PDA

View Full Version : Car Toys install = mixed results...

PHO2GR4
02/27/2007, 05:36 PM
I just picked up my VX from the Car Toys branch on Broad Street in Seattle. I can tell that I'm going to be very pleased with my system, when it is 100% up and running.

For now, though, there are only two real problems:

1) When I scheduled the install, I pointed out where I wanted the rear-view camera to go. "It goes in here", I told the installer, as I showed him both the inside and the outside of the half-moon camera bay.

Imagine my dismay when I arrived today to find that all they'd done is drill a hole in the mounting plate to allow the camera wire to go through...and then they just stuck the camera + bracket to the OUTSIDE of the half-moon's mounting plate using two screws and some sticky-tape!

2) When I shut off the engine, I now get a slight shock if I'm touching the metal part of the key or the ignition slot. That's not right...

I called Car Toys when I got home, but the installer had already gone home for the day. The guy I spoke with first said "But that's just how they are mounted", and when I said "No, there's clearly a special rear-camera space in my VX". Then he claimed that there must have been "some miscommunication" on my part, to which I replied "Well, no, since I showed the inside AND the outside of the camera space to the salesman AND the installer..."

It sounds like they might just do it over, the proper way, if I take the VX back to them on Thursday. But he didn't sound 100%, and I wasn't very happy with their "customer service" especially since they advertise that "YOU MUST BE 100% SATISFIED".

Am I being picky? Should I be happy with a 1.5" cubical tumor on the outside of my rear hatch, and an electric shock every time I shut off my VX?

PHO2GR4
02/27/2007, 05:56 PM
But there are definitely COOL things about this stereo upgrade, too:

Let's start off with a shout-out to my homies:

Shawn (Psychos2) made me a subwoofer enclosure for my 10" CDT Audio sub. It fits like a GLOVE (a really, really tight glove!) in the spare tire hatch. And it sounds FREAKIN' AWESOME now. I actually had to bring down the bass a bit from the installer's level, because at mid- to high-volumes, that sub pretty much blows out the windows.

As long as I never, ever get a flat tire, this rear-door sub enclosure is an extremely worthwhile mod. If any of you are 'on the fence' about it, just do it: contact Psychos2 and get him to build an enclosure for you.

Greg (Orion) hooked me up with a mint-condition Ford Taurus cup-holder/coin tray insert. It's now residing in the lower single-DIN CD changer space. It also fits like a glove, and it looks completely stock. I can confirm that standard Wild Cherry Pepsi cans fit in there...but nothing larger than a regular soda can!

I'm still testing the rest of the system, but it rocks like a mo fo. The rear camera WORKS, even if I don't like the camera mount job. The Kenwood DVD/stereo/GPS Navigation/Sirius Radio/iPod adapter all work perfectly, as far as I can tell. The retractable 7" monitor looks pretty damn close to a stock system, if the VX had come with one! It's a perfect height and size, and it is BRIGHT and sharp. (At night it automatically dims.)

So. Good stuff. Thanks again to Shawn and Greg for the assists!

PS: YES, photos are coming. It's dark and raining outside right now, plus I'd rather wait until the rear-camera tumor has been excised.

cyronman
02/27/2007, 07:13 PM
You're not being picky.
They clearly were dumbasses when it came to passing along the install info.
They could have even called you before they touched it if there was a misunderstanding.

Does the cup holder get in the way of the gear shifter at all?

biju
02/27/2007, 08:13 PM
i agree... you're not being picky at all...

I've heard their work is dubious at best - NATIONWIDE... and read several online reviews to the same tune...

when you take it back - hover over them like white on rice... shoot, if you have to go so far as to project manage them through the camera install - do it.

Or, there's always my favorite solution... Stand in the corner of the install bay and wield a knife crazily until the job's done right.

(...that visual always cracks me up... haha... adopted from Happy Time Harry of ATHF.)

-biju.

PHO2GR4
02/27/2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys...I didn't THINK I was being picky, and considering what the whole package cost, I hope they'll agree that the camera should be installed differently.

Cyronman, the cup holder fits perfectly and doesn't get in the way of the gear shift at all. Again, I promise to add photos to my gallery when the fixes are made!

Any ideas on why the ignition is shocking me now?!?

MZ-N10
02/27/2007, 10:56 PM
can we take pictures of the botched install job?

nfpgasmask
02/28/2007, 09:58 AM
This is why I am afraid to anything other than my own work. No matter what, NO ONE cares as much as YOU.

Bart

PHO2GR4
02/28/2007, 10:06 AM
But...but...they seemed to care BEFORE I'd given them any money!!!
:confused:

I've been cruising around a bit today, and the new system sounds very, very nice. I am definitely impressed. It amazes me how much better the VX can sound with some simple changes!

Adding a good subwoofer with a decent amp, and then routing all of the low-end to it, seems to free up the stock speakers to do a better job handling the mids and highs.

The extra power makes the music clearer...not just louder...although the loudness is a fringe benefit!

Bottom line, I'm very happy with the new stereo. And if they fix the rear-camera mount, I'll be even happier.

PS: SNOW in Seattle today.

rowhard
02/28/2007, 02:58 PM
Eric, for sure the sub make a heck of a difference. The O.E.M. speakers ain't that bad like you said once you take the low's away from them, good enought for my old ear's anyway. I do hope that Car Toy's makes it right for you and if not, let them know there around 2300 Vehicross.info members that read this page and will be happy to take all of their business to a non car toy shop.

kpaske
02/28/2007, 04:20 PM
I've only known one person who went to Car Toys (in Tacoma). They charged him nearly $1000 for a custom fiberglass sub box, a single mediocre 10" sub and amp (I don't recall the brand). Since then I've always avoided them.

Darn right you should be upset. You told them how you wanted your camera mounted and they screwed it up. You get a jolt every time you touch the ignition. That's not normal! They should fix it, at their own expense, and smile while doing it. Don't let them forget how rare and well maintained your vehicle is.

biju
02/28/2007, 04:46 PM
Don't let them forget how rare and well maintained your vehicle is.
Excellent point!!! Anybody who comes in close contact or will be touching my VX gets the winded lecture. Sometimes twice, just to get the point across...

-biju.

psychos2
02/28/2007, 05:30 PM
PHO2GR4, THANKS !!!! Can't wait to see pics. shawn

CrnCnn
02/28/2007, 05:46 PM
PS: YES, photos are coming. It's dark and raining outside right now, plus I'd rather wait until the rear-camera tumor has been excised.

I like progress pics. See were its been, were its going and were it is...

To quote another thread you said you were waiting for the skidplate

To quote Rons email to me "If you get the impression that my products take a while, it's because they may be big parts (skidplates especially) which require agonizing attention to detail and I do ALL of the fabricating when I can spare the time. My spare time IS limited and when I do have it, I work on finishing other peoples orders as quickly as humanly possible without compromising the quality that I would expect in any part."

PHO2GR4
02/28/2007, 06:23 PM
I like progress pics. See were its been, were its going and were it is...

To quote another thread you said you were waiting for the skidplate

To quote Rons email to me "If you get the impression that my products take a while, it's because they may be big parts (skidplates especially) which require agonizing attention to detail and I do ALL of the fabricating when I can spare the time. My spare time IS limited and when I do have it, I work on finishing other peoples orders as quickly as humanly possible without compromising the quality that I would expect in any part."

Okay, I'll get off my Duff Beer and take some interim photos.

I'm glad that Ron sent an email to you! It would be nice if he sent one to ME, but I don't want to bug him because I would rather have him finishing the skid plate than composing emails, if his time is so tight.

cyronman
02/28/2007, 09:02 PM
...Anybody who comes in close contact or will be touching my VX gets the winded lecture. Sometimes twice...

-biju.

HaHa, true!

JAFO
03/01/2007, 12:04 AM
Let me summarize my experience with Car Toys "Professional Installation" with a photo of their handy work on my Jeep Wrangler.

http://home.comcast.net/~mckinneyml/Car_Toys_Bad_Install_-_Jeep_Wrangler.JPG

What kind of "Professional Installer" would have installed the two screws in the upper left corner? I mean really, what good are either of those going to do?

Behind the scenes, they apparently had problems aligning the installation kit with the two "real" mounting bolts as they drilled a new hole for each one. Then used the original holes anyways.

I mean it doesn't take much education to figure out if it doesn't line up correctly either you have the wrong kit or you are mounting it wrong.

Second, they may hype their "100% Satisfied" rule, but it does NOT apply to installation labor! If you don't like it they will take back the hardware but they won't do anything about backing up their service.

When I purchased a full stereo system for my Wrangler I listened to all of the components, talked with the salesmen on several occasions about what I wanted and showed them specifically how it was going to be set up in my Jeep. They all agreed that the system that I purchased, which sounded great in the store, would be perfect in my Jeep.

After it was installed I was very disappointed in how it sounded nothing like in the store. They said, "Ya, of course. It's a convertible. What did you expect!"

I did understand and that was what I thought I was paying them for was their "expertise" on how to make a convertible sound good.

JAFO
03/01/2007, 12:07 AM
Oh, and a side note: If you take it back, they will charge you removal labor too. Or you can remove it yourself.

PHO2GR4
03/01/2007, 10:13 AM
Wow, they don't really advertise THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to try to get down there today to wrap this up. (If I get any busier, I'll have to push it back until tomorrow.) I'll tell them the TRUTH: I love everything about the system...it looks great, sounds great, works perfectly...but I KNOW that I told both the installer AND the salesman that I wanted the rear-view camera installed IN THE REAR-VIEW CAMERA CUBBY.

I mean, I'm just a dumb photographer, but if somebody hands me a photo and a frame, I don't just staple the photo to the back of the frame!

The weirdness is, the rest of the install looks 'better than new'. The head unit fits like it belongs there. The rear sub was hidden behind a tasteful cloth grill.

Then they just jackhammered the camera onto the back of the hatch!

Boneheads. ::sigh::

PHO2GR4
03/01/2007, 05:34 PM
Well, good news, I hope. I took the VX down to Car Toys this afternoon, and the installer agreed to make it right. No hassle.

I'll drop it off tomorrow morning, and hopefully have it back by afternoon.

JAFO
03/01/2007, 05:37 PM
Good to hear!

WormGod
03/02/2007, 07:44 AM
Sounds like a group of ameteurs to me. The Car Toys around this area is a huge joke. Unless you have a lowered Corrolla that you want them to put flame decals on.... BACKWARDS, don't ever use them.

PHO2GR4
03/03/2007, 01:32 PM
(On a side note, now I'm thinking about having backwards flame decals installed...)

But seriously folks, the install has now been completed to my satisfaction. The camera is in the camera cubby, and it all works great and looks perfect.

I'll be a happy camper in about two months, when I take the VX on its first camping trip. That's the extended drive I've planned, all through the Utah desert! Yeah, baby. Roughin' it with GPS navigation, satellite radio and an iPod. And my dogs. Does it get any better?

Photos later today...no, really...honest.

rowhard
03/03/2007, 02:59 PM
Eric, what camera did you install and how is it at night for backing up as in parking, backed into a wooden fence at the motel last time we was at Seaside OR

PHO2GR4
03/03/2007, 03:24 PM
It's the standard Kenwood camera. Car Toys threw it in FREE, which is one reason I was being so polite with them about their botched install! :eek:
I spent a lot, but they threw in enough freebies to where (now that everything works perfectly) I feel like I got a pretty good deal.

The camera works great at night. I haven't tested it out at any ::ahem:: MOTELS lately, but I've driven around town a lot at night.

Digging it completely.

Here are a couple of images of the BAD install...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/camerabad3.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/camerabad3.jpg) http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/camerabad2.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/camerabad2.jpg)

IndianaVX
03/03/2007, 04:16 PM
like THAT would have stayed on there long......that was a red carpet for a punk, if you know what i mean......
that was awful. how could an "installer" after he was done, swipe his hands together, and say to himself, that he did a good job??
Glad you got it fixed and are happy with it!!

PHO2GR4
03/03/2007, 10:17 PM
Jeez, I never even thought about hooligans ripping off the camera. And you're right, they probably would have LITERALLY 'ripped' it off the back door.

I'll post photos of the new, improved camera mount tomorrow.

PHO2GR4
03/04/2007, 12:05 PM
...and since 'today' is the new 'tomorrow', here is the photo of the improved installation. This looks much better, and it still works perfectly.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/cameragood.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/cameragood.jpg)