PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Smell/Leak

Hotsauce
06/23/2002, 04:10 PM
I've been getting a fairly strong smell of fuel from the back of my car for the past month or so. I've been ignoring it till today really.

This morning while I was tweaking something in the hatch I saw several stains on the road under my VX. They chouldn't be from my car of course.

One of my friends came over to get something welded. "Hey your car stinks like gas, looks like it has a leak" We looked underneath, and sure enough it was leaking from one of the snap fittings by the gas tank.

Not having spare O rings or Jesus clips, I was loath to take it apart, so I just reached up to rotate the fitting a lil to try to seat the ring better. Gas poured out and down my arm.

Grabbing a rag, I discovered that the fitting just needed to be clicked together. I tried to pull it apart, thinking it had worked loose. It was solid, wouldn't give. This makes me think it had never been properly assembled at the factory.

The connector looks like a standard GM/Chrysler 5/16 fuel snap, I am ordering spare rings and clips for my emergency kit.

John C.

Moncha
06/23/2002, 05:06 PM
I take it that you got it fixed??
Thanks for the info, I'll be under Moncha checking for loose stuff now..;eeky;

Hotsauce
06/23/2002, 07:03 PM
Yeah, fixed for now. Time will tell if it stays fixed. My VX starts up first try now, so it may have been losing rail pressure while it sat.

John C.

Tone
06/23/2002, 08:41 PM
Could you please post a picture or describe again where the fitting is? On the fuel line from the tank to the filter?

Thanks - glad you fixed it before you started welding....:eek:

Hotsauce
06/24/2002, 02:30 AM
Just forward of the fuel tank. There are 3 lines on the passenger side. This was the leftest one of the 3.

John C.

MGI
06/24/2002, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the info. I will have to check mine. I always get a gas smell when I fill the tank, and have to drive with the windows down.