PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 Oil Designations???

Techy-D
03/02/2007, 10:12 AM
So I got some Mobil1 10w-30 (SuperSyn Technology Fully Synthetic) and plan to change the oil this weekend. I looked in my user manual and it says USE ONLY API, SE, SF, SG, SH, or ILSAC GF-1 Quality Oil
Additional designations of quality may also be present, but SE, SF, SG, SH or GF-1 must be included.

So I look at my new bottles of Oil and they don't seem to match any of those??? The bottle has ILSAC GF-4 API SM, SL/CF

Am I good to go, or did I find the wrong stuff? :confused:

Enquiring minds want to know!

nfpgasmask
03/02/2007, 01:17 PM
Good question. I've been using Mobile-1 10W-30 for the last few oil changes and I am due for one in 200 miles. I plan to keep going with Mobile-1....

Bart

So I got some Mobil1 10w-30 (SuperSyn Technology Fully Synthetic) and plan to change the oil this weekend. I looked in my user manual and it says USE ONLY API, SE, SF, SG, SH, or ILSAC GF-1 Quality Oil
Additional designations of quality may also be present, but SE, SF, SG, SH or GF-1 must be included.

So I look at my new bottles of Oil and they don't seem to match any of those??? The bottle has ILSAC GF-4 API SM, SL/CF

rowhard
03/02/2007, 01:50 PM
Well, if you believe the military which I do, here's what they say.And Mobil 1 meets the requirements of API

http://p2library.nfesc.navy.mil/P2_Opportunity_Handbook/6_II_4.html

Techy-D
03/02/2007, 02:18 PM
Well, if you believe the military which I do, here's what they say.And Mobil 1 meets the requirements of API

http://p2library.nfesc.navy.mil/P2_Opportunity_Handbook/6_II_4.html

I wasn't questioning the use of synthetics (Good article by the way), rather if I have the right one for my VX.

I do see that Mobile1 meets the API (Not actually sure what all these letters mean, but I shure can repeat them :) ), but the Owners manual says it also needs one of those other letter combinations. I guess that's where I'm trying to be carefull.

Sounds like GASMASK is saying that Mobil1 is Mobil1... I must have the right one if that's the case and I see that others are using it.

Anyone disagree? Would I be better off with something that has the right letters on the bottle, or does the Mobil1 Synthetic definitly Meet/Exceed these requirements?

psychos2
03/02/2007, 02:42 PM
Here is a link that will tell you all about the ratings. Mainly it is government thing. The oils must meet certain standards and every time they update the standards they change the #'s or letters.
http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/ilsacandgfoils.htm

Zorak
03/02/2007, 02:48 PM

The 2-letter designations in your owners manual and on the oil bottle are API service standard designations. The most recent one is SM; SL and SJ are also current. All the other ones (those listed in your manual) are now obsolete, having been superseded by the current ones. What this means is that an oil with an SM/SL rating EXCEEDS the standards which the obsolete designations referred to, so is a better oil than what your owners manual specified. Which means there is no problem with using it in your VX.
The GF-4 is the current ILSAC standard, much higher than the GF-1 that the owners manual specifies.
The CF refers to rating for diesel engine use so does not concern us.

If you want to know more about oil, the best site I have found is www.bobistheoilguy.com.

Techy-D
03/02/2007, 03:32 PM
Wow, I did a little reading and even learned a few things. :cool:

Thanks everybody, I now feel confident that I got the right stuff and my machine will love it too! :)

Sooooo... If the weather cooperates tomorow; New Oil + New Filter = happy VX. (PCV and other items to be done soon)

Techy-D
03/05/2007, 11:21 AM
Just an update,

I got my oil changed with no problems. It might be in my mind, but it does idle a lot smoother (Might also be the nice weather???).