PDA

View Full Version : Sharing the "New Toy"

Joe_Black
02/28/2007, 07:48 AM
Ever since I sold my '01 Ford F-250 crewcab 4X4 the need for a general good ol' pickem-up truck keeps coming into the picture. I've been borrowing my Dad's '94 F-150 whenever I need to tow and haul a bunch of stuff, but a 1/2 ton 4X2 just doesn't get it most of the time. Even though we have a Class 8 semi that's a bit overkill, considering a regular 2" receiver could be fabbed for it. With Hendrickson spring suspension it'd shake apart anything I hooked to it weighing less than 10 or 15K pounds! :p

So, I've been on the hunt for something with at least 3/4 ton suspension, diesel drivetrain, longbed and 4X4. Last night that hunt came to a close with a successful eBay snipe:

http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/8d/32/d095_1.JPG
1986 M1028 CUCV 6.2L Diesel

Now all I gotta do is rustle up a 700R4 tranny to replace the TH400 so I can go over 60MPH! LOL

etlsport
02/28/2007, 07:55 AM
very cool.. while your drivin itll look like the trailors moving by itself cause nobody will be able to see you!

question though.. what does the 1/2 ton rating mean? that mean like the tounge weight can be 1000 lbs?

Joe_Black
02/28/2007, 08:11 AM
Trucks a generally "rated" by cargo capacity, meaning a 1/2 ton truck like a Ford F150 or Chevy 1500 can carry 1000 pounds. Here's a general description from an online truck reference...

Full-size pickups in North America are sold in three size ranges - ½ Ton, ¾ Ton and 1 Ton. These size ranges originally indicated the maximum payload of the vehicle, however modern pickups can typically carry far more than that. For example, the 2006 model Ford F-150 (a "½ Ton" pickup) has a payload of between 1,400 lb and 3,060 lb, depending on configuration. Likewise, the 2006 model F-350 (a "1 Ton" pickup) has a payload of between 4,000 lb and 5,800 lb depending on configuration.

Towing capacity is typically a separate rating and has more to do with how the driveline, brakes and tow hitch are optioned out. My F-250 had the V10 and tow package which rated it for 15K towing. If I had gone with the diesel it would've been 17,500 pounds, but at the time the $4500 premium for the diesel versus $500 for the V10 didn't warrant the expense. Filling up that 38 gallon tank now would probably bring me to tears!

The CUCV we got is rated as a 5/4, or 1 1/4, ton suspension which is pretty stout. The M1028 though is a special version designed to carry a slide-in communication/command shelter so is rated for an additional 1000 pounds on top of that. These are seriously tough trucks, but very utilitarian. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to keep it military or make it a bit more civilized. A lot depends on how much I''m going to drive it I guess. We still have several diesel Mercedes I'm tinkering with, and I need to start working on the mold for the one-piece VX nose for the rally truck which means driving something other than the VX. If that's going to be this truck rather than a Mercedes then I'll need to put at least a radio and maybe A/C in it.

We'll see! ;)

etlsport
02/28/2007, 08:33 AM
thanks joe.. thats my new knowledge for the day.. i know for a fact that the vx can carry more than its rated 6-700 somethin lbs... the other day i was on the highway with over 1000 lbs in it.. (the entire cargo area was full of canned food stacked to the ceiling from the back of the front seat all the way to the spare tire cover plus me and a passenger)

anyway keep us updated on your your latest project, sounds like itll be cool.. especially if you outfit it to be a daily driver

ZEUS
02/28/2007, 08:42 AM
Nice Joe! I have an '84 M1008 in sand camo! I bought it for $600 and put $600 in it to get it running again - no title though. :( I bought an '83 2WD 3/4 ton a few months ago too to have my beast titled. I plan to swap bodies, engines, electrical, and all the better bits from the 2WD truck. The 2WD also has dual tanks and power everything plus A/C. These mil-spec trucks come with 4.56 gearing which is why they can't go over 65. They also come with a Detroit locker in the rear and some of them have a LSD in the front. I bought HumVee beadlocks and the OZ Goodyears to keep with the military theme. I plan to throw on a Banks Turbo kit and lift kit. From what I have read I should still be able to get 18 mpg after doing all this! They are stout trucks - I feel the need to get away from the 24 volt system though. I hope to start the swapping in the spring or summer and I should have some parts available soon after; if you need something let me know!

Joe_Black
02/28/2007, 09:15 AM
Zeus, you need to check this site out if you haven't found it already: http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com

The speed limitation is impaired somewhat by the rear-end, but mostly as the TH400 is only a 3 speed. The 700R4 has a 30% overdrive which will work with the 4.56 rear and bring you up around 85MPH top end. Eventually I'll likely get around 4.10 or maybe even 3.73 since I'll rarely need anything beyond what 4-low can provide.

I don't know if you're aware of the setup on the the CUCV, but it's a 24/12 volt system. The 24 volt is only for the starter and alternator with the rest of the system being 12 volt, which has some advantages. Since you've already got the donor truck no worries then. I've also seen where you can take some components from the 6.5L and swap the 6.2L to a serpentine drive on all the accessories.

Send some pics of yours as you work on it if you don't mind, I like the sand much better than woodland and would like to see the beadlock setup. :)

ZEUS
02/28/2007, 09:49 AM
I actually think the 24/12 volt system is gray area when initially trying to indentify what is 24 and what is 12 volt. I ordered a set of glow plugs for mine and they were for a 24 volt system. Also, the 24 volt replacement parts (starter, alternators) are more expensive than the 12 volt regulars; and 12 volt parts are easier to find when going on road trips if something fails. And since there are 2 alternators with the 24 volt system, it doubles the possibility of failure. I have a rebuilt 700R4 with a cooler and stronger internals in my 2WD but the tailshaft and housing are different than the 4WD versions - I thought about divorcing the t-case but it would be a pain. 35" tires will be my "overdrive" anyway!

Just a tip from my experience. Check the bolts on the steering box and check the bracket at the rear for the starter. There is a bracket on the block that secures the end of the starter if it is attached. On mine, the starter was mounted incorrectly when I got it and it stripped the gears on the starter and the flywheel. This, the need for a title, A/C, comfort, quietness, and some other things, were my reasons for getting a donor truck - I just got lucky to find a donor with a better body and new exhaust, tweaked motor, and electric brake setup.

Joe_Black
02/28/2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the tips! Fortunately mine has already been converted to full 12V and has a new starter and alternator. As for the trannies, from what I've been able to divine thus far is that the 4X4 version of the 700R4 is 1.25" shorter than the TH400 and is "supposed to" fit right up to the NP transer case. I'm going to spend some time on the 6.2L board and talk to the Advance Adapters folk before pulling wrenches on it though.

Oh, on that 6.2L site they've got 2 great books for the 6.2L. I've already ordered both as what I've previewed in them appears pretty much invaluable. ;)

ZEUS
02/28/2007, 10:27 AM
I almost ordered one of those books - not sure why I never did. Thanks for the reminder! I'll send you pics when I get into it again; you should send me pics too. Have fun with your CUCV, I love mine... it stinks, it smokes, it's loud, it vibrates, its bouncy... it's like a real big Jeep! :cool: If you can find some place to jump it - I "highly" recommend it!

I plan to install one of these in the beige color (again, to stay with the military theme): http://www.soft-top.com/Softopper/index.html

geshaw30
02/28/2007, 11:13 AM
Joe- the background looks like the barren waste that makes up 80% of Texas. Comin here to pick up the EBay treasure (and a BBQ run thrown in)?
________
Teen Sex (http://www.****tube.com/categories/39/teen/videos/1)

Joe_Black
02/28/2007, 06:22 PM
Joe- the background looks like the barren waste that makes up 80% of Texas. Comin here to pick up the EBay treasure (and a BBQ run thrown in)?
Mmmm... tempting! This one's up in Kansas, so we'll be picking it up near Mayetta while visiting for a Caterpillar get together in May. Unfortunately the drive back won't be bringing us down your way. :(

You still need to get over hear so I can treat you to some real BBQ! :p That was pretty good though, just not used to beef BBQ. Actually, I have to admit that Johnnyapollo has spoiled me with some pretty good Atlanta BBQ spots. Gotta get back to Pig-n-Chick for some pulled pork and tater salad! LOL!