
10/12/2010, 07:39 PM
I asked the Boss to reopen this thread because...

After knowing many of you for more than a few years, I finally feel comfortable enough to share some of my experiences...:sleepgray

I've been pretty much a non entity, without much to post about, until I moved to the Big Island in 1983. At that point, I became a world class beach bum, & spent the next year or so chasing the perfect wave (boogie boarding) or the highest high...:smilewink

During that time, I took scuba lessons from what would turn out to be one of the best underwater photogs that I'll ever be fortunate enough to meet...http://westphalproductions.com/

After my first intro dive, he called me later in the day to ask what I was doing that night...being totally ignorant of where the conversation was going, I replied...nuthin. To which he replied..."good, were going night diving"
Scared skitle$$, I was like...ummmmmm...Ok...:confusedw

That was my REAL intro to diving, I got to see stuff that most vacation divers never see. The night brings a whole new cast of characters to the reef.

Since then, I've been fortunate enough to dive in the presence of more than a few shark species, including, but not limited to (ya just never know what's watching you while you're "down there") whale sharks, oceanic white tips, white tip reef sharks, false killer whales, manta rays, eagle rays, moray eels of the 10'+ range, & a whole bunch of other undersea critters that I can't possibly bore you with here.

Also, around the same time, I went into business with my soon to be X brother in law (I was married to his sister)...we started a Kona Coffee growing venture that required the bulldozing of 13 acres of virgin Hawaiian rainforest...OK, I'm not proud of that, but it did lead to some world class coffee...:yesgray:...http://clicks.superpages.com/ct/clickThrough?SRC=bpo&target=SP&PN=1&FP=profile&C=kona%2Bkulana%2Bfarms&PGID=yp401.8081.1286937054915.20125511868&TS=nbt&OF=1&ACTION=log,red&LID=2061321227&TR=50&bidType=FLCLIK&PGSN=B5&FL=profile&TL=off&LOC=http://www.konakulana.com

Anyhoo, that's a thumbnail sketch of one of the most entertaining portions of the last 53 yrs...mebbe I'll think of more at a later time or date...:_confused

Triathlete
10/12/2010, 07:39 PM
Spoken like a "real man of genius"!

Evil genius maybe but hardly a genius...hell, with my memory I'm lucky if I can remember yesterday!:yeso:

Ldub
10/12/2010, 07:43 PM
I lived in Swaziland South Africa for a year and a half...OH! and I'm a natural blond.

BOTH IMPRESSIVE...:thumbup:

Triathlete
10/12/2010, 07:47 PM
Who would of thought that we have more than just VX's in common Dub! I too was a beach bum in my younger years surfing, boogie boarding, and body surfing California's beaches in my younger years...then skateboarding when I lived further "inland" (still have my Powell Peralta skull&sword/indy/bones board hanging in the garage).:yesb:

And thanks for getting it reopened...I had read it before but apparently never responded.

circmand
10/12/2010, 10:28 PM

blew out my knee watching volleyball

Leah
10/13/2010, 05:00 AM
blew out my knee watching volleyball

OMG!!! ROFL!!!!

tom4bren
10/13/2010, 06:36 AM
I learned (the hard way) at a very early age that you should NEVER hit a basketball with a baseball bat.

Bob Barker
10/13/2010, 08:54 AM
I'm pretty damn boring. Best I got is a weight loss story. Went from 235 to 160 over one summer, and now back to a healthy 175ish.:sighb:

Spike
10/13/2010, 09:18 AM

Are those two items related somehow? :P

So, if you are a natural blonde, does that mean most women today have hair lighter than yours? (this bleached platinum blond trend really overdue for going away)

Spike
10/13/2010, 09:19 AM
I'm pretty damn boring. Best I got is a weight loss story. Went from 235 to 160 over one summer, and now back to a healthy 175ish.:sighb:

How did you do that Bob?
I am 205 and want to get down to about 180 ... being a stress eater sucks, even worse when you are aware of it.

Bob Barker
10/13/2010, 10:15 AM
I did it the wrong way. Starvation and a full length mirror!

Can't remember exactly, but I started running regularly, pretended to workout at the gym and literally starved myself until the weight was gone. Since then I've been in stuck in a rubber band syndrome, where I'll pack on heavy fat and then cut it all out again. It's not by choice, I just get really bad lazy streaks and depressed cause I'm being lazy and fat and that makes it harder to break out of the mess!

I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat... It's a vicious cycle...

Just to continue the Austin Powers theme:D

Now though I'm a tryathlete (emphasis on the try part!), and there is enough variety in the workouts for at triathlon to have kept me interested for a while now. I get bored with "daily grind" workouts and give up on them usually!

Leah
10/13/2010, 11:12 AM
Are those two items related somehow? :P

So, if you are a natural blonde, does that mean most women today have hair lighter than yours? (this bleached platinum blond trend really overdue for going away)

Hmm...related...you mean, like cousins?:yesgray::winky:

Marlin
10/13/2010, 03:30 PM
I have webbed toes on one foot, and my brother has a gill. Well, not really a gill, but he has what looks like a freckle on his neck, but if he has a cold, he plug his nose and make snot dribble out. Its connected to his sinuses...next kid would have been a frog or something.

circmand
10/13/2010, 03:34 PM
I have webbed toes on one foot, and my brother has a gill. Well, not really a gill, but he has what looks like a freckle on his neck, but if he has a cold, he plug his nose and make snot dribble out. Its connected to his sinuses...next kid would have been a frog or something.

Or a mermaid

Ascinder
10/13/2010, 03:53 PM
How did you do that Bob?
I am 205 and want to get down to about 180 ... being a stress eater sucks, even worse when you are aware of it.

Awhile back I read an article saying that if you restrict your workouts to less than 30 minutes each, you are five times more likely to stick with a regimen. Worked for me. Also it's the same old story it always has been: diet and exercise. If you make a solid promise to yourself to simply eat at home and only at home(excludes stuff eaten in the gym like workout shakes) then you'll lose weight just from that-if you eat healthy to boot, probably even more. Also people tend to think of weightloss by exercise in terms of cardiovascular type stuff like running and biking and such. I hate that stuff. Most people are shocked to find out that you burn as much or more doing strength training-i.e. weights and machines. Muscle also burns fat even while you're just standing still or sleeping so once you have more muscle, you automatically have less fat and you don't have to lift a finger expect to get the muscle and maintain it in the first place. It's one of the reasons people in shape tend to stay in shape-that genetics stuff is a load of bull. A couple things I've found to mix up the routine are kettlebells and the rowing machine. The rowing machine is great because it works almost all your muscles. You use your legs(largest muscle), back and shoulders(largest muscle group), arms, and to a far lesser extent abs. Bottom line is a rowing machine will crush you on the right settings. It's also low impact.

Bob Barker
10/13/2010, 05:08 PM
Umm... genetics has a HUGE amount to do with what kind of shape a person can get into.

Triathlete
10/13/2010, 05:39 PM
Awhile back I read an article saying that if you restrict your workouts to less than 30 minutes each, you are five times more likely to stick with a regimen. Worked for me. Also it's the same old story it always has been: diet and exercise. If you make a solid promise to yourself to simply eat at home and only at home(excludes stuff eaten in the gym like workout shakes) then you'll lose weight just from that-if you eat healthy to boot, probably even more. Also people tend to think of weightloss by exercise in terms of cardiovascular type stuff like running and biking and such. I hate that stuff. Most people are shocked to find out that you burn as much or more doing strength training-i.e. weights and machines. Muscle also burns fat even while you're just standing still or sleeping so once you have more muscle, you automatically have less fat and you don't have to lift a finger expect to get the muscle and maintain it in the first place. It's one of the reasons people in shape tend to stay in shape-that genetics stuff is a load of bull. A couple things I've found to mix up the routine are kettlebells and the rowing machine. The rowing machine is great because it works almost all your muscles. You use your legs(largest muscle), back and shoulders(largest muscle group), arms, and to a far lesser extent abs. Bottom line is a rowing machine will crush you on the right settings. It's also low impact.

Sorry, but nope, nope, and nope.
Genetics play a very big part in fitness! No matter how hard I train I will never be capable of running a 2:05 marathon, bench pressing 400 pounds, or... Yes, anyone can get to a certain level but only a select few have the genetic makeup to reach that next level...otherwise we'd all be living that Olympic dream.
As far as fat burning...there are many, many studies that show that done for the same amount of time aerobic activity burns more calories than strength training. Trust me I know...as an aerobic machine I put away a LOT of calories per day!
The simple factor to lose weight is to consume less than you burn. Simply cutting/limiting processed food, fried food and soft drinks from your diet will make a world of difference. Not saying you have to cut them out completely...it's okay to reward yourself occasionally!
And yes the rowing machine is an excelent all around workout....but it is aerobic.

Okay, I'm done jacking this tread...if anyone has any questions PM.:bwgy:

CrnCnn
10/13/2010, 05:51 PM
I screwed up a friendship in Reno.

I have not had a soda in 1 month and one week.

I realized how much I love my wife after moving back to AZ.

samneil2000
10/13/2010, 06:41 PM
I had a shattered L4 replaced with donor bone. Thanks to whoever that guy was that gave up some bone for me... :)

RickOKC
10/13/2010, 06:43 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if frog-brother's VX would have been a Dragon.

With my family tree, I'm lucky I don't have both eyes on one side of my head like a flounder. My hair started turning gray when I was 12, I have mandibular tori and a whole extra vertebra. The upside is that I'm slightly taller than I should have been, but my back hurts one-vertebra-more when it goes out.
:p

Ascinder
10/13/2010, 08:01 PM
Umm... genetics has a HUGE amount to do with what kind of shape a person can get into.

Genetics play a very big part in fitness! No matter how hard I train I will never be capable of running a 2:05 marathon, bench pressing 400 pounds, or... Yes, anyone can get to a certain level but only a select few have the genetic makeup to reach that next level...otherwise we'd all be living that Olympic dream.

Sorry, let me clarify my statement as it was taken out of context. What I meant to say was that genetics is no excuse for being out of shape as so many people use it as the red herring for their poor physical conditioning. No, I will never be the fastest, strongest, or most competitive guy in the world in any sport, but I sure can get off my butt and go workout and eat right, and genetics has nothing to do with that(unless they find a gene for lazy:rolly2:).

As far as fat burning...there are many, many studies that show that done for the same amount of time aerobic activity burns more calories than strength training. Trust me I know...as an aerobic machine I put away a LOT of calories per day!

Yes, time for time, I'll agree with you, but we are talking about weight loss(and fat loss in reality). I would agree that yes if you spend an hour of cardio against an hour of strength training the cardio is slightly ahead. But, people with exclusive cardio don't tend to pack on muscle the same as those who strength train. You as a triathlete focused athlete are lean and light because your sport almost demands it to be competitive and because the cardio oriented nature sculpts your musculature that way. On the same token those who lift weights tend to be stockier and bulkier because they are putting on mass instead. So where am I going with this? Like I mentioned before each pound of additional muscle burns calories all the time whether resting or not so if you add them all up at the end of the day, I think the strength training is ahead long term.

The simple factor to lose weight is to consume less than you burn. Simply cutting/limiting processed food, fried food and soft drinks from your diet will make a world of difference. Not saying you have to cut them out completely...it's okay to reward yourself occasionally!

Couldn't agree more. You don't have to be extreme in your diet, you just have to find ways to eat healthier and make it taste good. It's harder than it sounds and takes a really long time to actually make yourself a comprehensive enough menu that you can stick with it.

And yes the rowing machine is an excelent all around workout....but it is aerobic.

Yep, I was just throwing it out there as a good exercise to do that I personally really get a lot out of. I wasn't trying to say that I don't like cardio- I just don't like running :rotate: My boss out at guard however does and has been an avid exercise nut for years. He's now had 5 knee surgeries, has collapsed(broken) both the arches in his feet a total of four times, and is wearing an ankle brace right now. I pretty much got that message.

JHarris1385
10/13/2010, 09:44 PM
Alright with this diet and nutrition talk...I won't completely hi jack the thread, but since I see there are some interested I will posting a new thread about what I know and can provide. Lets just say its unreal.....AND I was informed by my doctor who was introduced by a triathlete.

vt_maverick
10/13/2010, 09:53 PM
I learned (the hard way) at a very early age that you should NEVER hit a basketball with a baseball bat.

... and I learned not to chase a soccer ball across a horse-shoe pit in mid-throw.

vt_maverick
10/13/2010, 10:00 PM
My boss out at guard however does and has been an avid exercise nut for years. He's now had 5 knee surgeries, has collapsed(broken) both the arches in his feet a total of four times, and is wearing an ankle brace right now. I pretty much got that message.

Similar issue for me, I played soccer for about 17 years and ran track for another 6, so I was conditioned to pursue cardio/aerobic/running based exercises. I started having shooting pains in my knees at 22, which I have since learned is due to a loss of cartilage and fluid in my knees; the doctors estimate I'll need one or both knees replaced by 50. I also have chronic lower back aches that the chiropractor tells me were caused by the millions of footsteps and kick-plants I did over all those years, which now causes me to carry about 30 lbs. more on my right foot than my left. So I definitely can attest that high-impact cardio/aerobic workouts can do long term damage.

Unfortunately low-impact aerobic workouts tend to require a machine of some sort (elliptical, rowing machine, etc.) which would force me to actually go to a gym. I was too lazy to do that before I had a kid, let alone now. Fortunately I still have a pretty high metabolism so I'm only 20-30 lbs. overweight, but I'll be happy to hear suggestions on stuff that can be done at home.

Bob Barker
10/14/2010, 02:46 AM
I once bought an SVO mustang to rebuild and sell for profit 2 years ago, and now it's in worse shape than when I bought it, I've spent more money on upgrades than the original purchase price and still have a few thousand to go. By the time I'm done with it I'll have spent a few thousand more on it than it's worth if it were in mint condition...

and even worse, I don't want to sell it any more!

Buffy
10/14/2010, 07:24 AM
Hmmm interesting stuff here.... I am the youngest of three and am always up for an adventure. I am heavily tattooed (kind of addicted to them) but work in a professional environment and nobody is the wiser. I have to laugh when the conversation of body art comes up. I have ridden my motorcycle in 40 of the lower 48 states and hope to get the rest in the next couple years. I was recruited by Bear Bryant to play football for him but actually turned him down to get married and would have played on his last national championship team. Have been a model and done commercials and all that fun stuff. Got back into football and played semi-pro for several years. Now the old body is suffering for it I've had surgeries on my shoulder, knees, ankle, right elbow and next month the left elbow gets redone. I have a wonderful wife who supports my vehicle habit and actually will crawl under the car and turn wrenches with me, good times! Well, better get busy on my VX as it has to be done by Thanksgiving week so I can have a car to drive..... every thing else I have is a manual trans. :smilegray

Stephen Biko
10/17/2010, 06:29 AM
Unfortunately low-impact aerobic workouts tend to require a machine of some sort (elliptical, rowing machine, etc.) which would force me to actually go to a gym. I was too lazy to do that before I had a kid, let alone now. Fortunately I still have a pretty high metabolism so I'm only 20-30 lbs. overweight, but I'll be happy to hear suggestions on stuff that can be done at home.

I use a schwinn airdyne excerise bike. It's still a machine, but it's somewhat affordable - pretty easy to find a lightly used one for ~$300 on ebay. On the advice of a trainer I am currently doing intervals (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training) of 15 seconds flat-out and 45 seconds recovery for 10 minutes plus a couple of warm-up warm-down minutes. Interval training appears to be unusually effective but nobody seems to fully understand the mechanism, just the results. (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Excess_post-exercise_oxygen_consumption) For a while they were calling it "oxygen debt" but that's proved to not be the case. Whatever is going on, it seems like a way to get ~45 minutes worth of cardio in ~15 minutes worth of time.

handeeman
10/17/2010, 08:33 AM
Stephen, boy you got it right Interval training is the way to go. It's something I discovered a couple of years ago after switching from beer to red wine for health reasons. What I try to do is fill a tea mug with red wine (no ice) consume it within 5 min., then take a 1min. interval and refill the glass. I do this a couple oor tree times (like now). Then with another inteveral of 1min. or soooooo i fell the grass wit ice (for the added wait) and whine. Whot I halve dicoverred is mi right arm is willy willy getin strongrr. Nowe Im gonna lern how to use the other right arm prolly by using too glasses. House this for "open kneeing" up a little. ?

Ldub
10/17/2010, 08:55 AM
Stephen, boy you got it right Interval training is the way to go. It's something I discovered a couple of years ago after switching from beer to red wine for health reasons. What I try to do is fill a tea mug with red wine (no ice) consume it within 5 min., then take a 1min. interval and refill the glass. I do this a couple oor tree times (like now). Then with another inteveral of 1min. or soooooo i fell the grass wit ice (for the added wait) and whine. Whot I halve dicoverred is mi right arm is willy willy getin strongrr. Nowe Im gonna lern how to use the other right arm prolly by using too glasses. House this for "open kneeing" up a little. ?

Looks like it's working well for you...:laughing:...:thumbup:...http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/party/party_35.gif..http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/party/party_46.gif...http://yahoofreak.com/animated%20emoticons/Drinking%20Animated%20Emoticons/wine%20drinker.gif